You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of your gloves look like this....

IMG_0414.jpg

The other morning I had on a BRAND NEW pair of deer skin insulated Kincos. I mean che sweet, going out on a date gloves.

FIRST LOG that I threw in wearing my new gloves took the right hand with it when I chucked that piece of maple in. On the bottom of the log, in the red hot coal bed, over 2 feet back into the stove.

I....was......so......mad...

(peanut gallery)How mad were you?(peanut gallery)

I was so mad that I threw the other glove into the stove amidst a woven tapestry of expletives.

That'll teach those gloves.....:bang:

Ditto! I just did this tonight. I tried to save my "really old welding gloves" with mink oil....but i sadly had to give them their last rights.

Arrggghhhh!!

you use the kids radio flyer to bring wood in

the shop vac stays by the fireplace

you build a rack in the living room to hold a face cord

keep boards to make the run way into your house on the deck

View attachment 217946

Mine always stays by the stove tile and my wood box holds about a face-cord or rick. I live in an old farm house, so to keep with the decor, I built mine out of a long pallet, framed a box around it and skinned it out in old barn wood. I could probably sell these things at farmer's markets or farm shows for a decent price. Too' bad I don't want to build another one,... LMAO

Two words: Ove Gloves.

Really! They're great for working on anything hot. I usually don't wear em (or any gloves) loading the stove, but if I'm dumping ashes they're on. You can hold your hand right on the stove pipe for quite a bit before it even gets warm.

I just spent 2 1/2 hours reading thru ALL 27 PAGES of this thread. I can relate to about 99% of the posts but the one i figured id see on here repeatedly wasnt anywhere.

You know you heat with wood when...

you have taken an unpaid week off of work to cut, split, and stack your firewood for next season (Try explaining that to your boss...)

Every few days, you have to clean the wood chips out of your toothbrush..

Last edited:
I just spent 2 1/2 hours reading thru ALL 27 PAGES of this thread. I can relate to about 99% of the posts but the one i figured id see on here repeatedly wasnt anywhere.

you have taken an unpaid week off of work to cut, split, and stack your firewood for next season (Try explaining that to your boss...)

Haven't done that, but I've used a few vacation days here and there when the call of the woods gets too strong to resist.

You have Northern Tool and TSC catalogs in the bathroom and the pages for wood stoves and chainsaw stuff are dog-eared.

Or somewhat similar: When your co-workers do not understand your love/fascination with all things outdoors, your constant desire to be in the woods cutting or the stress relief that comes from it. Then they go on to complain about their gas bills and still don't see the irony of it all. It's amazing how far a bit of sweat equity can go.

On a related note, here's two new definitions to common words that occurred to me recently.

1. Professionalism: The act of pretending that all is well, when you really want to choke those around you for stupidity, apathy, hypocrisy and laziness.

2. Stress: The body's natural reaction to the restrainment of one's desire to choke the living #### out of those around them.

:bang::angry::taped::D

Last edited:
... you learn the "alternate" meanings for the following:

"Got Lucky" = (Got some great future firewood.)

"Scored last night = (Same as above.)

"Nice looking stacks" = (Not speaking about a body part, rather c/s/s firewood stacked up nicely.)

"Soggy piles" = (Again, not a body part. Meaning "My c/s/s firewood is wet!")

"Scored some Cherry last night" = (Get you mind out of the gutter, guys! Means they picked up some Cherry wood.)

Shari

When the girls on the forums you visit are as naughty as the guys. :laugh: :heart:

I had a neighbor who built a dog kennel out of wood stacks (two sides and the back) then used t-posts to hold the chainlink door in place. Wife called him a hillbilly but personally I think he's on to something.

When you're one of the very few in your area who's regularly up to date with tetanus.

(Splinters & such.)

When your wife gives a load of wood to a friend and you charge your wife $50. (That'll learn her)

When your wife calls you a wood hoarder and threatens to put you on TV.

Sunday grocery shopping is done once a truck full of wood is cut an loaded and you stop on your way home parading through the store in knee highs leaving a trail of chips, mud and two cycle cologne.

When you spend time at work building wedges and wood carriers and wood racks when you should be working.

When wheelbarrow tracks on the hardwood floor are OK but muddy dog tracks are naughty.

When you dig post holes for a new woodshed during a brief warm up in January but have to cover the holes with giant elm rounds because it got cold again.

When you tell the wife she has to park outside because the garage is full of wood and you can't get to the wood pile until it freezes again and you want to keep it dry.

View attachment 220452

When you see a tree that's been cut down over the weekend on your way to work, and say to yourself, " I need to stop, and see if he wants to get rid of the wood, or needs help cutting it up." :hmm3grin2orange:

Back