Yes yes yes, i'll be heating my shop with wood for now on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sounds like i'll be spending tomorrow moving one of our Vermont Casting wood stoves out to my wood shop. My wife and i moved in to her grandparents place (both gone and missed) which has 2 VC stoves in it. A while back her grandparents had a chimney fire and i was told that the flue for the smaller stove was closed up. As it turns out, the house only has one flue and it's already pulling double duty with the larger stove and the oil furnace. Anyway my mother-in-law gave me the go ahead to move the unused stove out to my shop. My grandfather-in-law was a duck/decoy carver and had had a kerosene stove in the shop which i removed and replaced with a wall hung propane heater. I'll basically be redoing what he had done so it shouldn't be all that much work since the roughing in has already been done.

The real bonus as i see it is that i have a ton of downed pine in the woods behind my place which i've been opting to not burn in the house that i can now burn the heck out of. Well that and i won't have to worry about another $500-$1000 propane bill to heat my shop ever again. Needless to say i'm a pretty happy camper.

way to go fox. better post up some pics of the process tho:rock:

happy cutting:chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

Did you really mean to say that the one flue is already being used for both the larger wood stove and the oil furnace? That's a pretty huge no-no. Out of code and the insurance company will head for the hills if something bad happens.

i'll do my best remember to take pics which is historically not that good...my blinders go on and stay on till the job is done and then i say "crap i should've taken pics."

You and me both. i bought a camera bout 5 years ago and ive maybe taken 30 pics with it. just not a fan of the taking pictures...especially with me in them:angry:

I am going to get a wood heater in my shop too. Been setting aside a mix of oak and gum. No more frozen toes and hands for me.:msp_smile:

I'll get something up...

My wife's grandmother died before i was in the picture but from what i've heard she was a pretty cool woman. took the kids point/arrowhead hunting when she wasn't in the garden. I was lucky enough to meet her grandfather i can say wholeheartedly that he was a cool guy. hell there was a cord and a half ready to go when we moved in thanks to him.

I am going to get a wood heater in my shop too. Been setting aside a mix of oak and gum. No more frozen toes and hands for me.:msp_smile:

i've been heating mine with a bottle top heater for the last few days. it's a smaller shop equivalent to a 3-3 1/2 car garage and i'm what most would call fat so the little guy has actually been working pretty well. not well enough to not move the stove out there though.

Did you really mean to say that the one flue is already being used for both the larger wood stove and the oil furnace? That's a pretty huge no-no. Out of code and the insurance company will head for the hills if something bad happens.

you've got it, a huge no no. there is plenty of draft and our CM detector has yet to register any readings. my only hope is that the furnace will die a horrible death and i can get a different one.

My insurance won't cover ANY type of wood stove in the house or garage but a wood furnace or fire place and their fine with it. Go figure?

Well I got it done today. First the bad stuff, my helper and i broke the brackets for the stoves warming shelf, and i'll need to redo the door seals. That's it until you guys tell me what i did wrong. This is my first time stetting up a stove so I'm not expecting it to be perfect...

Here is a pic pre installation. The hole for the thimble was cut by my grandfather-in-law for the kerosene stove he had out there. The wall is glass insulated 2"x4" construction with 1/2" exterior sheathing and 3/4" T+G inside. The floor is 2 layers of 1/2" ply on top of a concrete slab.

View attachment 270184

I started by setting the thimble. I used some 8" pipe with a flange on one end which i screwed tight to exterior sheathing. the pic shows the stove pipe all but centered.

View attachment 270189

After i removed a few thing from the wall I used 1/2" cement board as a heat shield spaced off the walls roughly 1 1/4". Then I cut and removed both layers of plywood and dry set the cinder block hearth.

View attachment 270187

View attachment 270188

Here is the stove set with the pipe run. I used a slip joint on the horizontal pipe to make doing the exterior pipe easier.

View attachment 270190

5 pic limit...

Last edited:
I had to do this on the cheap (if you hadn't caught on to it yet) so it's black pipe all the way for now at least. I used a "T" with a cap to make cleaning easier and galvanized flat stock for the supports.

View attachment 270191

View attachment 270192

Last but not least, my first fire. i haven't run it full bore yet. I cracked the floor of my other stove by burning without any ash or bricks on the floor so I'm taking it slowly. There is plenty of draft so I'm happy.

View attachment 270193

Lookin' good, FF. That VC will do a good job for you. We heat around 1600 sq. ft. plus a full basement with one. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks. My biggest worry is that it's too much stove. The shop is for the most part poorly insulated and has drafts galor and I'm planning to primarily burn pine all of which should help keep the temp down.

pine is a soft wood and actually burns relatively hot, just burns quick. if your worried about temps make sure your damper and air control work good so you can just about kill the fire if need be. come to think of it i didnt see a damper installed on your chimney, is there one on the stove itself?

Looking good. Should keep the shop nice and warm. :)

I had to do this on the cheap (if you hadn't caught on to it yet) so it's black pipe all the way for now at least. I used a "T" with a cap to make cleaning easier and galvanized flat stock for the supports.

View attachment 270191

View attachment 270192

Last but not least, my first fire. i haven't run it full bore yet. I cracked the floor of my other stove by burning without any ash or bricks on the floor so I'm taking it slowly. There is plenty of draft so I'm happy.

View attachment 270193

I'm gonna hope that temporary connector pipe flue is a short temporary. Stovepipe isn't made for or fire rated for use outdoors. It'll fill with creosote and rot out quickly.

I'd respectfully suggest a stoveboard or pad to lay under the stove and hearth area. Honestly, it isn't very safe to burn the way it is.

Just my thoughts. :)

Back