Yoshino Cherry Suddenly Looks Bad. HELP!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaghzy

Reaction score
Looked in my back yard and noticed brown and yellow among all the green and realized leaves and branches of our cherry were quite suddenly in bad shape. I have only been out of town for 4 days and saw nothing before I left. Posting pics. Any expert help GREATLY APPRECIATED!IMG_3590.jpg IMG_3591.jpg IMG_3593.jpg IMG_3594.jpg

I believe that is a grafted cherry. If you look at the branches around the graft, if you see 1/8" diameter holes, it probable that you have tortrix (bug). The female chews into the bark to the cambium, lays her eggs, and the larvae chew around the cambium, girdling the branch.

If you don't have that, there are several other insects, fungi (I saw some shothole), rusts and bacteria that attack those trees. Or it could be that the tree decided to kill off that branch because it wasn't producing enough photosynthate.

From the pics, the crown doesn't look that bad as a whole. Don't let it get drought stressed in the summer. A thin layer of mulch wouldn't hurt either.

Back