Yardmax 4-way Wedge for Hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't agree more SB47. The very though to split I refer to as the "uglies". They get thrown on top of the stacks and people can take them for free as a bonus. No one ever turns them down.

Can't agree more SB47. The very though to split I refer to as the "uglies". They get thrown on top of the stacks and people can take them for free as a bonus. No one ever turns them down.

I set them aside until I've split everything else, then I sometimes try to re work them if time allows. If not I sell or get rid of them and move on. My camp wood pile always sell fast, cuz I sell it cheap just to get rid of it. We also like to sit around a outside fire and the big knots always make for long burn times, so I burn a lot of it myself. If there to big I will noodle them down with a saw but otherwise I don't wast my time with them. Power equipment have limits and one should always be aware of those limits and not exceed them.
Thats why I up graded from a 22 ton unit to a 40 ton unit. But even my 40 ton unit has limits and it is my work horse that I depend on every day. My 40 will split heaver wood then the 22 ton unit did but again it still has limits and I can't afford to break down because of my hard head. Sometime you just have to say, OK! I give up, you win.

I read through the manual of my Yardmax 25 ton and I didn't see where it mentioned anything about which wood for the 4 way.
I've used it in smaller oak rounds without any problems. I probably not gonna try it in big knotty rounds, I'm broke and cheap and I want my splitter to last a long time.

I read through the manual of my Yardmax 25 ton and I didn't see where it mentioned anything about which wood for the 4 way.
I've used it in smaller oak rounds without any problems. I probably not gonna try it in big knotty rounds, I'm broke and cheap and I want my splitter to last a long time.

Your a smart man. Just like trucks, they have load and tow ratings that if exceeded could result in damage. Drive it hard and it will wear out much faster.

....Just like trucks, they have load and tow ratings that if exceeded could result in damage. Drive it hard and it will wear out much faster.

Take care your stuff takes care of you!
The cycle time on 25ton is good for my home use,,doesn't leave me twiddling my thumbs much. If Ida got a 34 ton thinkin maybe would use a 4 way more.

IMHO, if one is going to use a 4 way wedge on a regular basis I feel it must have:

- Be adjustable by hydraulic control
- Be able to lower enough so the 4 way part does not come into play and the splitter can just break very large rounds in half where they can then be worked up or quartered again
- Since I always work by myself and will never have a conveyer because I stack immediately, the 4 way would not work well in my situtation

c5rulz, I like mine. Hard to see the scale here but the pusher plate is about 12" square. The single wedge about the 4 way wing is about 28" high, the wings are about 12" each. The red part of my tble is about 36" wide x 72" long. Splitter throat is 38" long.
View attachment 635057

I see a pile of nice evenly cut wood with almost no knots or forks and most are all the same diam. If your gonna use a 4 way, your using the correct type of wood that could make it productive and less troublesome. If I had piles of wood like you have, I would try one. I get wood from tree companies and it's never consistent, Most of the wood I get are very large rounds that have to be noodled down, witch makes the odd shaped quarters, that would not work with a 4 way.
nvphs7.jpg

SB47 you starting product looks very similar to what I deal with. Are you working on log landings and getting the log cut offs?

I mark each round to length with spray paint using and aluminum rod with 1/2 holes at 15 1/2" . I also load the rounds close to size so that I don't have to waste time raising and lowering the wedge. And yes the wedge is hydraulic up and down. The working side of the splitter has 2 angle irons to hold rounds in place, I put 2 end to end on the tracks and 4 standing up and split them before lifting more up. Lots of pictures of it on here in different places under my user name.

Bought the Yardmax 35 ton last weekend and love it. Compared to my FIL’s yardmachine 20 ton it’s amazing. Which not to dis credit the yardmachine it’s been a war horse. The 4 way worked great. A little small for my wood needs since I have a outdoor wood boiler but was perfect for his add on wood furnace. Spilt mostly cotton wood for burning this time of year but flew down a few pieces of pin oak and it didn’t even grunt.

20181004_184347.jpg 20181008_184426.jpg My splitter has a hydraulic four way that tucks down out of the way when I just want it to be a two way. It's a 28 Ton commercial unit, when I see some knots I work around them with the 2-way. The four way is nice, I split directly into my skid steer bucket. The picture below is a 36" White Oak Round with straight grain.

View attachment 683649

20181004_184347.jpg

Old thread,

Well I haven't changed my mind, but did change splitters to a new but used one:

The log lift is supposed to be good for 600#, it wouldn't pick up one yesterday, it was a monster.

ka4col.jpg

2qd9xn7.jpg

e9d6yf.jpg

2nittk.jpg

1hv3mt.jpg

I like that iron and Oak Splitter you have there. I looked for one but could not find one so I end up getting an ALLWOOD splitter.

I like that iron and Oak Splitter you have there. I looked for one but could not find one so I end up getting an ALLWOOD splitter.

I wanted Alex of A.E. Metalwerx to make me one but he was busy and couldn't get to it this year. The Iron and Oak is OK, but there are a couple things I don't like such as the way the hitch has to be removed in order for the log table to be installed. Cycle time on this being a 22 ton is very fast.

Back