Yep... life is good...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
According to my thermometers, it’s 19-degrees outside this morning… and I woke to a house that’s 72-degrees on the inside… and I haven’t even bothered to turn the backup furnace on yet. I have enough wood from standing-dead elm and blow-downs in the basement to easily get me well past the New Year. Around 12 cord of oak sitting in stacks outside (6 cord covered to keep it dry). Several cord of standing-dead close to the house and easily accessible if I’m in the mood to harvest it on the nicer days. Just sittin’ here in my slippers, sippin’ coffee, and wonderin’ what I’m gonna’ do all winter to keep from getting bored. Probably haft’a drive y’all nuts by tellin’ ya’ over and over and over just how warm I am…

lol its a good feeling setting here in the ole slippers sipping coffee for sure! warm is good, but cool is better setting out on the ice with a bucket of fish to be had for dinner!! especially when there cooked on top of the wood stove that is fueled by the wood that was put up by your self for just an occasion............... so if you find your self bored and reminiscing of the warmth, slide on up north and cool with the rest of us!

Yep! I can see the smile on your face from here. Something about free heat makes it all worth while. :clap:

same here,whitey.. house is nice and warm,esp after all the improvements we did to it this last year. new windows,3/4 pink styro under the new siding..what HUGE diff.. have about 8 cords of oak,hard maple, and ash thats dry, and at the rate were going, i doubt if ill use 1/4 of it!!! and we used to use approx 8 cords per heat season!! no drafts either, so i can sit in the north room, drink coffee,, and laugh at the weather..and if the current goes off,,,still stay nice and warm!!!!!!!!!!!! like one said,,i need to put in the small wood cookstove,,and really tell the gas co's to fly a kite!!! and i just hooked up two weeks ago,,with a tree co that said i can have all the wood they get!!!!!!! 12 miles away!!! life cant get much better!!!!

its far from FREE but worth every penny in satisfaction !!!lol

when people deliver trunks,,and big limbs,,directly to my house,,and i only have to cut them to length,,and split and stack,,thats about as close to free as i can get!!! the splitter,,is miserly on fuel..all day long,,wont even burn 1 gallon..

when people deliver trunks,,and big limbs,,directly to my house,,and i only have to cut them to length,,and split and stack,,thats about as close to free as i can get!!! the splitter,,is miserly on fuel..all day long,,wont even burn 1 gallon..

is that an electric splitter ?? cuz i know mine consumes half a gallon an hour running at work speed !!! and where do you get the free gas ? close to free and free are very different lol not starting a discussion just stating a fact ,i know wear you are coming from and its all good !!!cheers jk

Hmmmmm...... half gallon an hour?
WOW! My splitter holds one and a half gallon, 7 HP Tecumseh, automatically idles down with the ram at rest... and I have to work my butt near clean off for most of a day to run it out'a gas.

13hp honda runs full throttle all the time ,does a cord in 45 min ,and i aint complaining about the fuel mileage [or cordage ] lol jk

I'm with you both on the enjoyment and the 'boredom' aspect. I have around 6 cord B. Locust in the round waiting to visit the Fiskars. Get in around an hour/day when weather permits. I'm afraid even that fun is over with for the winter now. First snow today and more on the way. I may break a long standing rule (never work in the snow) and dig stuff out to split.

Harry K

14-degrees outside this morning... still sittin' here in my slippers and sippin' coffee.
Plenty warm in here.
Yep... I'm gonna' be bored out'a my wits this winter.

Tossed a couple of pieces of oak in the furnace this morning, just on principle... after all, it is 14-degrees outside... and now I'm comfortable with a t-shirt on. I ain't gonna' be able to sit here all winter, its just not in my nature, but it sure is nice to know I can if I choose to. I'll probably still spend most Saturday mornings doin' a bit of cutting... but unlike last year it won't be a "have to". And if the weather is crappy... well, I'll just make a second pot of coffee, put my feet up and think back to last winter when I didn't have the same choices. Yep... life is surely good.

I don't even care if'n we get 30-feet of snow this year... 'cause unlike last year, I ain't gonna' haf'ta go wading around in it.

Na... Na... Na, Na... Naaa.

In Floyd County, out along the river, 'bout half way between the towns of Charles City and Nashua.

Lived in the Waverly area for 9 years. I think olyman is from your neck of the woods. Good to see another IA fella on here.

Back