You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coal?

You don't mind when Santa brings coal, you just hope he brings a few tons to get you through winter.
You like shoveling coal rather collecting and burning wood? Interesting. I suppose we could start a coal thread. Dad used to shovel and burn it back in '49 and '50.

Nearest coal mines to me are in Wyoming and Colorado. On the other hand, dead or dying trees are everywhere.

I burn a few five gallon bucks a year, only at night when I don't think I am going to up in time time to reload the stove and don't want it to go out. I throw a few lumps in on very cold nights, just for a little extra insurance that I will have some coals for a restart if needed. I burn wood 99.9% of the time, just said it for the ha ha effect cause unfortunately Santa don't bring wood.

Santa does bring wood heat

I burn a few five gallon bucks a year, only at night when I don't think I am going to up in time time to reload the stove and don't want it to go out. I throw a few lumps in on very cold nights, just for a little extra insurance that I will have some coals for a restart if needed. I burn wood 99.9% of the time, just said it for the ha ha effect cause unfortunately Santa don't bring wood.
On the contrary, I'm Santa Claus to several of my best customers and friends. I drop off about three wheel barrows full of wood to them right before Christmas and charge them nothing. That means that I do it now.

Usually the lady of the house gives me a big hug, a smile, and says "Thanks". That's all that I need.

They film a fake moon landing in what was at one time your woods.

You have more pictures in your phone of wood you've cut than pictures of your kids. (me)

Like These...

downsized_1218110924.jpg

downsized_1015111002.jpg

2011-09-17_15-17-43_322.jpg

2011-09-17_09-56-18_79.jpg

...you've improved the water drainage in your backyard because the tracks that you're fully loaded diesel truck and wood trailer (~15,000lbs) made comes from the woods, which also happens to be the low ground.

...it's 80* in your living room and you get a little chill when you walk into the back room that's only 70ish.

...you spent about an hour splitting kindling only to come home in the morning after work to find a cold wood burner and your entire kindling stash gone because your beautiful newlywed wife couldn't get a fire going because she used wood off the wrong pile. Hey, she's learning :)

...when getting the word out about family Christmas plans includes the phrase "dress lightly".

You know you're heating with wood when.....

you have splitting mauls in each outbuilding
you have more than a dozen saws
your wood splitter has 2 ft chip piles around it
the doctor looks at you and asks, " Are you smoking again ??"
Your wife asks,"Can you see through those glasses ??"
You think you have tinitis but it's just the hum from the OWB circulator.
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::smile2:

you have splitting mauls in each outbuilding
you have more than a dozen saws
your wood splitter has 2 ft chip piles around it
the doctor looks at you and asks, " Are you smoking again ??"
Your wife asks,"Can you see through those glasses ??"
You think you have tinitis but it's just the hum from the OWB circulator.
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::smile2:

tinninitis. more than a dozen??? your right,,and most on here,,started with one saw,,then the cad hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... when you've got the family looking for old splitting wedges at swap meets and flea markets 'cause that new Chinese steel just doesn't last as long.

... when your wife says she tried to find laundry detergent with "fresh wood smoke" scent because anything else is just wasted during the winter.

... when you stop by to visit the home where you grew up and keep remarking about how much more firewood is around the property than you remembered.

... when you gladly bust up a few pieces of apple wood by hand just to sucker the "tough guy" BIL from the city into giving it a shot, then spend the next two days of his visit saying "It's not as easy as splitting Apple" any time a job needs to be done.

... when you gladly bust up a few pieces of apple wood by hand just to sucker the "tough guy" BIL from the city into giving it a shot, then spend the next two days of his visit saying "It's not as easy as splitting Apple" any time a job needs to be done.

sounds like you had a good time. its always fun handing someone the splitting maul and then watching them try to split something. i personally like to give them some sassafras to try to split. then when they give up i tell them i always do it with the motorized splitter. ha

You can eyeball how many optiomal length rounds you can get from a log.
You then eyeball how many pieces of split wood you can get from 1 of those rounds.
You can figure out off the top of your head how many of those rounds you need to split to make a truckload.
Your maul/fiskars SS has split more wood than your hydralic splitter.
You go to the saw shop christmas eve day for no other reason other than to shoot the breeze with the owner and tell them merry christmas.

Merry Christmas folks. :cheers:

Back