Yep, Spring is Here All Right...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean. It was almost 80 here today, haven't needed the OWB for the last 5 days since it has been so mild.

Just got in a few minutes ago from re-firing and loading the firebox as the thunderstorms rolled in that are firing up due to the sharp cold front rolling across Missouri right now.

Supposed to be down around 20 by morning, so I set the Ranco back up to 170 from 155 so I'll have a hot boiler in the morning.

Steve

Man, I'm kicking myself for not getting more wood in on Sunday. I was sick as heck so I couldn't do it. I should have asked the wife to. I will be out of indoor wood by morning and what I have left outside is covered with ice. I am about out of seasoned wood, but I still have some dead, standing ash and locust. I just have to find time to go get it. It has been burning nicely for me after about a week after splitting and sitting in the same room as the wood furnace.

I am definitely ready to stop loading the furnace and would love it if we could go some time without AC and heating.

Winters in Nebraska are totally unpredictable. Last week we were walking around in shirt sleeves and soaking up sun.

This week we are freezing our tails off. I remember that April, 2008 was cold. So, I cut extra wood for this year. Smartest thing I ever did. :givebeer:

Zodiac and WoodBooga clued me in last fall. Cut the green wood in the spring and summer for NEXT year (2010-11) and let them sit in the rounds. Split last year's logs in the spring and summer for this year (2009-10). In other words, plan a whole year in advance, assuming you want to burn seasoned wood in the stove.

Last edited:
Yep, this year was rough. I started out without one stick of wood. (Burned a lot camping:monkey:)

Good thing I can get dead trees that don't take much seasoning. I have been cutting like mad, both green and dead trees this year. I will have enough for the next 2 winters if I can get done what I want. It is hard sometimes because I only have 3 days off every 2 weeks and cutting isn't always the family priority, just mine.:chainsaw:

-7 here this am, was 60 on Sat. About 4-5 inches of the white stuff. Dang global warming. 4 above right now, 9 pm tues. supposed to get -5 to -10 tonite then start a really good warm up.

Yep, this year was rough. I started out without one stick of wood. (Burned a lot camping:monkey:)

Good thing I can get dead trees that don't take much seasoning. I have been cutting like mad, both green and dead trees this year. I will have enough for the next 2 winters if I can get done what I want. It is hard sometimes because I only have 3 days off every 2 weeks and cutting isn't always the family priority, just mine.:chainsaw:

Nothing like a good woodpile & haystack going into the fall.

Two winters worth is about right.
Never know what might come up or happen....
Then the pressure is off.

:greenchainsaw:

I Don't think spring is coming this year! -22f the other night and Edmonton 200miles North of me had a balmy -42F that is air temp not wind chill Granted it is record breaking temps hmmm Global Warming my A** Right Now it is -27c To cold to go out and look at the thermometer with Fahrenheit on it someone else can do the math lol.
Plus running out to the wood pile this morn I had the sh** scared out of me as I almost tripped over a rather large mule deer bedded down beside it!
He was down to one antler though:) so at least I now the season is kinda here they are late dropping there antlers too.

We have had some very unpredictable weather here too.Last four days have been in the mid 70's, now we have weather coming in from the north and the temp is dropping as we speak.Expecting freezing weather tonight, and supposed to be cold the rest of the week.
I wish mother nature would make up her mind!

Yeah, supposed to be in single digits for night time lows in my neck of the woods. At least I still have some wood in the shed, and my stacks outside are no longer covered with 2ft of snow.

I'm in pretty good shape here, like avalancher it's been in high seventies. Low around 30's tonight. I've been missing having a fire anyway, got maybe a cord left. I've got 3 nice dead oaks, some locust and a pecan to cut , all sick or dead. That's next year's wood. I need to get on it...Lanny

Ya need a boat to cut wood here right now. Got probably 4-5" rain or more in the last week. I'd be afraid to drop a tree for fear of it sinking to far in the mud.
We'll need a couple weeks of nice weather just to firm things up in order to get back to the woods.

April may be the cruelest month, but March is a fickle maiden. Just as the only certainty is constant change, March's only consistency is her variability.

We haven't had quite the swings that folks in other regions have had, but we are in the midst of a small cold snap now. Yesterday was in the mid-40s. But the warmfront that brought a bunch of rain has moved out to sea and a blast of cold air behind it. It was 16° at 5am and probably not going to get above freezing today - and downright blustery with 20-30mph gusts.

Gonna be in the mid 40s and sunny this weekend.:)

Still doing good on the wood. Brought in some mulberry, red oak, and red maple this morning. About 3 seasoned cords left in the barn and a pile four cords strong for next year - so the 2009-10 supply is 7 cords.

I guess that means I don't need to do any more woodboogerin for a while and can give the saws the year off.

Probably not. An empty truck is a hungry truck. It says 'feed me.' And I am a pliant sort of guy with a proclivity to do as I am told. :cheers:

I Don't think spring is coming this year! -22f the other night and Edmonton 200miles North of me had a balmy -42F that is air temp not wind chill Granted it is record breaking temps hmmm Global Warming my A** Right Now it is -27c To cold to go out and look at the thermometer with Fahrenheit on it someone else can do the math lol.
Plus running out to the wood pile this morn I had the sh** scared out of me as I almost tripped over a rather large mule deer bedded down beside it!
He was down to one antler though:) so at least I now the season is kinda here they are late dropping there antlers too.
Sometimes the antelopes know more about the weather than the humans do reading "computer models".

Well, it's supposed to start warming up again. Maybe that's in preparation for another cold April like we had in 2007 and 2008. I recall that in 2007, all of the apple and pear tree blossoms were practically wiped out by frost bite. I was told that was all part of the global warming trend.

Yeah , tired of feeding the stove, It's been 75 to 80 here for a week now, I thought finally probably not gonna burn again. WRONG. as you can see from the weather thingy in my sig i had to start another fire. The high today was 36. Now i know that's a warm spell for some of you guys, but still cold enough to have a fire.

Got wood?

thats why I like the UP of Mich -10 last nite again.Snow still up to my ass ,literally.no such thing as enough wood .Don't burn it this yr.Ya know its comim again.Plus usually at least 1 burn in june,july,and august

Has been down to -33C the last few mornings...good thing that I put up about 8 to 9 cords of mixed pine and birch last fall ..was actually enjoyable last year with the splitter I built(with lots of ideas from this forum).
Supposed to warm up tomorrow so I will be out Walleye fishing in my ice shanty.

Latest posts

Back