Yes, another wood ID ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilerhouse47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've done a search and looked at the tree ID sticky and can't find anything that looks like the tree I've cut. The wood is quite heavey and hard. When being split it has some stringyness to it. Any help is accepted. Carl
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG]

No I don't believe it is like any ash I've cut before. It is as heavy or more so than red oak, and is very hard. All the ash I've cut has had more of a white shade to the wood. Thanks for the reply though. Carl
The bark on it is only about 3/8" thick also.

My guess would be pugnut hickory.. But the pic with the bark is actually to close up to tell.

I agree with Eric but not sure from the pic if the bark is smoother than what it looks.

Yes the bark is very smooth, the valleys and ridges are only 1/8" to 1/16" deep. I've never seen any type of nuts around the area that this tree came from and I've hunted and walked the dog through this place many times. A friend and I where pulling some 12' long cherry and maple logs with his four wheeler and when we hooked on to this tree we could not move it. We had to cut it to 6foot in length, because it was so heavy. all the trees where about 16' diameter.
If you look at the end view of the wood you can see that the thin layer of bark doesn't have much in the way of a roughness to it.
It burns and makes nice coals like an oak log does.

Last edited:
Hm, after looking at it a 2nd time, I change my vote to hickory. Especially if it's as heavy as you say. Hickory is HEA-VY!

Thanks for the info fellows. I know when I was cutting it to firewood length I was wishing I could get some of it milled into boards because of the darker heart wood. I'll have to get back into this area come spring and see if there are any nuts of any type around. I do know we have some shagbark hickory in our corner of the state.

Latest posts

Back