You guys that burn hedge...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its got steel strings. I play some croce, and beatles. I love to fingerpick, but I also can fingerpick and hold a pick at the same time. Playing guitar is different than listening to music. I would never listen to croce, but the guitar is fun, and it reminds me of my dad. They like to hear me play. I've always been musically inclined, just can't sing.

I think that's what they call hybrid picking - holding the flatpick betwix the thumb and index to sound the bass and attacking the treble strings with the remaining fingers. Looks hard. But so does speaking Japanese - unless you're from Japan.

I know what you're saying about accessing music on different terms based on listening versus playing. Don't listen to much classical at all. But learning those pieces is fun. Same way problem solving is. When you're proficient at a difficult tune, it's like finishing the NYT crossword. (Actually, I'm more of a cryptogram person.)

Time to go cut some wood before the rain starts up again!

Osage orange is all we burn for fire wood. Nothing else like it. Harder than a rock and is beautiful wood. There are hundreds if not thousands of miles of them growing here. Most of them I take down are around a hundred years old. I could probably make some fair money if I bought a saw mill. They were planted here to control wind erosion of the top soil on farm ground. The farm kids I grew up with ask me to cut as much as I want. I have about an 1/8 mile row on the west side of my property but I leave them alone.:) It was prized by the Indian's for bow's as it is for modern archers. I usually cut and haul in 10 to 20 wheat truck loads of 15' foot logs along with dad. That last us each 4 to 5 winters fire wood. Some of these logs I have to jump side to side with a 20'' bar to get through the log.

Here's an osage that would make a lot of guitars. It's not too far from me but the only problem is that it's in a state park.

Maybe I could pretend like I'm part of the ground crew and cut it up.

3680649151_34891c344f.jpg

These off beat species are really the ones I want to get into milling. Maple and walnut are plentiful around here, and while they are beautiful, they aren't as interesting. Is there any convenient place on the web I can learn more about these?

Back