You guys clean your chains? How?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coen9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I recently bought a new Stihl saw and read the manual cover to cover like a good new owner (yes, I'm noob, see my other post "I seek your wisdom" if you're interested), and in the manual in numerous places they say to "clean the chain." Uh, how exactly?....and with what? Do you all clean your chains? How often?

My first thought was, how the hell am I gonna get all the crap that accumulates on it... off of it...and do I really have to? My first guess was some solvent, a rag, and a wire-bristled toothbrush? However, that sounds like a royal pain in the ass.

Turns out that if you google it, some sites say to soak it in an ammonia solution?

What do you pro's do?

Thanks for reading.

So I recently bought a new Stihl saw and read the manual cover to cover like a good new owner (yes, I'm noob, see my other post "I seek your wisdom" if you're interested), and in the manual in numerous places they say to "clean the chain." Uh, how exactly?....and with what? Do you all clean your chains? How often?

My first thought was, how the hell am I gonna get all the crap that accumulates on it... off of it...and do I really have to? My first guess was some solvent, a rag, and a wire-bristled toothbrush? However, that sounds like a royal pain in the ass.

Turns out that if you google it, some sites say to soak it in an ammonia solution?

What do you pro's do?

Thanks for reading.

I cut wood with mine :) Seriously though, The only time I clean them is when I take them to the shop to do a serious sharpening along with setting the rakers, I drop them in the parts washer full of mineral spirits and then blast them with compressed air. Works for me.

They're self cleaning when you apply just the right amount of cutting pressure at just the right RPM on the saw.

this is what I do. if my chain looks dirty at the end of the day I clean it. lets say I am cutting something with alot of sap and it's warm maybe a pine of some sort. that crap sticks to the bar. a good solvent and a brass bristle brush and the cain is clean in no time at all. I just pour the solvent (mineral spirits) in an old baking pan that I use for cleaning parts and let soak while I have a beer. Then I lay it on the work bench and quickly brush with the bristle brush on each side then rinse in the solvent. Takes 5 to ten minutes depending on how many beers I drink while I'm letting it soak. It's not a bad idea to oil the chain after you do this. Some people even soak the chains in oil after cleaning. I don't but it sounds like a good idea.

this is what I do. if my chain looks dirty at the end of the day I clean it. lets say I am cutting something with alot of sap and it's warm maybe a pine of some sort. that crap sticks to the bar. a good solvent and a brass bristle brush and the cain is clean in no time at all. I just pour the solvent (mineral spirits) in an old baking pan that I use for cleaning parts and let soak while I have a beer. Then I lay it on the work bench and quickly brush with the bristle brush on each side then rinse in the solvent. Takes 5 to ten minutes depending on how many beers I drink while I'm letting it soak. It's not a bad idea to oil the chain after you do this. Some people even soak the chains in oil after cleaning. I don't but it sounds like a good idea.

aha! A cleaner.

Yea, almost ALL I'm doing is bucking downed pine...over...and over...and over.

So, mineral spirits huh? Not ammonia.

Stupid manual AND stupid internet

aha! A cleaner.

Yea, almost ALL I'm doing is bucking downed pine...over...and over...and over.

So, mineral spirits huh? Not ammonia.

Stupid manual AND stupid internet

ammonia would work spirits just work faster and give you a little buzz while your cleaning LOL

I only sharpen chains once or twice a year. I just keep a huge stockpile of them on hand during the working season and then clean and sharpen them during the winter. While sitting in the shop for months on hand, sometimes a chain will stiffen up with moisture or sap on it and require cleaning. I usually just clean all my chains (60 or so at a time) in a 5-gallon bucket.

I use a 'simply green' cleaner that I buy from a farm and fleet store in gallon jugs. costs about $10 for a jug. I soak the chains overnight in hot water and the right dillution of the cleaner and then dunk them in bar oil before hanging them up to drip off the excess oil. By the time the chains drip dry, they look shiny and clean and are ready for sharpening.

For storage of the sharpened chains, I put them in baggies and write the bar size on the baggie in permanent marker. I can then quickly grab baggies and throw them in a tote bag along with saw maintenance tools and parts for quick retrieval on the jobsite.

The only time I tried to clean one was when I had to drop a mimosa tree. That sap gunked it up real bad, I could not find anything to clean it, finally just tossed it and put a new one on. I will never cut another mimosa tree.

If I am going to do a major sharpening, I blow it off w/ the air compressor.

Just cleaned up the chains on all 3 saws. Had a whole bunch of glued on muck on the side of them. Put saw in vise and used a round wire wheel in the drill and shined them up. Brushed up the cutters and checked the rakers. Took chain off and compressed air everything off, then checked the bars and cleaned the saws up. I dont like using cleaners and stuff. The only thing ill use is wd-40 or a tub of oil if something needs to be soaked

I clean the bar only .
The chain will clean itself of sap.

Exception to the above.I will rinse a chain with water,and then oil it up real good, if it was stuck in the sand,right after I curse the idiot who got it in the dirt.Sand will destroy the cutters, bar and sprocket .

I clean the bar only .

Exception to the above.I will rinse a chain with water,and then oil it up real good, if it was stuck in the sand,right after I curse the idiot who got it in the dirt.Sand will destroy the cutters, bar and sprocket .

Don't use water, use only mineral or petrol based solvents. Blow the chain dry with air and submerge the chain in oil to re lubricate and prevent rust. Water will have no effect on petrol based bar lube as it is not water soluable. Diesel and or kerosene is a good choice because not only is it a good solvent but it has a high level of lubricity which in itself is an excellent rust preventitive

April fools?

Please tell me you guys are joking. Does anyone REALLY clean their chains? I have never cleaned mine, after decades of saw ownership! I cut lots of pine (among other types of wood) but I have never felt any need to clean the chain. I sharpen after every tank of fuel, clean the bar grooves very infrequently, but never, ever bother with the chain. That little sucker is moving so fast and engaging so much wood I just can't imagine anything that would not be removed through friction with the wood.

Seriously, what would the point be for cleaning a chain?

No, I don't clean my chains. What I will do is disinfect them along with my hand saw with mineral spirits after I prune Oaks or Elms so I don't spread disease.

Other than that I just file and grind them as necessary.

Please tell me you guys are joking. Does anyone REALLY clean their chains? I have never cleaned mine, after decades of saw ownership! I cut lots of pine (among other types of wood) but I have never felt any need to clean the chain. I sharpen after every tank of fuel, clean the bar grooves very infrequently, but never, ever bother with the chain. That little sucker is moving so fast and engaging so much wood I just can't imagine anything that would not be removed through friction with the wood.

:agree2:Like I said the only exception would be to rinse sand off of one.
I clean the bar only .

Don't use water, use only mineral or petrol based solvents. Blow the chain dry with air and submerge the chain in oil to re lubricate and prevent rust. Water will have no effect on petrol based bar lube as it is not water soluable. Diesel and or kerosene is a good choice because not only is it a good solvent but it has a high level of lubricity which in itself is an excellent rust preventitive

Water is one of the best cleaning fluids of all time .I am talking about rinsing sand .
Cleaned many a racing engine block with lots of water,then blow dry,then brake clean ,then finally WD-40

I take mine down to the Korean dry cleaner in town where they are cleaned using only organic cleaning detergents.
What? Did somebody allready make that joke?

Think about it there have actually been threads for best buffing compound and wax for plasic so your saw looks better than new,
Sometimes chains do need cleaned like with some gooey pines but usually clean wood will make a clean chain. I have raely ever cleaned chains

Latest posts

Back