Yoshino Cherry Tree Slowly Dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather B

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2 year old Yoshino Cherry that I just adore! Everything was fine last summer, but my tree has started to die over the past several weeks. First, on two smaller branches the leaves turned brown and the limb died. Now, a couple of weeks later, about 5 of the branches have started to do the same thing. The leaves on them are turning brown and crunchy. I took a branch to my local nursery and he ruled out blight, reasoning that the leaves would be soft and not crunchy. He thought it could be bores and so I treated it yesterday with a spray. But now I have been told it could be lack of water. Since the tree is young, perhaps it didn't get enough water and is dying of drought.

Unfortunately over half of the branches on the tree are dying. About 40% is still green and looking lively. I applied a root stimulator yesterday and am going to start watering everyday. It seems strange that it might be drought though, since we have had rain at least 3 days for the last 3 weeks. Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated --- I LOVE this tree and I don't want to lose it.

Heather B said:
going to start watering everyday.
Heather hold off until you get a good diagnosis--too much water may be the problem; yoshinos in our area are succumbing to basal decay. You should call an arborist in the Raleigh phone book--there are four listed but only one who is a Master Arborist. I hear he is really Better! :angel: :cool: :blob2:

Latest posts

Back