Yay or Nay? (Stihl 011 AV, non runner)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Got my eye on a cheap Stihl 011 AV, in fine condition but won't start (can't tell what the problem is atm)
Should I buy it, at around 40$?

Yay or nay? :D

They actually are a nice saw to run - good for the smaller stuff and quite agile due to the reed valve construction. You'll probably need new fuel lines, fuel filter, carb kit and oil pump diaphragm to get it to run and oil right...

But know that if a bearing is bad, you'll have to split the case, like a Stihl pro saw. Also, they have an oil pump that works off of crankcase impulse. If a diaphragm is bad, you'll have a hard time finding parts. A used oil pump runs about $40 on ebay. I have a few of the 009-011 series, non-working, and wish that I didn't. For $40, worst case you can part it out.

Just bought two from a member on here and all I had to do was fuel lines,carb kit,and new vent lines oil pumps oiled good. Had a lot of fun reworking them have less in two saws then if i would have went and bought a new ms170. I say go for it.

It all depends on why it isn't running.
Aftermarket pistons, ignition modules, oil pump diagrams etc aren't hard to come by and are mostly reasonably price, and some older Stihl dealerships still have a small stock of genuine spares, but cylinders, even used, are getting rather hard to find (not to mention expensive relatively to the saw), so I'd say removing the muffler and having a look at the piston is critical.

Taking off the muffler isn't that easy on that model.

While not as quick and easy as on, say, a 029/MS290, it's still (Stihl?) better than to look around for a sound 011AV cylinder. Plenty of used small saws around, so it's rather pointless to buy a non-runner if one has to wait months for a cylinder to become available.
Or at least that's my idea, but I am not a collector.

You have to pretty much disassemble the saw to remove the muffler, so you might as well buy it.
But if it were me, I would pass, unless the bar and chain was in great shape.
They are a pain in the ass to work on, and I have several laying around here anyway.

You have to pretty much disassemble the saw to remove the muffler, so you might as well buy it.
But if it were me, I would pass, unless the bar and chain was in great shape.
They are a pain in the ass to work on, and I have several laying around here anyway.

If you have a top handle better hold on to the throttle cable. Some dude has one on eBay for $49. Plenty of the long ones around , but the short ones must be NLA from Stihl. I fixed one for the Stihl dealer here this week that they were going to scrap using an 011AVT I had in the pile.

Back