Would you loan your woodsplitter to your neighbor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't let them use it by themselves. I'd go over and help, but loan out, no way. I've turned friends down from loaning out my splitter. I didn't pay 5 figures to have mine made, to loan it out to someone to use. Ain't going to happen.

Damn, I need to quit being so dang nice. I swear once a month one of my friends borrows my truck. I get home from work and it's gone, look on workbench and there is usually a note, or sometimes a text message.

Problem is, they know my keys are always in the ignition and truck is parked in the garage. Garage is never locked so I guess it's my fault. Lol

I just saw your location.

That's the wonderful part of living in this area, a majority of the people around here are trustworthy.

My neighbor has bought his firewood from a buddy of mine for several yrs. My buddy raised his price slightly. My neighbor bought his wood from another guy, guess what, it isn't split!!!! So, my neighbor comes over to ask if he could borrow my splitter(not rent or offer to pay), I politely said I prefer not to loan out any of my power equipment.
I tell them that my heat only comes from wood so theyre asking me to
lend them my furnace, no splitter/no heat!

Seems I am on the other end of things. I would gather up my winter wood than I would split it all at once. I didn't own a splitter but my father did. I would borrow his splitter for a week or two to get my wood split. The problem was I have a brother and a sister that also borrowed the splitter during the year also. It seems as every time I borrowed the splitter I would end up welding up bits and pieces and tightening things and rebuilding a carb or replacing something broken or leaking. I decided it was in my best interest to just get my own splitter so I didnt have to do continual repairs on my dad's splitter, so I purchased my own. The great thing is now I have two splitters I end up working on lol. Oh well at least I know mine is always ready to go to work when needed.

My splitter maybe to the right person as has been stated above. Now my chainsaws will be lent to no one I don't care how competent they are. I go to great lengths to keep all of my saws in good working order, and if for some reason they are going to get f**ked up it will be by me and only me.

I wouldn't let them use it by themselves. I'd go over and help, but loan out, no way. I've turned friends down from loaning out my splitter. I didn't pay 5 figures to have mine made, to loan it out to someone to use. Ain't going to happen.

Damn, five figures must be a hellava spliiter! I'd like to see pics. For that price I'd expect it to find wood, cut, bring home and have split by the time I got home from work.

Thanks for all the responses. I do have a few buddies that do borrow stuff, hand tools etc., most times they just come and get them, it's a two way street. The neighbor in question is the same one that I will plow his driveway and never get a thank you, another neighbor will send over a plate of homemade cookies after I plow for them, get the picture!!! I work hard for my money and I upgraded to a Timberwolf TW- P1, that is stored in the garage covered up.

I just saw your location.

That's the wonderful part of living in this area, a majority of the people around here are trustworthy.

Yes they are good people, I guess I should have said that the unlocked door is accessed through the back yard. While I'm at work the dog hangs out there! So that's how I know it is someone who knows my dog!

That and I have retired neighbors on three sides of my house, with a large hill outback. They are the best security system "retired folks" a person could have.

:confused:

I guess "of value" is different to some.

To me "of value" is good friends and family, good health, having laughs and memories, etc.

Something like a chainsaw or splitter is merely a tool.
I could understand not wanting to loan out equipment that you use to earn a living, but I suspect with many on here that is not the case.

If you think polishing your chainsaw is important, I'm sorry for you.

Damn, five figures must be a hellava spliiter! I'd like to see pics. For that price I'd expect it to find wood, cut, bring home and have split by the time I got home from work.

Yes pictures please..
BBB

Pics can be found in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...es-a-few-splitters-ive-built-recently.287746/

The blue one is mine. Specs are Honda GX630 engine spinning a 28GPM pump, with a 5"x3.75"x24" cylinder, 35+ gallon hydraulic tank, and hydraulic oil cooler with LED temperature controller, and adjustable height log table. It was a great project that me and Alex put our heads together to come up with. I've had it in the timber twice thus far and well it just works.......compared to the other one I had. This is built to last and be the last one I'll ever need to buy/build. :cool:

I was asked this same question by a neighbor new to cutting wood . I told him not right now in the season but I offered my hand tools .. I loaned them my splitting axes and sadly I had to go on a recon mission to retrieve it three months later after waiting on it . My stuff was rusty and my x27 had a beat up edge . Now I realize how fortunate I was to not make the mistake of loaning him my 1100$ hydrolic splitter ! So to answer the question - NO

:confused: ...if the neighbor has this, why does he need to borrow your wood splitter...he already has one that does dishes, laundry, fetches beers, and makes sammiches in addition to splitting wood...:confused:
True dat!! Hadn't stopped laughing long enough every time I see that sticker to think that far in depth about it lol. I think you're on to somethin square1, I'll have to keep a "closer eye" on the neighbor.........

If you ask to borrow something, then the answer depends on who, and what they are asking to borrow. If you feel it's okay to ask then that's fine, but after a few bad experiences I'm learning to say 'no' most of the time. If you don't like 'no' as one of the possible answers then don't ask. As for wood splitters... I have lent my SpeeCo for a day, in the past. Now that I have considerably more money in splitters, the answer is a flat no on lending them. I have taken it a couple times and helped a friend do some wood up, but that's a little bit, no... that a lot different.
Chain saws... :) That's all their getting is a smile!

Back