Wranglerstar technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the stuff you are cutting i can see why the stump is cut low ,the useable logs are shorter ,but does a conventional face cut devalue the log at all ? I know here they want then flat across the stump like a humboldt face cut gives you .
Out logs that are going to a mill have to be flush cut on any end including the butt log, so that means we have to trim any steps out which you get with any type of falling cut.
Thanski

With these YouTube folks don't they make money from posting videos to get more views....once they have posted all they know on a topic then perhaps they venture into areas where their ambitions don't match their capabilities. Whether an instructional video is 'right' has no bearing on the matter.

With these YouTube folks don't they make money from posting videos to get more views....once they have posted all they know on a topic then perhaps they venture into areas where their ambitions don't match their capabilities. Whether an instructional video is 'right' has no bearing on the matter.

While that is a strong idea.

That stranglerstar vid is one of his first...

Cody's background is wildland firefighting where trees are cut a little below waist height so as to make the safest cut. Wildland firefighters are not loggers where saving every inch makes the faller more money. In addition he is cutting his own trees on his own property. I suspect he will flush cut the stumps since he will likely be driving vehicles or equipment there. As far as saving the butt flare as some of you advocate, are you scaling from the big end? Do you know what I just asked?

I will say I do not like his 4" or bigger stumpshot at all. In my world I want a 2" to level stumpshot for most every conifer. I'm not talking about a situation where a jack is used or a potential limb locked tree, just a normal tree. Hardwoods are a different story.

Anyway... Cody seems like a very nice and polite person. I have seen some of his other projects on YouTube and I think he is an artist. Does he make mistakes? Yep. What is that saying about casting the first stone?

In wild land firefighter or forest service type sawing you are typically taught to fall standing up. Or in a position you can control the saw and make the cut and be aware of your situation. You can easily go back and cut the stump without a tree over your head. There is no stump value on a fire, just don't crush yourself or the people digging line or swamping behind you. You also don't have to deal with swell or rocks typically at that height. Try it you might like it.

What he does, is all dependent on how much he's being paid to do it!

It's all about money on his channel these days!! I can't even watch it any more!

SR

I also would advise Cody to yell "timber!" much earlier. I yell "FALLING! or TREE FALLING or BACKCUT!" just before I start my backcut. You need to give anyone near you time enough to react to the tree.
if I did this I would either need a bull horn or a cell phone to call them all at long and longer distances!! just one of the perks of working single or with no more than 3. 2 in the field and one on the landing works great!! as far as wranglerstar, a wasted purpose in what I see and see again ... he needs to tend a water truck or something less investing in experience like falling timber!

Cody's background is wildland firefighting where trees are cut a little below waist height so as to make the safest cut. Wildland firefighters are not loggers where saving every inch makes the faller more money. In addition he is cutting his own trees on his own property. I suspect he will flush cut the stumps since he will likely be driving vehicles or equipment there. As far as saving the butt flare as some of you advocate, are you scaling from the big end? Do you know what I just asked?

I will say I do not like his 4" or bigger stumpshot at all. In my world I want a 2" to level stumpshot for most every conifer. I'm not talking about a situation where a jack is used or a potential limb locked tree, just a normal tree. Hardwoods are a different story.

Anyway... Cody seems like a very nice and polite person. I have seen some of his other projects on YouTube and I think he is an artist. Does he make mistakes? Yep. What is that saying about casting the first stone?
Thought his background was originally with Columbia Helicopter timber falling?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thought his background was originally with Columbia Helicopter timber falling?

Nah man, he's a part time wild fire guy, and a retired fireman.

Oh wait yer talkin about Tarzan Cody... Yeah Tarzan was a pro timber faller, all over the west coast. Too many Cody's in the world... Too many Matt's for that matter too.

Oh wait yer talkin about Tarzan Cody... Yeah Tarzan was a pro timber faller, all over the west coast. Too many Cody's in the world... Too many Matt's for that matter too.
Thanks for straighten that out I was thinking Tarzan.

it's all in the wording northy!!! matter, is matt,ER..... JUST REMEMBER THERE'S A LOT OF "MATTER'S" OUT THERE!

Can't comment on the 'stars technique, I haven't and won't watch the video.

Some years back he made a video about changing balljoints on his truck. I needed to do the same thing on a similar truck and watched his video which gave me a really good idea of what was involved before I started in on the project. I watched a few more of his videos and enjoyed them overall for a time. He got to chasing the almighty views, his videos went to junk, he sensationalized things as bad as the media that I don't pay any attention to either, so I stopped watching him.

Basically see it as a real waste of what could have been a decent channel on 'tube.
Not a total waste, if you watch the way he does sh!t, just do the exact opposite and you’ll be good. There are a lot of those types out there, all new tools and gadgets and no real experience.:cool:

Back