Yesterday, I Delivered the Best 3 Cords Ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great story. Being a cheap Dutchman I can see myself falling into the same trap Mr X did, except for being a jerk to you. I'm glad he got taken down a peg or two.

I see one possible downside tho! He was a 100% wrong but that won't stop him from being pissed about the whole thing. Consider dropping off a token gift to him to smooth things over. That way he won't always be looking for a cheaper source of GOOD wood to show up his wife. After all, he was a four year customer.

Just something to consider. :)

Why do the Dutch wear wooden shoes?
To keep the woodpeckers from pecking at their head.
Lol, Couldn't resist.;)

The truth is that the customer comes first and generally 99.9 are good when you offer good service and product. If you can make the worst ones happy, everyone else falls into line, but there is a limit.

I lost it once on a Yugoslavian bricklayer. He was a three year, three cord customer and every year he said I was shorting him.
I swear he was hiding the wood somewhere because I know volume and measurement when it comes to cordwood.
So to give him the benefit of his doubt I included an "extra measure."
On the fourth year he made the same accusation of being short.

Well I lost it and threw 3 cords of primo split beech back onto the F600 in about 1/2 an hr. while all the neighbours watched while him and his wife begged me not to take it away. I just ignored them and drove off with the wood. What a great feeling that was! Lol
John

Lol, Couldn't resist.;)

The truth is that the customer comes first and generally 99.9 are good when you offer good service and product. If you can make the worst ones happy, everyone else falls into line, but there is a limit.

I lost it once on a Yugoslavian bricklayer. He was a three year, three cord customer and every year he said I was shorting him.
I swear he was hiding the wood somewhere because I know volume and measurement when it comes to cordwood.

Well I lost it and threw 3 cords of primo split beech back onto the F600 in about 1/2 an hr. while all the neighbours watched while him and his wife begged me not to take it away. I just ignored them and drove off with the wood. What a great feeling that was! Lol
John

Gotta know....

Did he call you the next year?

Lol, Couldn't resist.;)

John

I would have loved to see that! :)

Kevin

Gotta know....

Did he call you the next year?

Not that I recall, I think he thought I must have been better with a maul than he was with a sledge.
People that complain just for the sake of complaining do so because they think they'll get a better deal. I probably didn't know that then and maybe should have humored him instead. He obviously liked my wood or he wouldn't have kept calling.
Looking back I think it was my pride that got hurt, but I still believe you attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.
I guess I didn't understand his left handed compliment. No matter, there was no love lost, just a lesson learned.
John

It wasn't a pretty sight, however, exhilarating although probably unprofessional. lol
John

Probably right on the unprofessional...but I would have probably done the same thing...although 3 cords is a lot of wood to reload...:)

Kevin

Reminds of the old sayin about the bitterness of poor quality lasting far longer than the sweetness of low price! Great story, thanks for sharing. Hope Mr. X has a comfy recliner!

I came across this while doing some searches today.

It is a classic story thats for sure.

John do you still deliver to " Mr and Mrs X" ?

I came across this while doing some searches today.

It is a classic story thats for sure.

John do you still deliver to " Mr and Mrs X" ?

Yes and no

I delivered 3 cord around Halloween last year. When I asked about the next year or this year whichever you prefer, Mr X informed me he was pretty sure they were moving as he was waiting for an offer letter from another company in either North or South Carolina. He was a semi-Big Wig with one of the defense contractors in CT. In any event this spring the house was on the market when I drove by and it's since sold so he took the smart route apparently and left CT before he was the one that had to check all the locks and shut out the lights.

Take Care

Back