You might be a logger if...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was all happy to get a "new" truck last year... its a 1997! It will replace my 83 once I put a dump bed on it.

I guess we could all have new pickups, but there's just so many other things I'd rather spend my money on. Got a price last year on a new f250 diesel....74k, that pays for a lot of trips, kids clothes and what not. The Chevy I paid 8500 for ten years ago still gets the fuel tank to and from the job.

Got a new truck myself Saturday, GMC S15 4x4, 1990 - it IS my newest truck, joins the other 4x4s, '63 GMC 4x4 dump truck, '84 Chev S10, and '87 S-10 .

Paid a premium over scrap, $250.00, needs new distributor (and probably a lot else) but ran till last week....

If you think about working in the woods:
* having to work long hours in the never ending rain in september
* having to work long hours in the hot summer months and in freezing blizzards in winter
* having to work surrounded by all sorts of hazards that could take your life at any given moment, not just trees and heavy equipment but ticks and snakes and other nasty bugs. Not to mention bears and wolves.
*doing all that whilst knowing that you could make more money doing just about anything else...

If you think of those things and still think it's the best job one can have you might be a logger.
Or insane.

IF YOU Are hAving your mid day lunch and Fallers are flying in for hot soup then to sleep the afternoon away.....
Then you just might be a Logger.

If you have never slept through 3 cycles of fueling for three weeks straight and never heard the helicopter then...

YOU MIGHT be a logger

If you gather chip-ins and get the 500 pilot to take you to the nearest town for beer and the 'would be' helicopter bill exceeds 3 points (about $600)...
THEN YOU might be a Helli-Logger.
...and a friend of the Fallers

IF YOU clean up excessively in a fallers quarter for weed smokes and beer and justify your time otherwise.....
THEN YOU might be a Helli-Logger

If you all are drinking and 'hot boxing the shop after dinner and the 500 engineer is coming on shift and says " It smells like a party going on in here"
You reply with a lung full and between puffs you say.. .." Every night and you are welcome"....

THEN YOU just might be a Helli-Logger.

It's good for now

I'll never work in this town again.

... you hate curled chokers
... you hate frayed chokers
... you cut broken strands out of chokers to make them last a little longer
... you hate longer chokers
... you hate short chokers
... you hate new chokers
um, you hate chokers, but are stuck with them.

... you like the weather 4 weeks out of the year. The rest is complaining.

... if you are saying "I need to fix that" for three years, and never realize you've been saying it for three years.

... if you say I need more money, but never look for anything else to do with your life.

... you walk in the house and your wife says "oh my gosh, don't touch anything!"

... your wife says "we need to get more washing machine cleaning packets, I just ruined another shirt", and you know she is saying it because she washed the clothes right after you had a mechanic day.

If'n yer feelin like hammered dog **** already, but you have to meet the truck because of gates, so you get a little priduction done cause its an hour drive one way...

Then while yer stacking the very last log of the day a hose lets go... and the machine may get moved tomorrow... morning...

I'm temporarily reformed from my logging habit because of that. I've been doing carpentry again. It's not too danged inspiring, Ill tell ya.

I guess we could all have new pickups, but there's just so many other things I'd rather spend my money on. Got a price last year on a new f250 diesel....74k, that pays for a lot of trips, kids clothes and what not. The Chevy I paid 8500 for ten years ago still gets the fuel tank to and from the job.
Sometimes it's cheaper to get a new pickup to write off then hand it all over to uncle Sam.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sometimes it's cheaper to get a new pickup to write off then hand it all over to uncle Sam.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
See I get how that works, but then the economics of scale come into play. When ya only make 80k a year and a new pickup is 60-70k, the tax write off doesn't add up.

But at the same time, I've had folks offer me free stuff, but then I'd rather buy new because then it is a write off... not to mention free isn't always good or correct for the application.

Back