Yes, ANOTHER OWB build thread... (Tank in tank style)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water volume in owb? 2500sf home and 34x48 shop

• 100 gallons

• 200 gallons

• 300 gallons

• 400 gallons

• 500 gallons

Results are only viewable after voting.
breymeyer,

I'm enjoying your build thread.
I liked seeing your use of plenty of unions in the piping of your heat exchanger. That will certainly help out down the road if you need to remove anything.
How many circuits are you running in your system? 1. Shop heat 2. Floor heat for your basement 3. Domestic hot water 4. Main level heat

I heat with a geothermal system and like it but wish I had gone with a OWB as a back up.

Do you have plans to build a enclosure around the stove?

I look forward to your spread sheet too.

Did you log the hours you have spent in this build?

Thanks again for this thread !!!

Tom

breymeyer,

How many circuits are you running in your system?

Do you have plans to build a enclosure around the stove?

I look forward to your spread sheet too.

Did you log the hours you have spent in this build?

Tom

1. There are two pump circuits being utilized off the boiler. The shop is just a single air over water hx. The house circuit first goes through the hx in the furnace. Next the side arm on the water heater. And on the return line headed back to the boiler there are two tee's with the floor loop connected off the side. The hx in the furnace and the side arm has constant flow from the boiler, but the floor loop only has flow when the pump is trigger by the thermostat in the basement.

Yes, there is a enclosure in the works. Actually was building the end walls in the shop yesterday.

Unfortunately my spreadsheet isnt as detailed as it should have been. It doesn't detail each part, but more like each purchase. Mainly to differentiate the boiler build from the install cost.

Lastly I did not log the hours. I should have. I have lots into it...

So far the boiler has been going somewhere between 12 & 18 hours before needing more. However I haven't been loading full. One row half full over the coals(6-8 pieces of wood) has all I've been loading to keep the coal pile down. I'm very happy with the way everything is working so far. Hopefully will make some more progress on the enclosure this weekend.

So far the boiler has been going somewhere between 12 & 18 hours before needing more. However I haven't been loading full. One row half full over the coals(6-8 pieces of wood) has all I've been loading to keep the coal pile down. I'm very happy with the way everything is working so far. Hopefully will make some more progress on the enclosure this weekend.

Pic is of avg load ive been using every 12hrs. Keep in mind I put this load in a few hours ago and it has at least one cycle on it already...

That's awesome!!!!!!

Little update. Everything has been working great. However not knowing if the boiler was cycling when I looked out the window after dark was frustrating, so I fixed that issue. Added an LED indicator light to tell me when the blower was running. HANDY!
20161219_141627.jpg
The view out the kitchen window at night has a nice little green glow when cycling!

Pretty much finished up the enclosure today. Only a few things remain. I need trim for the side access door, a motion sensor for the light, extend the flue another 6-8ft, and make a flange off the flue to cover up the opening around it.
20170102_154329 (2).jpg
This has been quite the project, but I am very happy with the outcome. It's nice working in a 70° shop! And my finished basement is alot more livable with the floor heat.

This is how i have been heating for years. Now get better/ drier wood for next season if u don't have some already to keep the smoke down and neighbors happy..

That pic is right after calling for heat cycle. Smoke clears up. Also, smoke doesn't matter. I have no neighbors. My dad is the closest person to me and is a half mile away.

Well, I've been needing to get the flue pipe extended higher. Actually other than a little trim around the door, this is the last piece of this puzzle. Been a heck of a learning experiment. thanks to all who helped answer questions along the way!
20170121_120121.jpg

Flue pipe shouldn't rot away anytime soon. Schedule 40 6" is probably over kill... ;)

Will be updating all the pictures in this thread, since photobucket is completely retarded...
20171201_171637-jpg.615967

Latest posts

Back