Stihl ms500i with a .404 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this even an option? I suppose it would be a simple change over, but only if can you get from Stihl a bar to run a .404 with the smaller bar mounts. I'm tempted to get a 500i, but only with the .404 set up. My 461 is a lot of saw, that the 500i wouldn't really do much more if is were to just run a my 3/8 chains.

Can you tell that I am looking for an excuse to buy a 500i?

You’ve come to the right place to be enabled! :laughing: I have no idea how the 500i handles .404 chain, but either way, you must get a 500i :p

I've been telling myself I don't need one for over a year. It seems that WANT is stronger then need. A bit of justification (a push) is all that is required now.

I still can't find one locally, so it is pretty easy not to buy one YET. BUT there is the $1400 stimulus check making its way thru our generous/crazy congress, and I being a good patriot need to step up and help stimulate the economy. :happybanana:

Is this even an option? I suppose it would be a simple change over, but only if can you get from Stihl a bar to run a .404 with the smaller bar mounts. I'm tempted to get a 500i, but only with the .404 set up. My 461 is a lot of saw, that the 500i wouldn't really do much more if is were to just run a my 3/8 chains.

Can you tell that I am looking for an excuse to buy a 500i?
They have 3003 mount bars in .063 - .404. Shorter bars are wide nose. 32 + 36 are narrow.
At least in this area. But they do make them
So that will work. The rim "shouldn't" be that big a problem
So scratch that off as a roadblock.

They have 3003 mount bars in .063 - .404. Shorter bars are wide nose. 32 + 36 are narrow.
At least in this area. But they do make them
So that will work. The rim "shouldn't" be that big a problem
So scratch that off as a roadblock.

What length of bar are you thinking? Mine has been running a 115 driver 3/8’s semi skip with a 8 pin sprocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to check with my dealer and see if they can put together the package. I'm thinking 28" B&C.

I'm sure you could run .404 on a 500i, bars and tips are available, not sure why one would though, durability? I would say .404 would put a lot of stress on the saw.

I have an 8 pin and 28" bar on my 500i right now and it does fine in most wood, the real tough stuff like Hickory or Locust 7 pin is definitely better.

I'm sure you could run .404 on a 500 bars and tips are available, not sure why one would though, durability? I would say .404 would put a lot of stress on the saw.

I have an 8 pin and 28" bar on my 500i right now and it does fine in most wood, the real tough stuff like Hickory or Locust 7 pin is definitely better.

LOL! Cutting wood puts stress on a saw. Run a .404 chain, and it will blow your hair back.

Because it's slow. And more stress on the AV and crank/bearings. Plus having to buy different bars, chains, sprockets, etc. None of these is a deal breaker, but you'd want to have a good reason to run it.
I ran a 066 with 404 chain once and it was super grabby in the wood. Seemed to cut slower than 3/8 too.

LOL! Cutting wood puts stress on a saw. Run a .404 chain, and it will blow your hair back.
.404 is for big saws with big bearings. I have and do on my lightly ported 395, but even than I prefer 3/8. In real hard wood .404 can get grabby, but it does hold an edge longer. I also ran it on my 084 here and there.

I run the .404 on my 880 and it is not grabby, cuts super fast and holds an edge like nothing I have ever experienced. I recently bought two 80dl, Skip, Chisel .404 at $25 a chain.

All advantage, no downside that I have experienced. As far as hard on the saw, need big bearings and the 500i is not big enough a saw. Bull S.

My ms290 came with a .325 chain, I upgraded to a 3/8. All good, despite all the negatives highlighted above.

I run the .404 on my 880 and it is not grabby, cuts super fast and holds an edge like nothing I have ever experienced. I recently bought two 80dl, Skip, Chisel .404 at $25 a chain.

All advantage, no downside that I have experienced. As far as hard on the saw, need big bearings and the 500i is not big enough a saw. Bull S.

My ms290 came with a .325 chain, I upgraded to a 3/8. All good, despite all the negatives highlighted above.
In regards to the grabby comments by myself and others. This is associated with cutting hard woods, which is the only thing I ever cut with 404. In montana we simply do not have any wood that is hard in the way black locust, oak, and rock maple is out east.

In regards to the grabby comments by myself and others. This is associated with cutting hard woods, which is the only thing I ever cut with 404. In montana we simply do not have any wood that is hard in the way black locust, oak, and rock maple is out east.

The only time I have experience grabby is when I lowered my rakers to 0.030 rather then the 0.025. There have been folks here that recommend removing the rakers entirely. I find that ridiculous, but I do remember that they never comment anything about being grabby. Maybe I just don't have the sensitivity of some of the East Coast sawyers. :laughing:

But then again what do I know. There are pictures here of custom rakers measuring tools that have digital displays to measure 1/1000th of differences. So it must be important, right?

Well what are you waiting for?!

The smallest saw I have with .404 is an 82cc MAC with a 25” Stihl bar and a 7 pin. Is it hard on the saw - don’t know. Is it as fast as 3/8” with an 8 pin.- I doubt it. Why? To be different, I like the wider kerf and it last a while. Would my 500i run it - yes. Do I plan to - no, I bought it for the weight savings,

Ron

Back