Wraptor talk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these....http://www.ropetekwraptor.com/videos

Man that guy's voice in the first vid is annoying. (yeah I know who he is)

Anyway, would like to hear some opinions on the unit both positive and if found negatives as well (cost may be one).

In the spring I climb so much I often get blisters on my hips. Anything that will cut fatigue and increase speed and production will get my hard earned bucks. I see this as one. On a good spring day I can pay this unit off in one day easy.

Not much different than a bucket or crane assisting tree work. Just a money making investment. If you want to be a caveman sign up for a Geico commercial and make some money on it.

I know most of the guys who have Wraptors, and Paul, the designer. Bummed I didn't make the West Coast Get Together, but my head wasn't in the right place at that time.

dunno why you find Gerry's voice irritating.....He's a number one great guy, and his delivery and presentation are first rate. Is he a professional speaker or speech therapist trained? Certainly not, but who cares.

I'm getting one quite soon!

It's very well made, has a well thought out sheave assembly, probably better than the Oddysse, made by Act-Safe, which isn't sold in the US, but is over double the price. Powerquick's unit is way more $, as is the Atlas.

Last edited:
Nice device...........ridiculously expensive!!!!

Besides there are other powered ways to ascend & much more affordable!!

LXT..................

Yeah, I agree the price is a little daunting at first but when you use your imagination a little you can see it is worth it. Just compare it to the price of non motorized ascender systems.

I have spoken with Paul a little and researched it and it seems first class. The first one was sold in Feb of 09. They have a demo program and my guess is that soon there will be a huge backlog to get one.

Have you been up on one Roger?

LXT..................

There is LXT but none that I know of that you are in control of the ascent.

LXT..................

None of them are as simple. All require a retrievable block, two lines and control from the ground.....I've used my Simpson chainsaw winch. A truck winch could be used...but isn't safe. Same is true of the GRCS...which costs the same, and to achieve the same speed, a Milwaukee right angle drill is required---list price ~$700

Now, if you're talking body powered, I'll give ya that.

The Wraptor is the ONLY powered ascender that is reasonably priced....

Last edited:
Y

Have you been up on one Roger?

nope, but as I said, I'm buying one soon. Shoulda got one last year, when Paul offered my one for $2k....

First, I'm buying one (and later another) pro Canon SLR...both shoot 1080P video.. through a choice of $5k worth of Canon glass in my quiver, look out, Hollywood.

Gotta record a 7' old growth maple removal we have coming up....

I posted about it in PinkFloyd's big elm thread.....

I like it but am waiting for a smilarly priced electric version. I think $2500 is very reasonably priced not for what it is but what it can do and thats work on more trees per day faster. Reason I want electric is cause I dont want to be breathing in the exhaust fumes which apear to trail right at the climbers mouth. These types of devices will become the future of tree care

Last edited:
This device certainly should contribute to the elimination of spiking while pruning. Utilities and others that cannot do the job without them may change their minds if they have a Wraptor in the truck.

Man that guy's voice in the first vid is annoying. (yeah I know who he is)
LOL. I actually find Gerry's voice very soothing. It is strongly reminiscent of listening to Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

In the spring I climb so much I often get blisters on my hips.

Ouch. You gotta figure this one out. There is no reason to be climbing through that kind of discomfort. Have you played around at all with the frogwalker system?

I have not laid my hands on a Wraptor but I have followed its development closely and it appears to be a very, very good tool.

I don't understand the cost limitations people put on tools. If it works for you and makes you money, it is a good investment. People drop significant amounts of money in both purchase and maintenance on their lift trucks with just a shrug of their shoulders.

The other issue of gas as opposed to electric. Don't see the problem here. For many of us gas powered tools are an everyday occurrence. We spend hours or days on end bucking down stalks with a 460 right in your face. The small amount of time spent on a gas powered ascender is inconsequential. Maintenance and upkeep on the gas unit is something we should be very familiar with.

Dave

This device certainly should contribute to the elimination of spiking while pruning. Utilities and others that cannot do the job without them may change their minds if they have a Wraptor in the truck.

that would be nice.....hell half the time I couldnt get a good running tree saw, imagine them spending $2500 per crew on this! not likely gonna happen in the utility realm!!! although id rather use this tool for ascending than a pair of hooks! :cheers:

LXT................

I. Reason I want electric is cause I dont want to be breathing in the exhaust fumes which apear to trail right at the climbers mouth. These types of devices will become the future of tree care

you're using an electric chainsaw too????:clap:

I am going always get the highest strategic tie in point. If a big multi dom I may have the Wraptor sent up or leave it tied in to the tree. Hell, it only weighs 20 lbs. Other times I may just use my Ascentree and pantins. But I think you underestimate the time and energy expended on the initial climb.

Shoot a beanie up with the big shot, secure the line, and 100' in a minute. Less time than it takes you to make a post on AS.

you're using an electric chainsaw too????:clap:

I think it was admirable the way you defended Guy on his screw up (with the Wraptor) in the thread on another site. It is unusual and courageous for someone to not go with the pack when someone is getting slammed.

I researched the device by reading all threads on all forums.

Its a great device. The price point arguement and the gas/electric arguement are weak at best...IMO.

Hey man we're all human, and Guy is a friend, so who wouldn't defend a friend?

Too bad I did not know of Guy getting slammed, on da-buzz I assume?

I just talked to the guy from Wraptor (Paul?) and they have ten or so in stock, but will be in Bailey's catalog that is going out in two to three weeks. Right now shipping is ~14 days, but once the catalog goes out they will be in backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back