Yesterday was a good day to be me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
Reaction score
Sitting around with nothing but my own yard work planned for the day. Got a call from one of the tree services that keeps me in wood. Turns out the new ground guy put bar oil where the mix was supposed to go. Cutting 18-24" locust with an ms200 can be done but it's not the fastest process. The company owner and I has become pretty good friends. Since the job was close to my house he called and asked if I was interested in a "part time job". Basically bring down a saw, cut the wood to whatever length I wanted, and his guys would load it all on my truck. He was also willing to pay me $50 to come down ASAP.

Skip ahead 1.5 hrs...I'm loaded with all the black locust rounds. He hands me a Benjamin and says I saved his greenhorn's butt. If he had to run back to the shop and get another saw, that time woulda come out of the greenhorn's pay. Since he charges close to $250/hr for the crew, the greenhorn was thrilled I came down.

On the ride home I'm thinking "man, this day just can't get any better". Boy was I wrong! Since I had some cash and the gas-o-meter was telling me "we need to stop, now!", If figured I pull in and fill er up. As I'm dumping my new found cash into the diesel tank, a guy strolls over and asks what I'm doing with the wood. Wants to know if I'm headed to dump it somewhere. I said I was going to turn it into firewood. He says, "I live 2 miles up the road. How much to dump it there?" Make me an offer. "It's locust, How much is in there?" Bout a cord. " How bout $75" Cash and it's a done deal. "Follow me, and here's my number if you get any more"

No better feeling in the world than getting paid twice in the same day for wood I didn't have to load!

For all you doubters out there thinking this is to good to be true. I woke up this morning with a wicked case of poison ivy. That was the only thing I wasn't prepared for.

75 bucks for a cord of locust delivered. Gave him a damn good deal, I bet that guy thinks he had a great day as well.

yeah, I figured he was getting a good deal as well. His place was on my way home so it wasn't like I even had to go out of my way at all. I'm just really glad I never had to lift it onto the splitter!

I dunno if I could have sold locust for that! Although you're right in that it was low effort for you and cash in pocket. And you got to run your saw!

I've had guys do that before at the fuel station. Ask where the wood was going and ask I'd drop it off.

I did it one time for some old folks who obviously would have had to purchase the wood otherwise. But normally I just keep on going because I figure I'd still have to head out and cut the wood somewheres else if I don't get it.

Lots of luck with the poison ivy though. That sucks big time

I'd gladly pay $125 not to have poison ivy. Other than that it sounds like a good deal.

Get poison ivy? That's an expensive $125 in my book, but I get it really bad.

Ya, that part sucks. I can get it bad but am careful when cutting and always use gloves and strip the vines off first.

Long time ago it got around I was a good climber and some tree guys offered me work in Atlanta but I turned it down because you don't have the time luxury of dealing with the vines on expensive yard jobs. For casual firewood I try to kill the vines first, by chopping out a section at the base of the tree, let them dry, then come back and yank them down off the tree beore I touch the tree with a saw.

"RoundUp". If you have the time. Ivy is still nasty stuff, even when it's dead.

sitting around with nothing but my own yard work planned for the day. Got a call from one of the tree services that keeps me in wood. Turns out the new ground guy put bar oil where the mix was supposed to go. Cutting 18-24" locust with an ms200 can be done but it's not the fastest process. The company owner and i has become pretty good friends. Since the job was close to my house he called and asked if i was interested in a "part time job". Basically bring down a saw, cut the wood to whatever length i wanted, and his guys would load it all on my truck. He was also willing to pay me $50 to come down asap.

Skip ahead 1.5 hrs...i'm loaded with all the black locust rounds. He hands me a benjamin and says i saved his greenhorn's butt. If he had to run back to the shop and get another saw, that time woulda come out of the greenhorn's pay. Since he charges close to $250/hr for the crew, the greenhorn was thrilled i came down.

On the ride home i'm thinking "man, this day just can't get any better". Boy was i wrong! Since i had some cash and the gas-o-meter was telling me "we need to stop, now!", if figured i pull in and fill er up. As i'm dumping my new found cash into the diesel tank, a guy strolls over and asks what i'm doing with the wood. Wants to know if i'm headed to dump it somewhere. I said i was going to turn it into firewood. He says, "i live 2 miles up the road. How much to dump it there?" make me an offer. "it's locust, how much is in there?" bout a cord. " how bout $75" cash and it's a done deal. "follow me, and here's my number if you get any more"

no better feeling in the world than getting paid twice in the same day for wood i didn't have to load!

For all you doubters out there thinking this is to good to be true. I woke up this morning with a wicked case of poison ivy. That was the only thing i wasn't prepared for.

no good deed go's unpunished.

The ivy isn't as bad as originally expected...couple small patches on the forearms and one above my right knee. Yeah, I know it was dumb to wear shorts but it was balls hot out. Wasn't even thinking about the poison vives until I was almost done. The guys had pulled most of them off before I got there. I saw the little "hairs" on the trunk about 5 cuts into it....figured I had already been exposed so no sense worrying about it at that point.

If I don't sell a single stick of firewood, I'm good for the next 3 years with my current piles. That was the main reason I let the locust go. My current pile of "to be split" was getting to the point where I would have had to unload, process and stack this right away or loose access to the back yard. The way the property slopes between the front and back and where the house sits, I have a very small portion to make a "landing" to where I can dump safely and not have the rounds run into the neighbors house.

The neighbor whose yard we were using for access has 3 more and was very interested in having them disappear. If anyone wants any, PM me and I'll let you know when they come down.

$75 for a full cord of Locust..... Delievered to house ??? :eek2: Man oh man, I'd like to foller you around.

I'm assuming you were driving a dump ? in order to get an entire cord in...... or did you have a trailer also ?

Latest posts

Back