Yo "ForTheAction"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yo bro,

Just a constructive heads-up...

A year ago I started posting question after question on this forum about beginner arborist stuff. A lot of the guys helped me out BIG time, and I even met up with a forum member who gave me several hands-on training sessions which have proved to be invaluable. Some called me a troll because of the excessive question posts, but in the end everyone wanted to help and nobody fed me any crap that was intended to get me killed.

If you come on here and post ludicrious stuff like drivingrailroad spiked into a tree as ladder rungs however, forget about it. Not only is it spam, it's stuff that other greengorns MAY read and think is a good idea and end up getting themselves hurt or killed and at that point, you won't be welcome here anymore and that's putting it real mildly. I've had problems with a few forum members but at no point was anybody ready to piss on my grave if I got hurt. Take it easy man. Get yourself a copy of the "Working Climber" DVD which I'm working through a little bit each night. I also practice my knots each night on the couch or on rainy days. Don't act like you know everything or like everybody on here is an idiot, I guarantee they are not. Nobody wants to see you get hurt, that's just not the way these guys are. A rough crowd, yes. An evil crowd? May seem like it sometimes but 100% wrong.

I've posted over 600 messages on this forum which has gotten me off the ground, literally, and maybe 10% of where I need to be before I'm even anywhere *near* productive.

One thing I learned right away is that as soon as you get NEAR a tree with a chainsaw, there's about 1000 things that want to do nothing but kill you right off the bat. Be cool to these guys and even though some won't be exactly cool back, they will help you stay alive.

Again, I am a greenhorn like you but have been around just long enough to know how it works here and maybe just enough to stay alive on most days.

Peace out and happy posting man.

Yo bro,

A year ago I started posting question after question on this forum about beginner arborist stuff. A lot of the guys helped me out BIG time, and I even met up with a forum member who gave me several hands-on training sessions which have proved to be invaluable. Some called me a troll because of the excessive question posts, but in the end everyone wanted to help and nobody fed me any crap that was intended to get me killed.

If you come on here and post ludicrious stuff like drivingrailroad spiked into a tree as ladder rungs however, forget about it. Not only is it spam, it's stuff that other greengorns MAY read and think is a good idea and end up getting themselves hurt or killed and at that point, you won't be welcome here anymore and that's putting it real mildly. I've had problems with a few forum members but at no point was anybody ready to piss on my grave if I got hurt. Take it easy man. Get yourself a copy of the "Working Climber" DVD which I'm working through a little bit each night. I also practice my knots each night on the couch or on rainy days. Don't act like you know everything or like everybody on here is an idiot, I guarantee they are not. Nobody wants to see you get hurt, that's just not the way these guys are. A rough crowd, yes. An evil crowd? May seem like it sometimes but 100% wrong.

I've posted over 600 messages on this forum which has gotten me off the ground, literally, and maybe 10% of where I need to be before I'm even anywhere *near* productive.

One thing I learned right away is that as soon as you get NEAR a tree with a chainsaw, there's about 1000 things that want to do nothing but kill you right off the bat. Be cool to these guys and even though some won't be exactly cool back, they will help you stay alive.

Again, I am a greenhorn like you but have been around just long enough to know how it works here and maybe just enough to stay alive on most days.

Well said Plas! Your right on about what you've said, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and are full of great advice for the most part. You have indeed asked a lot of good questions and have gotten a lot of good answers from those with a lot of experience. I've only been climbing for 4 years now and I have learned so much from people on here and I think has made me become a good climber and I am much more confident with each job I do! Never hurts to ask! If someones going to give you help or advice take it FTA! Don't argue back like a tard.:cheers:

Yo bro,

I'm starting to like you Plas, but I do think FTA's a lost cause. Good luck with that.

yo bro,

just a constructive heads-up...

A year ago i started posting question after question on this forum about beginner arborist stuff. A lot of the guys helped me out big time, and i even met up with a forum member who gave me several hands-on training sessions which have proved to be invaluable. Some called me a troll because of the excessive question posts, but in the end everyone wanted to help and nobody fed me any crap that was intended to get me killed.

If you come on here and post ludicrious stuff like drivingrailroad spiked into a tree as ladder rungs however, forget about it. Not only is it spam, it's stuff that other greengorns may read and think is a good idea and end up getting themselves hurt or killed and at that point, you won't be welcome here anymore and that's putting it real mildly. I've had problems with a few forum members but at no point was anybody ready to piss on my grave if i got hurt. Take it easy man. Get yourself a copy of the "working climber" dvd which i'm working through a little bit each night. I also practice my knots each night on the couch or on rainy days. Don't act like you know everything or like everybody on here is an idiot, i guarantee they are not. Nobody wants to see you get hurt, that's just not the way these guys are. A rough crowd, yes. An evil crowd? May seem like it sometimes but 100% wrong.

I've posted over 600 messages on this forum which has gotten me off the ground, literally, and maybe 10% of where i need to be before i'm even anywhere *near* productive.

One thing i learned right away is that as soon as you get near a tree with a chainsaw, there's about 1000 things that want to do nothing but kill you right off the bat. Be cool to these guys and even though some won't be exactly cool back, they will help you stay alive.

Again, i am a greenhorn like you but have been around just long enough to know how it works here and maybe just enough to stay alive on most days.

x1000

Yo bro,

Good post. I'll buy it.

I wasn't planning on finishing that thread for another week. 1,600 views of by people other than myself was a party that I didn't expect for my first shot up the ropes. Sort of roaster though.

Practiced rappeling over some short ledges with a buddy to get used to the speed of the figure 8. I figured out why I wasn't comfortable with it before. It was moving too fast from me, but I put a twist in the loop before I wrapped it around the bottom of the 8. This caused the rope to wrap over itself, and that created the perfect friction for descending.

I did another two story climb - srt with two hand ascenders (one with a stir-up) and one shunt. Tried the trango fig 8 from up, and descended perfectly. I noticed that it was possible for me to stop with one hand.

What I had been told about fig 8s was that it took two hands to operate. I think that is if you don't put a twist in the loop though. It seems really fast without the twist.

I don't like they shunt at all. It really sucks as a descender which I had hear/read that they could be used as one. They don't slide up as easy as I need, and I'd rather use a friction knot atop my top ascender than that peece.

Anyway, I've got to collect on my jobs, so I can go ahead and order a big shot.

I'd keep up with the accusations here, but it's hard to believe who ever they are actually believe themselves. Safety and techniques, yay. Personal opinions about people's intentions here, nay.

Good luck with your trees too.

Back