Yellow Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A few years ago while on vacation in Vermont I was able to bring back home to Pennsylvania a round of Yellow Birch. I NEVER see it here in PA; we have other Birches but I've yet to see Yellow Birch. Is it prevelant where you guys are, and how do you like it as fuelwood? I thought that it was very good-thanks for any responses!:)

It's one of the best woods for burning. Long hot slow burn. But keep it under your hat. It is rare. It grows slowly and has been lumbered out pretty much. It is also used for funiture making. I cut a big one down on my property because it was in the way of my cabin site. I am going to use for the floors in the cabin.

I am in the river valley just below the Adirondacks. I usually get a couple of logs of yellow birch each year when I buy log length firewood. I think this stuff burns really well, the bark on it is almost like it is soaked in gasoline when you throw it on a bed of coals and it gives really good heat. Also I love the smell of birch in the wood stove. Sometimes bigger stuff I get can be a bear to split if it was a really limby log. The splitter almost tears it apart instead of splitting it. You seem to see more of it up in the mountains than here in the foothills. I wouldn't pass any of it up I could get my hands on for firewood.

I live in the Northern Catskills of NY and have a few nice yellow birch on my property. I have to date been reluctant to cut them down because I only have a few.

Latest posts

Back