"You Suck" Thread 2018--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, my usual tipple of nice fresh 95 and Stihl blue at 50:1. Emptied the stuff that was in there and let it idle for a while before the video.
For that much smoke, the oiler gets sucked into the engine...you may have an oiler problem/leak that is not unheard of on those (I have 2). One is early (Port Washington NY) and the second is later (Charlotte NC). Both needed oiler work. Especially if they had E-10 in them in prior use.
Both of mine were $0, all the money was consumed on bar/chain/carb kit/oiler diaphragms

For that much smoke, the oiler gets sucked into the engine...you may have an oiler problem/leak that is not unheard of on those (I have 2). One is early (Port Washington NY) and the second is later (Charlotte NC). Both needed oiler work. Especially if they had E-10 in them in prior use.
Both of mine were $0, all the money was consumed on bar/chain/carb kit/oiler diaphragms

Thanks for the info! I have the smaller top handle XL and it smokes just like this. I assumed the rings we're shot, but now I'll check out the oiler

Dash it all.... a steep learning curve coming up. Any chance you could point me at the parts or kit I need for the oiler please? :dumb:

Dash it all.... a steep learning curve coming up. Any chance you could point me at the parts or kit I need for the oiler please? :dumb:

The bar oiler on the early ones are quite sophisticated for a tiny saw, not really that difficult to understand but certainly much more complicated than a crankcase pressurized like the poulan micro series.
The diaphragm/shafts are very scarce and usually expensive if you find them.
They made this style/family of saw for a long time but I think the much later (plastic)ones use a slightly different style/system.
IIRC duckbill or not, the diaphragm should totally block the bar oil side from the engine crankcase.

Yeah boy what a refresher looking at the schematic again. Pressurized oil tank, yet diaphragm/shaft metered to the bar feed. Thanks for posting
I see again if the diaphragm is stiff from E-10 the light spring may not push enough oil to the bar...I think this was the problem I ran into...
And I see again you are right the E-10 could kill the duck bill and oil could get sucked back to the engine through the impulse (& vacuum side) to the crankcase. The diaphragm, good or bad, would not block oil flow.

@67L36Driver That's amazing. Thank you!

Welcome.

Up next you will learn the ‘Homelite Tip & Slide’. Or, how one gets the engine out of the housing. [emoji106]

And, ‘while I’m at its’ that will invariably come up.

Tip: Pay strict attention to the throttle link!

26230921_10159878662240720_3881796024551367836_n.jpg
26733618_10159878662210720_8621735009265630046_n.jpg

my new remington made for montgomery ward. 20 inch roller nose bar(i think its really a 18 inch bar with a long chain, seller may have not known) 78 shipped from ebay. i cant wait to go play with it in the morning.

Latest posts

Back