Would you remove this stem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I removed two stems of a multi-stemmed red oak pictured below due to fungus issues / decay / growing in to other trees. What is left is a partially healthy stem about 40 - 50 ft tall but with some old, dead, and decaying stubs. There are also two massive wounds to the co-dom trunk because of the two stem removals. I am looking for your opinions on whether to remove the remaining stem. The homeowner is OK with it and I already gave her a price for it but I know that she does love her trees so I am trying to make the best decision.

My thoughts are 50/50... I think the two massive wounds are going to be breeding grounds for decay organisms to get in there because they are going to take a long time to close up. The nectria canker that was on one of the stems does protrude slightly in to the base of the trunk connecting all three stems so I am assuming it is going to spread there.

I could keep it alone but am worried about the previously mentioned issues + there is one spot where multiple branches got cut off and are all dead stubs now creating a weak point in the trunk.

All of this is pictured below. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    583.1 KB · Views: 49
  • InkedIMG_1666_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_1666_LI.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 48
  • InkedIMG_1667_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_1667_LI.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 50
  • InkedIMG_1669_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_1669_LI.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 48
Decay will spread from those big wounds into the remaining stem, but it may take many years. It looks a little ugly, but still serviceable. If the client likes it I'd leave it. The upper knots don't look concerning based on those pics. You can cut that dead stub back - not cutting into live tissue...or just leave it. Again, decay will enter there but it is a while before it really causes problems...

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I will call the customer and see what she wants to do.

Back