"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Is there a 2016 you suck thread? If so, please merge this topic.

Otherwise, here goes. Last year I sold my old Poulan Countervibe 3400, and I've since kind of regretted it. So when a 4000 popped up on CL, I had to jump on it. Best part was that it was $50 for two saws. The other one is a cheap plastic 45cc Homelite, but it runs strong. I don't see any reason why I can't get $50 for that one, thus making my 4000 free!

Did I mention that it sure looks like all it will need is a carb kit & fuel line? (And a good cleaning, of course!)

image.jpeg

I don't guess it's too chainsaw related, but if I have to put the bass boat in the water with saws aboard to get to the wood, lol...I did manage to score a brand new $290 Precision Propeller, Turbo Hot Shot prop for the bass boat...for $50 from one of my BIL's friends. I guess it qualifies for some '16 suckage.

3d320c56da1c42765623f62fefff82ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I don't guess it's too chainsaw related, but if I have to put the bass boat in the water with saws aboard to get to the wood, lol...I did manage to score a brand new $290 Precision Propeller, Turbo Hot Shot prop for the bass boat...for $50 from one of my BIL's friends. I guess it qualifies for some '16 suckage.

Definitely

Yup, you definitely suck.

curios if you changed pitch when you went to the Stainless steel prop? Reason I ask is we are going to replace a four blade aluminum 20P prop to a 17P four blade stainless propr for pulling tubes etc on a I/O They say two go down two picth when going from alum to stainless

curios if you changed pitch when you went to the Stainless steel prop? Reason I ask is we are going to replace a four blade aluminum 20P prop to a 17P four blade stainless propr for pulling tubes etc on a I/O They say two go down two picth when going from alum to stainless
I did...went from a 3-blade 9 pitch to this 3-blade 12 pitch. This prop is on a Mercury 4-stroke 25. I have another outboard, a 70, for the bigger lakes. I have the 25 on the Pro Crappie 175 now. If we commit to fishing the smaller lake tournaments for the year, we put the 25 Merc on (most of the lakes that are smaller tournament lakes have maximum 25HP restrictions). And the 25 Merc moves the boat quite well...ain't settin no speed records but it gets the job done pretty good. Most of the other guys are running engines smaller than 25HP so we get the 'hole shot' effect, lol.

I know nothing about props and boats and such. But 'splain it to a novice… why would merely the material choice for the prop affect the selection of pitch?

Aluminum props will flex under load so that effectively reduces pitch in a way and that is called prop slip. A stainless steel prop has very little give so no flex which means pitch doesn't change like a alum so it will slips less. By saying slip it would be the same theory behind a loose clutch slipping in a way. Except it slips in the water not pushing the boat forward. So when the prop slips less with a stainless steel prop your engine will not turn as high of rpm and you can actually lose speed and performance if you don't have enough HP to turn the actual operating pitch of the prop.

In short my boat is over propped by one pitch with an aluminum prop. If I put the same pitch prop in stainless the boat would suffer performance wise. If I go from 19"pitch alum to a 17" stainless I should get a performance gain in hole shot and better power pulling the minions on the tube without lugging the engine.

It makes a really big difference if you are pulling a skier up. If you are over propped it can be very difficult to pull a skier up out of the water. Over propped is not good and under propped if not driven carefully a person can redline an engine by over revving thus rod thrown.

That makes perfect sense--pitch of the prop changing because of the material flexing. I like to learn new things. Thank you.

Would be (sort of) like putting vastly different-than-stock tires on your truck w/out changing the diff gears. If you went to 8" rims you'd redline trying to get to 60mph. Go for 26" swampers and wonder why you don't have any low-end power.

(except I understand that you're saying the prop actually changes pitch based on the resistance of the water, etc. The tire analogy breaks down there…)

Sorry to de-rail… who got something cool over the weekend?

Back