You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have cut and split a load of firewood under a full moon on a clear night in Feb. just because!!

...you love the idea of firing up a big yellow saw to make noodles and chips...

and when you think lifting big chunks of maple onto the splitter bed is good exercise... (it is!!)

and when you love going outside of the house to smell the wood being burned... apple wood is nice... piss elm not quite so... :hmm3grin2orange:

you know you heat with wood when

you find bar oil on sale at tractor supply and put it on your Christmas list.

your work gloves have creosote drippings on them

the glow from your chimney lights up the backyard

you pray for wind from the west so your neighbors on the north side don't b***h

1" sapplings are no longer ground up in the chipper

... you welcome north winds and high pressure centers because that means the woodstove will burn hotter and supply more heat to the house. :msp_smile:

No kidding!

I've been cutting sead pine to have fast burning wood during these unnatural warm temps. Did the same lat 2 years. Even hitting the wood pile I been shuttling off my good oak and maple hoping against hope to find punkey pieces to feed a stove during increasingly warmer winter onsets.

We finally seem to be entering a cycle we should have been in in central NH a week before Thanksgiving.

So I guess the takeaway here is, you know you heat with wood when you have to rejigger the pile and recut fast btus to comply with shifting warming trends.

woodbooga, why don't you got no avatar?

Go find an avatar before you get bunned for not having an avatar...

I gots Darin on speed dial... if you don't get it up by the time I visit here tomorrow, I'll have him can yer azz...

No, not really, but at least put an avatar back up for us to see. :cheers:

woodbooga, why don't you got no avatar?

Go find an avatar before you get bunned for not having an avatar...

I gots Darin on speed dial... if you don't get it up by the time I visit here tomorrow, I'll have him can yer azz...

No, not really, but at least put an avatar back up for us to see. :cheers:

LOL! Been a few weeks since stopping in to say hello.

Reckon you know u heat with wood when you have no time between work and cutting to stop in to AS and they revoke avatar privilges:hmm3grin2orange:

You know you heat with wood\collect chainsaws when

You drive by a place you have spotted that you are sure they must have an old saw or two they might sell since there is so much STUFF in the yard and falling down barns.

Your truck cab, in particluar the storage shelf (back seat), has almost as much sawdust/bark as the box does.
You can figure out off the top of your head how many truckloads it will take to to fill a row for someone you help cut wood for.
You can guess how many truckloads tree tops left over from logging are.
You can fill a grocery bag with gloves from your truck that have holes worn in 2 or more fingers.
You practaly have VIP status at the local saw shop.
You go to the saw shop just to look at the used saws and bs with the owner, even when you don't really need to go there for anything.
You go deer hunting in a woods that has been logged and spend more time figuring out a plan of how to process all the wood rather than think about hunting.
You become freinds with someone who heats with a OWB, and become even better friends when they get a M35A2 as a firewood truck.
You watch 6" and smaller dia. oak, elm, ash, cherry and maple getting fed into a chipper and think "what a waste".

When the cat is too warm to be cool.

attachment.php

Last edited:
You know you heat with wood when...

When you think about how much it costs in propane

.natural gas
to be gone for a few days and not use the wood burner.

...and cringe!!
$15 a month just to keep the pilot going...last time we checked. That was before the rates went up!

A few more:

The township/county shop has you on speed dial when they remove trees in the right of way.
You know the new and/or used saw inventory at the local shop by heart.
You know the average shelf life of a used saw by model at the local shop. (ex.: 044/440 sells under 1 week, rarely 2)
You get free biology lessons from nature about all of the fun critters, such as the ground hornets living right under the 3 yr old oak blowdown, and finding out what a milk snake is after find one inside of the rounds as split them, etc.
You wonder why someone would ever pass on piles of cull logs/butt cuts that you eventully get 10+ truckloads from, even though you had to hack through 5 ft high stinging nettles to get to it, find snakes the fun way in the pile, and get this stuck and wraped around twice in one of the knuckles on the front drive shaft of your 4-wheeler:

attachment.php

and have to borrow a power inverter to use a dremel tool to cut it out in the dark after driving your truck as close as you dare to the 4-wheeler.
You consider an old manure spreader an excellent wood trailer.

Neighbors think you are training for the olympic shot put team when they see you throwing wood to the top of your pile. You have years of newspapers and old bills piling up in a box cause you always want to be prepared to start a fire. (Very little is ever used cause the fire never goes out)You think high heat black paint, fire starting squares, wedges, chains, sparkplugs, and screnches make great stocking stufffers. Kids can't hang their stockings on the mantle cause the chocolate turns into little tinfoil blobs. Need to water the fresh Christmas tree three times a day cause the woodburner is sucking all the water out of the room. Your the only house on the the block Santa takes his coat off before he comes down the chimney. You know you can put away your chimney brush and poles after December 25th cause Santa knocks down all the soot. Reindeer stop to take a break on your roof to warm up. Santa has to knock on your front door cause the heat from the chimney is too much to handle. Merry Christmas!!!

Back