Yesterday, I Delivered the Best 3 Cords Ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya need to keep this story handy for when some of the gang in the firewood Biz start grumbling about all the hacks under cutting them.

In this case, some hack made a one time sale when prices and demand are low. You sold 6 cords because of the Hack. LOL!!

The guys with the honest deals and good product always win in the end, if they can hang in there.

Mr.X is just a cheap bastard like anyone else these days.
It takes time, and getting burned by cheap crap a time or two for folks to wake up. Just like the growing backlash against all the chineese junk on the market these days.

Congrats on the sweet Revenge sale! LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Seems like Mr. X learned a good lesson. I had a guy do that to me several years ago. Now he is my best customer and wants his wood to be split 2 years in advance. Never thought of a down payment. Good Idea..

It pays to stick to your guns.. Rep Sent

That was hilarious!! Women don't forget. They're like elephants. 10 years from now when this has all blown over, he still will have his nose rubbed in it from time to time, whenever he tries to be a cheapskate.

Its interesting that you had this problem with a repeat customer. I seem to get this all the time with new customers. Like you, I generally don't budge much on the price.

I get the impression that people are fishing for a deal, just seeing what you will do for the sale. I would estimate that 50%-75% still end up buying from me. They just wanted to see if I would budge. I have never had a problem with a repeat customer, but I'm sure it will happen.

The only reason why I placed a few ads this year is because I nearly doubled my production for this season. Repeat buyers and word of mouth advertising are great once you get started. Don't cheat them, and they generally take care of you.

The guy must have went on CL and found one ad for $140 and determined that the going rate....good job holding your ground and keeping your customer!

That was hilarious!! Women don't forget. They're like elephants. 10 years from now when this has all blown over, he still will have his nose rubbed in it from time to time, whenever he tries to be a cheapskate.

So very true.

Kevin

Yep! In about 28 years:

Wife: Now George, don't buy the cheap paint brush, you remember that time when you mouthed that nice firewood guy and we got stuck with a pile of crap wood what didn't burn and I had to call him and apologize.
Hubby: Yes dear.
SIL visiting: Oh yes I remember it. You had to pay the neighbor to take that crap wood away and chuck it at the landfill.
Wife: True.
Hubby: Errrmmmmfffgghh.
(Snorting & giggling)

SA

AKA, I know somebody that slept on the couch for a few nights

Long story but I'll try to keep it short

This whole episode started around Labor Day when I called Mr. X, a 4th year repeat customer about delivering this Fall's 3 cords. (I put up and cover all my seasoned wood orders a year in advance) He asked How much is it? I told him $200 per cord, same as last year. Now he gets excited and starts screaming that the going rate for seasoned is $140 and that's all he'll pay, otherwise I can take my wood and shove it. I told him I was firm on the price, leading to another outburst. At that point I politely thanked him for his past business and left it at that.

Take Care

This is a great story. Being a cheap Dutchman I can see myself falling into the same trap Mr X did, except for being a jerk to you. I'm glad he got taken down a peg or two.

I see one possible downside tho! He was a 100% wrong but that won't stop him from being pissed about the whole thing. Consider dropping off a token gift to him to smooth things over. That way he won't always be looking for a cheaper source of GOOD wood to show up his wife. After all, he was a four year customer.

Just something to consider. :)

This is a great story. Being a cheap Dutchman I can see myself falling into the same trap Mr X did, except for being a jerk to you. I'm glad he got taken down a peg or two.

I see one possible downside tho! He was a 100% wrong but that won't stop him from being pissed about the whole thing. Consider dropping off a token gift to him to smooth things over. That way he won't always be looking for a cheaper source of GOOD wood to show up his wife. After all, he was a four year customer.

:agree2:

Saaaay, that's not bad for a dumb Dutchman! :cheers:

;)

Ha! Just gave you your first nova! :clap:

I hear you on bygones being bygones

(By the way I'm one of the last of a dying breed, a true Swamp Yankee, with an awful lot of dumb Swede heritage)

Since I have $150 of his for a deposit on next year that should be sufficient. Having shown his colors I will probably continue to ask for up front money from him for future years. The way I look at it, he was willing to screw me if he could, as my time and money had been sitting for a year in the stack designated for him at an agreed upon price. Fortunately I recouped it.

Put the shoe on the other foot. Suppose the market wasn't being whored up by a bunch of hacks, and the going rate was $240 a cord. I still would have honored the $200 price that I quoted him the previous year when he ordered, and discussed an adjustment for the following year(s) if warranted. That's how I treat my regulars, and they typically respect that. Quality seasoned wood is never that hard to move

I'm a very firm believer in the old saying; Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

This is the USA, he has the right to do business with whom he chooses, and come to think of it, so do I.

