Yesterday's Encounter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
Reaction score
So last week I get a phone call from a former customer. The woman was wondering if I would be interested in purchasing some firewood her recently late husband had cut up and split. So I explained to her that I would be, but I would not be able to offer as much as an end user. She says ok, and said I can come take a look at it at anytime.

Well, yesterday I get there. As we are ready to walk around the side of the house, she starts to tell me that her father-in-law and brother-in-law told her she has over two cords there and she should be getting $400 to $500 for it. :msp_sad: I said, "Well, let me look at it, and I can tell you what I can give you for it."

Measure the stacks. 1.4 cords. So now, I am going to have to load by hand, haul to my place, unload. Find buyer, reload and deliver. (unless I can find a buyer before I unload)

Now, this lady is in a bad situation. Husband passed away about 3 months ago, house is being foreclosed on, has a kid and a dog with cancer. House was a very nice house, but in bad shape now. So I figure, I am going to try to help her out.

About 90% of the wood is oak. But it is cut to 14" length, which I only cut and sell 16". I figure I'll give her $100.00 per cord and try to find a resell quickly. I explained to her, "Right now I can get a cord of oak delivered to my house for $200..." Before, I can even continue, she says, "It is worth $500, it is all oak, not like the mix hardwoods you sold us. And it is seasoned (which is wasn't, looked like it needed about another 6 months) unlike the stuff you sold us, our house was filled with smoke." Then she stormed back into the house before I could even say anything else.

And FYI, I never sold any wood as seasoned that was even close to being green. All of the seasoned wood I sell sits for at least a year, and I make sure it is well seasoned before sending out (I also burn from the same stock I sell from). And, this was the same person calling and begging for firewood at the end of winter last year because she couldn't get any. (and I was pretty much sold out for last year, she didn't buy from me last year, and what I do have left, I keep for customers who may run a little shy for the same year they bought wood from me)

If her current situation wasn't so horrible, I would have liked to have added a smart ass remark in at the end. I guess she just needed a person to vent on. And if you see 2+ cords of oak for sale on craigslist in SE PA for $500, good luck with it. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up :laugh: It's surprising what some people think firewood is worth around here.

Sounds like she just has some frustration built up and being told she wasn't going to be getting as much money for that pile didn't help. Seems like you handled it quite well considering the situation she was in.

I buy alot of steel on the side. Buyout farms and the like. All I deal with are hardluck stories. I hate to say it but I sympathise with their situation but after loosing money and time more than once I just dont do it anymore. Here is what I can do if that is not satisfactory maybee you should call some thief who will visit you while you are not home.

My favorite calls are the ones where they have a 1990 chevy cavilere that their brother told them was worth 500.00 and they wont take a penny less. Even with steel prices as good as they are I am not willing to pay more than I will make for anything.

I am well known in my area and advertise. I have people call us up all the time acusing us of paying 100.00 for their 400.00 car. Sorry not us.

I'd advise the lady (or her kid or a someone she knows) to put it on CL. She'll get more eyes seeing it and eventually learn that she has to settle for what her local market values for her stack of wood. What's more fair than than getting market value? That way, it's out of my hands.

I'd advise the lady (or her kid or a someone she knows) to put it on CL. She'll get more eyes seeing it and eventually learn that she has to settle for what her local market values for her stack of wood. What's more fair than than getting market value? That way, it's out of my hands.

Excellent thought

For some reason :confused: I don't think she would get the point. Rather than getting no calls about her $350+ per cord picked-up oak and thinking 'maybe the price is too high', she will most likely think 'I guess people in this area can't afford good quality wood.' But hey, at least she has an excuse. I have sold to people in the past that make this nothing. Hence why I got out of the homeowner selling, for the most part.

The key word here is "she"...

I had an encounter with a similar "she". This was at a yard sale I went to. She had something marked 4 times the price it was selling at other yard sales for. I offered 25% of the price she had. She then got indignant and said "What is the price marked on it? THAT is MY price PERIOD!" (I guess other people had also pointed out her high prices and she was tired of this "negotiation" nonsense.)

Other "shes" are more in tune with what things are going for elsewhere. And they know that "something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it". Or the golden rule: "He who has the gold rules!"

Anyway I would have told the firewood lady that if she can get $500, then do so! (If she stayed to listen...)

Maybe she can get the father-in-law or brother-in-law to buy it, since they know what it's worth.

Bingo! Like the folks that bring their "treasures" to those Pawn Star guys looking to make a killing. If you have something of value and want to maximize your return, why sell it to a middleman? The market will tell her what it is worth (provided it doesn't rot first).

I get calls all the time from people looking for estimates on removals. They say they've checked with other services and can't figure out why the cost is so high considering we are getting so much firewood for free. I try to explain to people that it aint firewood until shortly before it goes in the stove...until then its a bunch of really short stick that all gotta be cut and loaded and transported and processed and moved and stacked and delivered and unloaded and then re-stacked (if they are willing to pay for it). I might get my "raw materials" for little to no charge. My time and sweat does not come cheap!

Latest posts

Back