Yellow pine toneage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twochains

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was about to thin my pine thickets and sell some pine poles. I got to thinking that with it being winter and the sap being down, is my pine going to weigh as much right now or wait till spring when the sap comes up? Pine poles don't bring a whole lot by the ton to start with, but I don't really how much weight will be lost due to the sap being down. I usually only cut pine poles for other people during the summer months, so honestly I really don't know how much weight difference there will be. Anybody have any feed back? Thanks in advance!

(the pole yard isn't going to tell they are going to be light) :msp_sneaky:

Last edited:
I don't know if it relates to your pine or not, but the fir we cut here is heavier in winter. The trucks can be far overwieght hauling wintercut, while in the summer they can't even reach the legal limit.

Huh... does fir have as much sap as pine? I don't know if species or region would have an effect or not??? Thanks man!! :rock:

check the prices from winter to summer, maybe that in the winter prices go up? maybe down? If they are up a fair amount then by all means cut em and ship, if prices are down or only marginally better then summer then wait till summer

I will call 2moro and check. Prices on poles here stay relatively the same year round. I know they have dropped in the past but it was due full yards. Thanks for your reply man! :cheers:

typically the papermill adjusts pay for winter vs summer weights here-

that may not apply elsewhere

If it has been a wet winter and you have dry ground you might get a premium, a lot of ground is not loggable in the winter and sometimes demand exceeds supply. I have family in south MS and it pays to check around and see who is needing wood

Yep! This particular yard starts cutting back when full. Lots of gate haulers wait till good weather...maybe I can beat them. Thanks!

Back