Yellow Wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN Ripper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What the heck is this?

I got a few lengths of this log from a friend. It was cut in the spring and the cut ends were all black as tar from drying-but when I cut it up into 16" lengths and split it up this past weekend it was very yellow inside. Trunk was about 16"-20" in diameter, grain is a lot like an ash. It was twisty but split by hand very easy and with little effort despite the twist. Picture didn't quite capture the deep yellow color.

Is it Hackberry? I thought Hackberry was white/grey color but I've only seen it in lumber form.

I'm gonna go with Moleberry as well, give us a pic of the bark. The only 2 yeller woods I've come across in the midwest so far is Moleberry and Osage Orange...er...Hedge

Black Locust. More of a snot green tint than yellow. That bit of bark in view also matches the coarseness of BL.

Mullberry tends to more of a rich, yellow/orange when fresh cut, and the ends will weather brown for quite a while before turning to the charcoal color of seasoned wood.

looks like black locust . if you have a pic of the bark I could tell you for sure. I burn about 6 cords a year of black locust great fire wood burns hot and long. can be harder on your equipment when cutting.

There's both in log form out back, both need to be cut/split, if I get ambitious today, I'll get a picture for comparison.

Locust is still my vote.

Both will keep you warm, but mullberry takes longer to season for max btu value.

Okay, here's the photos, fresh cut, and they really are pretty close.

Mullberry photo
Firewoodaugust2009andAlexbirthda-13.jpg

Mullberry photo
Firewoodaugust2009andAlexbirthda-12.jpg

Black Locust photo
Firewoodaugust2009andAlexbirthda-11.jpg

Black Locust photo....black streaks similar to OP's photo.
Firewoodaugust2009andAlexbirthda-10.jpg

Last edited:
Black Locust. More of a snot green tint than yellow. That bit of bark in view also matches the coarseness of BL.

Mullberry tends to more of a rich, yellow/orange when fresh cut, and the ends will weather brown for quite a while before turning to the charcoal color of seasoned wood.

That's what it looks like to me, too.

Jack

muleberry or locust

does the bark come off easy were their lots of tangled branches on these trees or a small amount of branches were the trees single trunk or multiple trunk mule berry tends to have multiple trunks locust almost alwasys single trunk what does it smell like locust smells like pee if you can answer these questions i can tell you what you have

Back