Yet Another Boot Thread. Results of Steel Toe VS Non Steel Toe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the heck happened?
Again.
######################################/showthread.php?18130-West-Coast-Logging-Camps-Shops-Barges-etc.

OK I give up. I am trying to cut and paste a link to heavyequipmentsforums.com, forestry operations, west coast logging camps page one.

That happens when the automatic censor kicks in, I think. There's a good timber falling site by the BC Canucks but it has D I C K in it somewhere so the censor thingie won't print it.

What the heck happened?
Again.
######################################/showthread.php?18130-West-Coast-Logging-Camps-Shops-Barges-etc.

OK I give up. I am trying to cut and paste a link to heavyequipmentsforums.com, forestry operations, west coast logging camps page one.

2dogs,

How about pasting the link one more time with the word 'Richard' in place of the offending word, and we will know to replace it with the familiar version of that name?

Philbert

Ah gentle reader:

I disagree. I looked it up in my Webster Dictionary. I do not have a Funk and Wagnall.

Calk is defined as a sharp point. There's a reference to horseshoes.
Caulk is "to make watertight."

So for me, it shall be spelled Calks.

I have noticed that the more I read on the internet, the worse my spelling becomes. ;)

Maybe of interest ( no sawdines though ) ;)-

- Lumberjack Lingo

The thread was from heavyequipmentforums.com

OK - I was searching A.S. in the Large Equipment Forum. Your link was blocked because it referenced another site. I assume that this is what you were referring to (?):

Philbert

attachment.php

If signs trump the dictionary then:

Roda is road. As seen in a warning sign, LINES ACROSS RODA.The sign maker said it was late and he was very tired so mixed up the stencils.

Then there is LOGGIN AHEAD. This one was done in the way that the sign maker pronounced the word Logging.

And the Huff and Puff drive in now sports the word EAl in bright orange as the top of the T broke off. :laugh::msp_smile:

Along I-5, where 72nd crosses the freeway in Tacoma, there's a strip mall called "Tacoma Place". For several months awhile back, the "TA" in the neon sign were out on the side facing southbound lanes. It always cracked me up to drive past "Coma Place".

A landmark in Saint Paul is the old Schmidt's Brewery, with a large, lighted sign that can be seen for many blocks. Apparently, an old Halloween prank was for high school kids to climb up there and disconnect every other letter.

Philbert (P_i_b_r_)

Wintertime cold boots have a lot of extra padding. The steel toe Sorrels I do have are named the refrigerators, and unless I'm walking more than I want to, they stay at home.
Otherwise, steel toe.

Looked it up in my American College Dictionary. They have it as Caulks but it sounds like many use calks and caulks interchangably.
To be honest I've never seen anything but caulks on shoe boxes.
Remember when caulks used to come in the tall cardboard shoe boxes.
Also learned a few things about the origin of the word. Sounds like it came over from horse shoeing.
I think the pronunciation is more likely attributable to a caulk spelling. The L starts to become silent it and it sounds a lot like corks.
Oh well, you'll have to stop at Kuliens and ask which they prefer.:msp_confused:

I have never worn steel toed boots, too uncomfortable on a wide foot.

My BIL was in a serious industrial accident, a heavy auger fell over 20 feet and landed across both feet, it crushed the steel toes in the boot cutting off two toes on one foot and one toe on the other. It was a major hassle for the surgeons to get them removed from his feet, they basically had to grind them off. He was disfigured and cripple for life. You could not get him near a pair of steel toed footwear.

My BIL was in a serious industrial accident, . . . crushed the steel toes in the boot cutting off two toes on one foot and one toe on the other.

Sorry about your BIL's mishap.

This has been discussed at length, and even explored by the 'Mythbusters' TV show. Although, they are hardly the epitome of science, the general consensus is that any force substantial enough to crush an ANSI compliant steel toe and cut off someone's toes, would have reduced those toes, along with parts of the instep, to jelly without the steel toes.

Nothing can stop everything - doesn't mean that one should forsake basic protection measures even if they would be of limited use in a catastrophe.

Philbert

Testing has proven that a compliant steel toe is much safer than the alternative. The misconception that extreme weights will cause the steel toe to crush and amputate the wearers toes is categorically false. The weight required to crush a steel toe would also easily crush an unprotected foot, effectively amputating the toes. In most cases, the engineering of the steel toe causes the impact force to be redirected.

It was a very large diameter stainless steel auger used to carry dehydrated food product for packaging in the Army's MRE's.
Emergency rooms should carry the equipment on hand to deal with such emergencies. The boots were made by redwing, it still crushed everything in his feet, really anything this severe would have resulted in the same results steels toes or no steel toes. I've decided I just don't need the aggravation of laying there two or three hours while getting them off, just smash or cut them off onsite, it'll be less painful in the long run. I ruined one or two pairs of good heavy leather boots with saws, luckily none have gone through to the meat.

Back