Would you run this cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newer cylinders are nickasil. With the bikes I never seen nickasil chip when porting. I thought the nickel was impregnated into the aluminum cylinder. Is the chainsaw cylinder lightly thin plated?

I purchased special stones for boring nickelsil. At least clean it up when the piston goes gernaded, I did plan on removing as much as the piston I could from the cylinder wall before honing on the bikes.

I just unstuck a husky 240s and the cylinder only shows hard rub marks no big score marks.
I polished the cylinder with 1500 grit paper which removed most of the aluminum shrapnel. There was very little.
Now I just ordered a set of ball hones for nickasil. I figure to put the cross hatch that holds oil back over the hard rub marks. The new piston has lines in it to hold oil plus the cylinder having the cross hatch to hold oil. Plus I’ll do my moly treatment to both the cylinder and piston skirt.
On the startup no wear will occur.

I hung around at the husky dealer and watched him save many chromed cylinders all he did was hone it lightly, pop in a new piston and rings. Of course the hard chrome plating wasn’t scored.

IMG_8510.JPG 50-180 microns, depending on manufacturing, read 70-80 is normal. That cylinder of mine is junk.

My buddy, who is a welder, fixed the broken fins for me!!
4fec65429e28b76e6ba1ddaa0ea7879e.jpg
e0cc7927c6d999cc20e736921d1daf4a.jpg
bb8a6e7f33641cbafd9b6ce8218dc56e.jpg

Back