wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Red Bull energy drinks have a lot to answer for. Either that or crystal meth.

That video kind of highlights the difference between younger/less experienced tree workers and older/more experienced ones. When guys first start they don't know their limits, so they're pushing, trying to see how far they can take it. It is sort of a high too. Plus when you get started you often underestimate how much work there is in a job, which means you've got to push the limit to make a buck. When you get more experience, you know where the limits are, and you want to stay well inside them. You know the difference between when you got something right and when you just got lucky and very nearly messed up. Plus you know how much work is in a job, so you tend to allocate the right number of hours/workers/equipment most of the time.

Those guys had a fair bit of gear though, so they look like they probably are well established/experienced. What makes them keep doing it?

As an aside, does anyone know why he kept running his lowering rope under itself? Seemed like he was doing it intentionally.

Shaun

Those Red Bull energy drinks have a lot to answer for. Either that or crystal meth.

That video kind of highlights the difference between younger/less experienced tree workers and older/more experienced ones. When guys first start they don't know their limits, so they're pushing, trying to see how far they can take it. It is sort of a high too. Plus when you get started you often underestimate how much work there is in a job, which means you've got to push the limit to make a buck. When you get more experience, you know where the limits are, and you want to stay well inside them. You know the difference between when you got something right and when you just got lucky and very nearly messed up. Plus you know how much work is in a job, so you tend to allocate the right number of hours/workers/equipment most of the time.

Those guys had a fair bit of gear though, so they look like they probably are well established/experienced. What makes them keep doing it?

As an aside, does anyone know why he kept running his lowering rope under itself? Seemed like he was doing it intentionally.

Shaun

Some guys feel that it won't come off the stub when it's underneath itself. To me it's all the same I don't think it maters. I wouldn't want a video of myself knocking around power lines on the net.

they got it done and thats all fine and good... but working like that by the skin of their teeth is extremely dangerous and stupid... one day that #### is gonna bite them in the ass HARD... i just hope no one gets killed... and working to 830 pm is a great way to piss off everyone in the neighborhood...

We have some huge cottonwoods here in Michigan and I did a 100' monster here. There is a lot of time involved in one of those trees if you are rigging as they really spread out. I am a better safe than sorry guy and would never take that risk like they did I cut them to a manageable hight and drop them. They did have some nice equipment.

:cheers: we have some here but the big boys are tulp trees 8 to 12 ' dba 150'+ i due post some pics from time to time go to tomtrees work pics

They should of taken a little more off the top to make sure it was going to clear the wires and I hope the guy cutting had a hard hat on. Other than that I don't see much wrong with flopping it.

.....Those guys had a fair bit of gear though, so they look like they probably are well established/experienced. What makes them keep doing it?....

Debt up to his nose? Every now and then you see somebody with a ton of gear pop up and fade away in a couple of years. I generally assume they financed all of that because and they forgot they had to buy fuel too when they ran the numbers so they couldn't keep up with the payments (or something along those lines).

I live around here and I've always wondered how he hasn't been sued for trademark infringement... lol.

Last edited:
I think a lot of these posts are a bit catty. There is little or no evidence that these chaps are on hard drugs. They are taking some risks in this video but other than that, I find it hard to draw a line from almost taking out primary lines to smoking rock. Just sayin.

I live around here and I've always wondered how he hasn't been sued for trademark infringement... lol.

It seems that there are a few MONSTER TREE CO's in this country, I was wondering if it was a franchise. And aside from Tom getting worked up ( which is actually surprising considering he does way crazier TD's I am sure) this kinda of job is something I get hired to do all the time.
Of course these days I usually pass on jobs like this and I think a company with a crane would have been safer BUT just think what they did in the old days.

Back