You guys think this table will crack more? Crazy GF took the axe to it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of flipping it and epoxy. Even before the axe, I reckon it was a ***** to keep it clean from dry stuff in the cracks, and I’d be worried about permanent stains from liquids.

Next time she needs to rage like that, try to direct her towards a pile of stuff that needs splitting. It’s pretty therapeutic, seriously.

Adorable kids!

Dang! I heard some old wives tales that trees cut down with an axe didn’t crack as much because of the larger surface area compared to a clean saw cut, but I have never tested the theory. I’d just clean it up and wait until the slab stabilises then do something with epoxy and maybe a bow tie or two on the cracks. Your kids could find some shells at the beach or something to put in the epoxy.

Did anyone already say this yet?
If you haven't already broken up with her, you should do so. Especially since it looks like you have children, you don't want your children to learn that that is the way that you deal with your anger. And and I would be frightened if anyone who uses an ax in the house...

If you can't flip it, you can fill it, shorten the table, or mill the whole slab to the level of the damage. It looks like it'll still be 1.5" thick after re-milling. If you want it to look undamaged, milling it is the way to go.

If you belt sand the bottom and collect the sawdust, you can mix the sawdust with wood filler to get a wood filler that will take stain and look a lot more like the original wood.

You could also patch it. Take a circle saw to the bottom of both ends... On the ends of the table, cut about 1/4" from the bottom edge and as deep as the blade will go, then set the depth to 1/4" and cut across the bottom to free that board. You'll end up with an intentional-looking notch out on the bottom on both sides, and two 1/4" boards that can be cut up to drop in to the hole on the top. Route out that hole to be squareish and 1/4" deep, and use wood filler to fill it up to 1/4 where needed. It'll still look like a patch but it'll be patched with the original wood.

I kind of like the idea of pouring it full of epoxy. Poured epoxy would also let you seal the whole top and fill all those checks in the top, and give you a fun conversation piece (oh, we don't know who broke in here and tried to hatchet murder the furniture, could have been anybody).

Whatever you do, you should seal the table or it will keep checking. Epoxy it, stain and urethane it, rub it down with linseed oil, vegetable oil, mineral oil... all will preserve the wood and look nice. The oils look the most Iike raw wood, but you have to reapply it regularly.

I think they use a epoxy for restaurant wood tables. Leave the checks they will fill in. I’d flip it and epoxy it. I’d try gluing the checks first then clamp it. Then epoxy it. We can see the checks go though.

Speaking of axes,
My oldman made an awesome wooden work bench. Me and my three brothers did a vee chop on the front edge with an ax every chance we go. He was so pizzed.

My buddy had a fire in a barn style house. We put in 12” x 12” x 18’ red oak beams as the second floor horizontal support. They checked bad.

Crazy gf took an ax to it? Lock up the knives and axes? I’d sleep with oneveye open. My son has a Native American gf he keeps his head shaved so she cant scalp him. I laugh.

Crazy gf took an ax to it? Lock up the knives and axes? I’d sleep with oneveye open. My son has a Native American gf he keeps his head shaved so she cant scalp him. I laugh.
If your son makes the mistake of calling her “His little Squaw” hair or not, she WILL Scalp him

My High School Sweetheart was Half Ottawa/Chippewa Upper Michigan Tribe. I MADE that Mistake. I just thought that it meant “Indian Woman “, uhm, NOPE, it has some VERY Derogatory Connotations. When I picked myself up, and my Jaw would work enough to talk, I asked, WTF???

She made it VERY CLEAR that I would NEVER, EVER call her that Again

Trust me, I never did

Doug

Back