ArboristSite.com Sponsors

You mess with a bear.........

Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins

Firewood by TJ
A couple of years ago during the summer the ranger in my district suggested a road that had been dormant for several years to use as a alternate route. So I grab my camera and clipboard and start hiking up this road that was being over taken with brush. My partner was about 500 feet below me on another parallel road when I start pushing my way through this bush when it started pushing back and to my surprise it was a young black bear taking a noon day nap. My first thought was if it attacks me I will mash my clipboard over its head. What I actually thought was there were no trees to climb with in 200 feet and the only thing I had was my clipboard so maybe raise it up to look taller and pray. While I was trying to come up with a realistic approach he or she rolled down the hill never to be seen at least for the day. Me maybe checking to see if I had some clothes to change into. Thanks

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite
A couple of years ago during the summer the ranger in my district suggested a road that had been dormant for several years to use as a alternate route. So I grab my camera and clipboard and start hiking up this road that was being over taken with brush. My partner was about 500 feet below me on another parallel road when I start pushing my way through this bush when it started pushing back and to my surprise it was a young black bear taking a noon day nap. My first thought was if it attacks me I will mash my clipboard over its head. What I actually thought was there were no trees to climb with in 200 feet and the only thing I had was my clipboard so maybe raise it up to look taller and pray. While I was trying to come up with a realistic approach he or she rolled down the hill never to be seen at least for the day. Me maybe checking to see if I had some clothes to change into. Thanks
A black bear can climb a tree faster than you

Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins

Firewood by TJ
A black bear can climb a tree faster than you
You are wrong wrong. I would say pretty much any black bear can climb faster, run faster, run longer, eat faster than I can. One thing that has got my attention is how they can go through buck thorn bushes with ease while even looking at a bush with thorns up to 2 inches long I start bleeding even with chaps on. Thankfully they have given me plenty of respect Thanks

jeffc

jeffc

ArboristSite Member
I see no visible indication that this guy was at fault for being in there, yet found myself routing for the bear anyway. Was I the only one waiting for this to happen?
IMG_2633.GIF