Yep, hard at work...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been waiting for Wed to arrive so I could go wooding again. Not gonna be. It is pouring rain today, supposed to clear up this afternoon but I want a day for it to get a bit drier out out there. Yanking dead down stuff out of 4' grass that is still soaking wet does not appeal. Aiming for Thursday now.

Harry K

Right now it is 93 outside, but look what my weather widget thing is saying for tonight

"TONIGHT
MOSTLY CLEAR. WINDY. LOWS IN THE UPPER 50S. NORTHEAST
WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH DECREASING TO AROUND 5 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT"

Upper 50s!!! woo HOO fine sleeping! The window fans will def feel like air condo!

There needs be a special forum on Nude Firewooding for those afflicted with the WoodPiles. Seems a drastic need here.

Pics mandatory. :msp_scared:

you're expecting this...

3.jpg

and will be getting this...

BearAndFirewood2.JPG

----------

103F today...thpppt!!!

We're lookin' at temps in the high 90's for Wednesday and Thursday, but high humidity with it... heat indexes well into the 100's. It's gonna' be a bit more than this here Yankee can take; Too damn hot this early in the year, this far north. We've been dry and windy (oh yeah the wood has been seasoning) but finally picked-up a bit over an inch of rain in the last 5 days or so... enough so the crops are good for a couple weeks anyway. Looks like it's shapin' up to be a long, hot, dry summer.

Switch it up here and had 5" or rain in 1 hour. Sucks for wood outside as well as my clams and oysters. They'll be closed for the next two weeks.

Wow, they're saying 97[sup]o[/sup] today... and with 75% humidity!
Got out'a bed a 4:00 AM and fired-up the A/C... tryin' to get ahead of it.
Not that it'll do me much good, I'll be workin' on a tower and the top of a grain leg today... talk about your nutz saggin'.

So much for the rain we got over the weekend... it'll all get sucked away today.
Hope the firewood don't self-ignite.

92[sup]o[/sup]?!? L-O-L
72[sup]o[/sup] is more like my cut-off for roof work (whenever possible that is).

I wish that was the case. 60°to 72° is near perfect weather for rubber roofing but that leaves way to short of a window to get my yearly list done. My biggest customer owns about 1.5 to 2 million sq. ft. of leased out industrial space and I'm responsible to keep it all dry. It takes a good part of the summer to do the replacements and repairs on all of his different buildings.

New record for me!

Woo hoo, broke my splitting in the heat record by three degrees! I was eating dinner and the weather widget updated from 100 to 102, so I shovelled it in, ran outside and took to swinging the fiskars! My old record was splitting at 99 F.

So, about ten rounds in, Gf comes out tells me my computer went POP and shut down.

great....grumble.....I've seen this before, so hot inside it just gets too hot and the thermal protection kicks in. Fine, just fine..pulled the side panel, flipped the UPS off, blasted it out with electrical spray, let it sit a minute, kept the side panel off and got it to boot. After repairing the drive (not much harm with a journaled file system), got back online.

Think I will invest in another case fan, a 120mm.

Yep, warm. Gonna go back out in a few and swing some more. This oak deserves to be split now.

Oh ya, the weather alert went off and gave a fire hazard warning, only the second time I think I ever heard that one here.

Woo hoo, broke my splitting in the heat record by three degrees! I was eating dinner and the weather widget updated from 100 to 102, so I shovelled it in, ran outside and took to swinging the fiskars! My old record was splitting at 99 F.

So, about ten rounds in, Gf comes out tells me my computer went POP and shut down.

great....grumble.....I've seen this before, so hot inside it just gets too hot and the thermal protection kicks in. Fine, just fine..pulled the side panel, flipped the UPS off, blasted it out with electrical spray, let it sit a minute, kept the side panel off and got it to boot. After repairing the drive (not much harm with a journaled file system), got back online.

Think I will invest in another case fan, a 120mm.

Yep, warm. Gonna go back out in a few and swing some more. This oak deserves to be split now.

Oh ya, the weather alert went off and gave a fire hazard warning, only the second time I think I ever heard that one here.

About 90 here @ 7:30, busted up some Oak Quarters for an hour. I keep my rounds strategically placed so I have a pile to work on that's in the shade any time of day.

Hello,
We are still firewooding here in south central Pennsylvania !!!!!!! Remember.....you can never have enough wood !!!!! Wanda and I are going to go out in about an hour and finish splitting up the pile of bucked wood we started earlier in the week !!!! This is with a splitter and not by hand, but it's still WORK !!!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Another record sliced...

...by Fiskars Man!

One oh six degrees! Didn't eat dinner quite yet, but had to go out and knock out half a dozen rounds before it cooled off. This is actually the highest temp I have seen living here.

Figured I'd add to this thread. I spllit the last of the box elder in the back yard that I've been avoiding for months, finally got sick of mowing around it. 66° and reasonable when I started, 82°, gettin sticky and running out of shade when I finished. Tomorrow evening, I'll have a little bonfire to clean up the scraps and call it done. (Well, except for the load in the truck, but I ain't sure where I will put this junk, my firepit stack is full, and the overflow stack I made last time is gonna have to move soon so I can get to another project. Maybe I'll just give it to the neighbor and let him worry about it.

attachment.php

Notice the hat on the truck box. I spent a few years in the army, and it turned me into a "hat guy". If my hat's off outside, it's too dang warm, or I'm working too hard.

Neat thing I just noticed about my new phone - pictures are titled as a timestamp. Easy to know right when they were taken, and much better than the ugly timestamp on the image many cameras have. (Yes I also noticed I have fat fingers that get in the way of the lens sometimes!)

Figured I'd add to this thread. I spllit the last of the box elder in the back yard that I've been avoiding for months, finally got sick of mowing around it. 66° and reasonable when I started, 82°, gettin sticky and running out of shade when I finished. Tomorrow evening, I'll have a little bonfire to clean up the scraps and call it done. (Well, except for the load in the truck, but I ain't sure where I will put this junk, my firepit stack is full, and the overflow stack I made last time is gonna have to move soon so I can get to another project. Maybe I'll just give it to the neighbor and let him worry about it.

attachment.php

Notice the hat on the truck box. I spent a few years in the army, and it turned me into a "hat guy". If my hat's off outside, it's too dang warm, or I'm working too hard.

Neat thing I just noticed about my new phone - pictures are titled as a timestamp. Easy to know right when they were taken, and much better than the ugly timestamp on the image many cameras have. (Yes I also noticed I have fat fingers that get in the way of the lens sometimes!)

Ahh Box Elder! The " Patience wood ". Requires lots of patience to deal with!

Latest posts

Back