Take Care

I think you're an ass for being greedy and then whining about how you were gonna get stuck w/3 cords of seasoned wood when you know good and well you'd have no problem unloading that to someone else.

You don't know what this repeat customer has just been through or might be going through to cause him to act so erratically.

Geeze Louise, the guy could be on the verge of dementia or have encountered some type of financial catastrophe and was trying to shore up the home front.

Doesn't make his attitude or actions correct, but it ain't as if you delivered three cords and the guy then decides to work out a payment plan tout de suite, on the fly.

Your sittin' there patting yourself on the back for being polite and then you stick it to 'em as if you had some justification, other than greed & lack of discipline and/or ethics.

Possibly you weren't raised correctly, in a proper environment, and are ignorant in levels of higher thinking, that ascend beyond primitive motor skills, requiring cognitive thought and application beyond your abilities.

Howevah, 200 clams for an honest, measured cord of seasoned hardwood delivered on a three cord deal is definately a fair price.

Around here folks like to sell ricks, that aren't acknowledged by the Weights & Measurement Division of the grat state of Rkinsaw, and as a rule are only 18" long, so you're only receiving 3/4 of a half a cord.

On the other hand I've found folks that like 16" wood coz the young 'uns & the little woman can load them easier.

I nevah said you cheated the family, just that you acted as an ass & I stand by that conclusion from the facts as supplied by you.

It's bad enough that the family was took over some bad wood deal. You didn't have to rub salt in the wound.

Way to kick them while they're down pal...

BTW, I like your little analogy of what if the price of wood went down, yada, yada, yada..

When's the last time you noticed seasoned hardwood pries taking a tumble?

Get over yourself...

I think you're an ass for being greedy and then whining about how you were gonna get stuck w/3 cords of seasoned wood when you know good and well you'd have no problem unloading that to someone else.

You don't know what this repeat customer has just been through or might be going through to cause him to act so erratically.

Geeze Louise, the guy could be on the verge of dementia or have encountered some type of financial catastrophe and was trying to shore up the home front.

Doesn't make his attitude or actions correct, but it ain't as if you delivered three cords and the guy then decides to work out a payment plan tout de suite, on the fly.

Your sittin' there patting yourself on the back for being polite and then you stick it to 'em as if you had some justification, other than greed & lack of discipline and/or ethics.

Possibly you weren't raised correctly, in a proper environment, and are ignorant in levels of higher thinking, that ascend beyond primitive motor skills, requiring cognitive thought and application beyond your abilities.

Howevah, 200 clams for an honest, measured cord of seasoned hardwood delivered on a three cord deal is definately a fair price.

Around here folks like to sell ricks, that aren't acknowledged by the Weights & Measurement Division of the grat state of Rkinsaw, and as a rule are only 18" long, so you're only receiving 3/4 of a half a cord.

On the other hand I've found folks that like 16" wood coz the young 'uns & the little woman can load them easier.

I nevah said you cheated the family, just that you acted as an ass & I stand by that conclusion from the facts as supplied by you.

It's bad enough that the family was took over some bad wood deal. You didn't have to rub salt in the wound.

Way to kick them while they're down pal...

BTW, I like your little analogy of what if the price of wood went down, yada, yada, yada..

When's the last time you noticed seasoned hardwood pries taking a tumble?

Get over yourself...

your post is about as ignorant as they come, was there any reason to insult the man 5 different ways like you have done?

"whens the last time seasoned hardwood prices took a tumble?"- where have you been... ?

everyone should take your advice, and realize maybe YOU are the one having a bad day or some sort of problems in your personal life which made you lash out at the OP int he way you just did, and not hold it against you.. perhaps you should use your "higher levels of thinking" and figure out what makes you jump on people like the way you just did?

"Possibly you weren't raised correctly, in a proper environment, and are ignorant in levels of higher thinking, that ascend beyond primitive motor skills, requiring cognitive thought and application beyond your abilities"
-- i bet you re-read that after posting, while patting yourself on your back in recognition of how far your vocabulary has come, thinking to yourself how intelligent you look and how no one can possibly comprehend the big words you are spouting off in an attempt to cover your own outburst of ignorance... in reality, you are just trrying to belittle someone with the use of large words, you sir are bombastic. through and through , unless of course you are just having a bad day?

ps: are you Mr.X ? :D

Last edited:
" are you Mr.X ?"

No, but I watched Mr. Wrestlin' #II take on Mike George once upon a time from ringside.

I'm sure Swamp Yankee is a good Joe.

I just happen to vehemently disagree on his take, on this one particular incident.

Nobody bats a thousand...

Back