"You Suck" Thread 2018--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
49B66D37-CE22-427E-8238-E670E2581CAF.jpeg 7B38F0E3-1027-47A2-8C43-23D8D4897E84.jpeg First time looking at this thread. Made my “Garage Art” thread about these two pawn shop finds. Figured I’d add them here also.

Don’t know if they’re worth anything, or if I can get them running yet, but I’m keeping them.

Homelite $20, Craftsman $25.

And supposedly they have the original case for the Homelite somewhere in the back, but couldn’t find it today. But I won’t need it.
Might mount it in the wall in the living room.

I was on a mowing job Thursday when the neighbor came over to borrow a big recycle bin. His folks are moving. He asked if I was interested in a snow blower? I said no. He said it's new. I said no. He said I'll give you a good deal. I said no. He said really, it's brand new, never used, and you can have it for $100. I said yes.
CJuPeMb.jpg
If it has the electric start, be careful with the spline gear inside. It strips very very easy, and replacements come as the entire starter only.

Not a super suck but still pretty nice. Picked up a Husky 51 for $50. It was a bit dirty in a good way - oily sawdust - that cleans easily with degreaser and a spray from the hose. All parts were present and in sound shape - no cracks, holes, missing screws, etc.
It did turn out to have a scored piston but the cylinder cleaned up easily. As I was reassembling after replacing the piston, I found the likely cause of scoring. Someone had put the exhaust deflector on backwards so the cylinder was getting a direct blast of hot exhaust gas. The clinder damage had to be fast because the plastics in that area showed no sign of prolonged excessive heat.
Husky 51 - 2.jpg Husky 51 - 1.jpg

If anybody wants to host the pic and post it that would be GREAT! Otherwise, I aint got that part figured out yet. I ran across the motherload of YOU SUCK today! A logger in the area recently died of cancer and his wife just wanted all this saw stuff gone. For FREE! I gladly took it off her hands but I suspect I will go back and give her something for them once I dig through them and see whats fixable reasonably. ANYWAY, I left there with a total of 11 saws, 2 390xps, 1 371xp, 3 jonsereds, not sure of sizes, 1 355? husky, and 5 562xps! The 1st 390 I examined when I got them home and did a complete tear down on only appears to need the dang starter housing and a fuel tank which was in the pile of parts! I will put a set of rings in it just since IM there already but I fully expect for $50 bucks or so to have this one up and cutting timber. The next 390 will need a flywheel side crankcase, bearings, seals, and a fuel tank but still that's only 200 bucks or so on that one! I haven't looked at the 371 much except to see that its all there. The johnny reds and the 562s I know nothing about but with as many 562s as there are I expect to build at least one without buying anything!

I’m gonna do you a solid and take one of those P.I.T.A husky 562xp autotunes off of you...you don’t want that electronic stuff anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually built this one for a friend a couple years back. Got dropped off today with a 266 to be fixed and he pointed to the Jonnyred and said "you can keep that one."
Still runs pretty nice. Going to need a new clutch drum and the a/v springs are pretty loose but I can't argue with the price.
f2f39ce3a4e8cf00f9fcf17722503fa5.jpg

I’ve had a lot of good finds this year. But this one takes the cake.

Husqvarna 288xp, purchased from original owner. Saw is in new condition, or as close to it as one could hope for.

24” b&c...... three extra chains, 5 brand new felling wedges and a couple screnches. Oh and a 2 gallon can of mix gas to boot.

$300-

054FBD07-6826-4765-BE1C-789D27116DCA.jpeg

I’ve had a lot of good finds this year. But this one takes the cake.

Husqvarna 288xp, purchased from original owner. Saw is in new condition, or as close to it as one could hope for.

24” b&c...... three extra chains, 5 brand new felling wedges and a couple screnches. Oh and a 2 gallon can of mix gas to boot.

$300-

View attachment 682095
Very nice score buddy :numberone:.
Is the top cover not original, or the clutch cover/brake, I can't see the tag, what yr is it.

F0D9D437-D4EB-41D7-A3FA-79A0379F4C53.jpeg
Very nice score buddy :numberone:.
Is the top cover not original, or the clutch cover/brake, I can't see the tag, what yr is it.

Brett,

So I’m sure your referring to the anniversary sticker, and the plastic brake flag.

I’m not home or I’d take a pic of the serial number.

I was a little curious about this myself, as I thought anniversery saws should have the metal brake flag. The Owner told me that he thought he purchased the saw in 1990.

He didn’t mention replacing either, but they didn’t have plastic flags on any of the anniverserybsaws did they? Here’s another pic.

I found a really clean 281 six months ago that had this same anniversery sticker and plastic flag..... but in that case also, I never payed enough attention to check the serial number :)

FWIW- the original owner said he used the saw to stump any apple trees that were too big for his other saw. Said he didn’t use it much..... which seems apparent for an almost 30 year old saw.

What are your thoughts?

I've been hiding in the North Woods for a while. Enjoy the you suck thread so here's my 20 dollar Stihl 08. Runs and cuts. Oregon bar but for 20 bucks what does I guy expect? My other you suck moments are free 039 that needed a carb. A ms 290 that burned down it got the muffler mod and a 390 top end. A ms 250 for 50 bucks that saw needed a good cleaning and some carb work. It ended up with a muffler mod and a new carb.

Attachments

• 5906.jpeg
    5906.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 5907.jpeg
    5907.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20181021_101014.jpg
    20181021_101014.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
View attachment 682662

Brett,

So I’m sure your referring to the anniversary sticker, and the plastic brake flag.

I’m not home or I’d take a pic of the serial number.

I was a little curious about this myself, as I thought anniversery saws should have the metal brake flag. The Owner told me that he thought he purchased the saw in 1990.

He didn’t mention replacing either, but they didn’t have plastic flags on any of the anniverserybsaws did they? Here’s another pic.

I found a really clean 281 six months ago that had this same anniversery sticker and plastic flag..... but in that case also, I never payed enough attention to check the serial number :)

FWIW- the original owner said he used the saw to stump any apple trees that were too big for his other saw. Said he didn’t use it much..... which seems apparent for an almost 30 year old saw.

What are your thoughts?
Yes sir.
Let me know, I'm interested, you might even contact the previous owner and ask if you can.
Purchased in 90, could be an 88-90, and maybe into 91 depending on how late in the yr.
Mine had a metal brake, it was an 89.
afik, the plastic flag came on 288 in 89. have a 89 like yours & 88 w/metal flag
Not doubting that happened, but the 89 I had was only dealer fired, maybe :D. I bought it from the original buyers son with all the paperwork, original bar and chain installed, never in wood and the awesome bar cover too :sweet:( @Drptrch :baba::lol:).
If you zoom in you may be able to see the 9 at the beginning of the tag.
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 8.44.07 PM.png

Yes sir.
Let me know, I'm interested, you might even contact the previous owner and ask if you can.
Purchased in 90, could be an 88-90, and maybe into 91 depending on how late in the yr.
Mine had a metal brake, it was an 89.

Not doubting that happened, but the 89 I had was only dealer fired, maybe :D. I bought it from the original buyers son with all the paperwork, original bar and chain installed, never in wood and the awesome bar cover too :sweet:( @Drptrch :baba::lol:).
If you zoom in you may be able to see the 9 at the beginning of the tag.
View attachment 682822

There she be, Oh and nice saw whatever it is :))))

Erik

Latest posts

Back