You do your research on a splitter and still......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maul Man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Me and my brothers decided to get together and buy my dad a splitter for Father's Day. In his late 70's and his maul swinging shoulder acting up. it seemed like the time to do so. Sifting through all the data on Arboristsite, it looked like the 22 ton Iron and Oak with the Honda GX motor was the way to go. It worked fine for a few days andthen the engine mounting screws came off and the hydraulic pump started leaking fluid. No problem with the the motor being re-secured and Woodland Direct is sending a new hyraulic pump out. But for $ 2100 bucks, I expect no problems... at all. Anybody else have that happen with the Iron and Oak?

Me and my brothers decided to get together and buy my dad a splitter for Father's Day. In his late 70's and his maul swinging shoulder acting up. it seemed like the time to do so. Sifting through all the data on Arboristsite, it looked like the 22 ton Iron and Oak with the Honda GX motor was the way to go. It worked fine for a few days andthen the engine mounting screws came off and the hydraulic pump started leaking fluid. No problem with the the motor being re-secured and Woodland Direct is sending a new hyraulic pump out. But for $ 2100 bucks, I expect no problems... at all. Anybody else have that happen with the Iron and Oak?

Should be a great splitter. Could it have been as simple as nuts and bolts and clamps not being re-tightened after shipping? I'm certainly no expert but I have read that recommendation many times. When you get the splitter home, check the fluids, clamps, nuts, etc.

Bought a TS Huskee 22ton. We split about 1 cord with it and I changed the engine oil (10W30 synth). At that time all was well. After splitting about 1 more cord I noticed the motor mounting bolts were loose (they had nylox nuts on them) so I tightened them. We split about 5 more cords and I decided to change the hydraulic filter (Donaldson 551551). Gave everthing a look over and noticed the motor mounting bolts loose again and the lovejoy coupling half on the pump had slid down the shaft such that only half of the jaw length was engaged on the spider. Anyhoo, readjusted it, tightened it and the motor bolts. So now, before starting it up, I always give it a quick look over when I check the oil and gas to see if everything is tight and in place. Lot of vibration going on there so I guess that is to be expected.

All common sense and good advice so far but i have to agree with Maul Man....for that coin you shouldn't have to do anything other than scheduled maintenance. Looks like the assembly guy got a little limp wristed building yours. It's really quite the commentary on the state of this country these days.

All common sense and good advice so far but i have to agree with Maul Man....for that coin you shouldn't have to do anything other than scheduled maintenance. Looks like the assembly guy got a little limp wristed building yours. It's really quite the commentary on the state of this country these days.

Well said,pony express976. I realise that during the course of use, things will loosen and need to be re-tightened, But you shouldn't have 3 of four nuts drop off the engine mount within about 2 hours of use. Somebody went to lunch on the assembly line early and forgt what they were doing.

Latest posts

Back