Wrench for Remington spark plug.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by the rest of the items for sale i doubt its a forum member. Looks more like an estate buyer...Bob

There is a pic on here, I just saw it a few days ago. gimme a minute.

That Bantam doesn't have the bottom finger gaurd on the handle. If you're using it on a 754 or similar saw it may not work. Thats got to be the dumbest set-up I've ever seen on a saw.

That saw thats for sale in that auction is almost certainly a repaint. That NOS bar was for sale about 2 months ago.

That saw thats for sale in that auction is almost certainly a repaint. That NOS bar was for sale about 2 months ago.

Absolutely. And not a real good one. Look at the pic of the serial no plate. They painted the plug wire, it's all blotchy, there's a run etc...

That saw thats for sale in that auction is almost certainly a repaint.

I don't think so. Lots of saws built back then were partially assembled before being painted. I'm sure that the engine assemble was all painted red before the rest of the white body parts were installed. A lote of old McCulloch chainsaws were painted that way.

I have no idea it that saw has been repainted, but there have been several posts over the last few months mentioning the so-so factory paint jobs on Remington saws. The paint and paint job on my Remington SL-4 (re-labeled Montgomery Ward) saw is not very good.

To be fair, the saw build quality is solid.

Can't fault the castings or the fit and finish of the metal parts, but the paint is thin and delicate, like some Homelites.

Yep, over spray and a couple small runs.
11-04-06006.jpg

11-04-06007.jpg

another nominee for spark plug placement, I wonder how many plugs were knocked off.

11-04-06014.jpg

My plug wire is painted white.

At any rate, I can not see how the open end of the wrench could be used on the bar nuts plus the opening is too big so it has to be the spark plug end. The deep well end would be for the bar nut if it is 9/16", an open end would never work there.

Something to keep an eye out at flea markets and garage sales.

The paint and paint job on my Remington SL-4 (re-labeled Montgomery Ward) saw is not very good.

You're right on with that one. I have an SL-11 that was repainted Monkey Wards yellow and white right over the red and white Remington paint. Then for whatever reason (either REmington went bust, or Montgomery Wards did) It was rebadged, and reserial numbered as a Remington, but not repainted. The serial number plate says model MK serial 1231. It has Remington decales.

My 754 had plug wire painted too. The reason I think that one is repainted is its missing the decale on the top cover. Plus like I mentioned about that NOS bar being for sale a while back.I had that in my watch items and forwarded to a freind who was looking for a race bar. I don't know the reason he didn't but it.

Build quality is good on those old saws. The recoils are a little soft. The sound quality is what I like most on the old Rems. I would love to hear one of those big 84CC beasts crack open. Better yet the PL-5 100CC version.

another nominee for spark plug placement, I wonder how many plugs were knocked off.

I wouldn't be as worried about knockin off plugs as I would be fingers on that pull rope handle. YOW!!!

Original J6J Champion spark plug?

Anyone have one to post a picture?

If you use a skinny open end wrench on the plug between the housing and the top fin on the cylinder , you have to have an automotive type plug. Your garden variety CJ6 (what I'm using) is a shorty and the hex is below the top fin, out of reach of an end wrench. There is a 1/2" difference between where the hex winds up shorty versus automotive.

Yup, mine pulled back with a couple times with authority! :msp_w00t:

Almost ready to try mine in some wood.:msp_unsure:

Here is a pict of a new original J8J that is identical to a J6J, they are a big plug. I have some J6J`s but can`t seem to find a pict of one.

Thanks for the pic. The open end wrench has to be for the plug.

CJ6 'shorty' compared to lawnmower plug w/el cheapo open end wrench. View attachment 179050

The sheetmetal wrench fits in the gap between the top of the cylinder and the housing.

These old devils were built before the 'shorty' plugs were developed.

Now we know what interchange to look for at O'Reillys.

Those old devils take a 13/16" socket, most vintage saws came with a set of tools including a scrench type T shaped tool, one end was for bar nuts,other end fit the sparkplug with the screwdriver used on the holding screws plus the chain adjuster screw.

I'd like to get in on this Remington tool action......

Very interested in any talk of NOS Remington saw tools. As I don't currently own any, I thought I`d share some pics of the ones I`ve made to get the job done.
I found that an old style 13/16 spark plug socket cut down is just the trick......

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back