"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple ways of looking at that. He's a relative with a few years on him so I would give him the wood anyway, so you got the saw for free. Or, I get $200 a cord so it cost $800. I wouldn't look at it as a business deal. I see it as your Dad's cousin gave you a family heirloom. And to say thanks, you are going to keep him in firewood for a while. You did good.

I totally agree, either way you look at it it's a great deal! I love getting firewood and I have a HUGE stash of Australian Eucalyptus which I can process and give to him. Some of it is so large that a 42 inch bar from both ways just meets in the middle, that's my MS660 with 36 inch bar:20190830_083425_resized.jpg
And yes, the saw has a tremendous amount of history and he's owned it since new, he was telling me how he milled all the timber for his woolshed with the saw along with other great stories about it. I'll certainly look after it and put it to good use! Here's the lineup of Stihl that it will be included in:20190830_083206_resized.jpg

I picked up all these for $100 off of Craigslist the other day from a guy who was high, and in case you don't recognize them they are a pair of Power Mac 6's, a Mac 35? and a Mac 440 that needs a coil, some hardware, an af cover and filter, and a recoil spring. The 35 ran for me and cut some wood while killing my hands before not starting after I shut it off, the 440 doesn't run but spins freely, and the 6's need the (crappy design) recoils fixed. I already swapped one of the 6's off (pending fixing) for an EARLY Husky 61 with a toasted P and C that may become a 272.
P.S. What goes in the hole on the 3(5?)?
IMG_3557.JPG
NxOKqjKdRR+SQ8xy1fNDpg_thumb_12689.jpg
3X4KCvO7SHaqX7yCStxX+w_thumb_12697.jpg
IMG_3560.JPG

So I think I got another You Suck deal a week or so ago. I was looking for a rolling tool box on Craigslist when I saw chainsaw in the heading. Description said Still chain saw $150. I look at the pics and I see a 201t. I call and tell the guy I'll be there after work and asked if he would hold it till then. He said he would do that and to call him when I left work. I get out of work and call John tell him I'm on my way. So I pull into the driveway and see a bunch of stuff all layed out. I introduce myself and reach for the saw. John taps my arm and points to the case and says not that one tou can have that one for parts. I open the case and pull out a pretty clean 201t with adjustable carb. It fires up and looks good so I put it away and pull out some cash. John goes on to tell me here's a pair of chaps that go with it along with a couple Stihl mini bars, some chains and the 201 tool kit. He says look around see what else you want? So I walked away with two saws, 5 C clamps, chaps, spud bar and ground tamper all for $160! Oh and after I put new AV's in the parts 192t and drained the bar oil from the fuel tank she runs. Put a var and chain on tonight and made some cuts. She is still blowing some smoke but I think she will be fine!
ebc98525fe27d2f1493916e4907daeaf.jpg
9df35f373a53cccb45a16df29d42d771.jpg
c0792b5f86fb863ed302d159f9764f00.jpg

So I think I got another You Suck deal a week or so ago. I was looking for a rolling tool box on Craigslist when I saw chainsaw in the heading. Description said Still chain saw $150. I look at the pics and I see a 201t. I call and tell the guy I'll be there after work and asked if he would hold it till then. He said he would do that and to call him when I left work. I get out of work and call John tell him I'm on my way. So I pull into the driveway and see a bunch of stuff all layed out. I introduce myself and reach for the saw. John taps my arm and points to the case and says not that one tou can have that one for parts. I open the case and pull out a pretty clean 201t with adjustable carb. It fires up and looks good so I put it away and pull out some cash. John goes on to tell me here's a pair of chaps that go with it along with a couple Stihl mini bars, some chains and the 201 tool kit. He says look around see what else you want? So I walked away with two saws, 5 C clamps, chaps, spud bar and ground tamper all for $160! Oh and after I put new AV's in the parts 192t and drained the bar oil from the fuel tank she runs. Put a var and chain on tonight and made some cuts. She is still blowing some smoke but I think she will be fine!
ebc98525fe27d2f1493916e4907daeaf.jpg
9df35f373a53cccb45a16df29d42d771.jpg
c0792b5f86fb863ed302d159f9764f00.jpg
Sweet deal!

No pics till late next week, but I was in a local saw shop picking up carb kits and I asked the counter guy about some issues with a 361 and a 346xp. He said he didn't know, "Head in back and talk to Matt! (the owner)" As I was chatting with him, I saw a flat-top Stihl. I could read Sti 04 Sup, so I asked what it was. He drug out a clean Stihl 045 AVE Super and mentioned it, with a lot of other saws, would be going on ebay soon. I asked how much the 045 would go for and was nearly floored when he said $100. I told him I'd be right back with $100 and within the hour it was riding on the back seat. It needs carb or fuel line work, but $100 for an 045 Super is a steal in my book. No pics as I'm heading up to Oregon and saw'll be in CA.

So, I'm new to this, but saws have since taken over a lot of my free time, not just
My saw, but my friends saws, Iv become Obsessed with sharpening, but my first saw was this lightly used ms660, that a friend sold me for 400 canadian, which depending on wind direction and season, will vary between 60-70cents American lol. I don't know if my friend knew what he sold me at the time, he said it was around - 70cc saw, and what he believed to be a "20 inch bar"..... well, as you all probably know, just by looking at it, it's highly doubtful that it could be mistaken for a 20" bar, and when in told him it was a 92cc saw, with a 28" bar, he was surprised, dunno if this qualifies as a "you suck" or not, but I'm eager to find out! Thanks for reading, go easy on me! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 51
I don't think I ever posted these on this thread, but I bought all 5 of these saws for $12 total.
picture.php

With just a little work, I got all of them running except the little Echo 315, which needs parts I have not yet ordered. I was only interested in the Jonsered, (not knowing the 306A was desirable) but the guy made a deal I couldn't pass up.

The saws are:
Jonsered 510SP
Poulan 306A
Echo 315
Echo 351VL
Echo CS-330EVL

And while this one isn't really something to brag about, I only paid $8 for it, and a primer bulb later, and this thing runs like a top.
picture.php
We were at an auction and my buddy wanted to get a little saw for his son. There was what looked like a brand new Homelite in case, no saw dust, no sign of ever being used. He asked if he should get it. I looked at it and told him to buy it. He got it for $30. Then asked what I saw that he missed, making me think it was a buy. I told him always check the fuel for two things, straight gas, and bar oil. Told him to dump the bar oil out of the gas tank, rinse and start over. His son is still using it. Good deal for $8.

Hey all. Not sure if I'm in the right place for this but I'm a new collector. Been cutting wood most of my life and one day decided hey why not collect saws. I put the word out to friends and family. Here is what I have so far...

Pioneer 620
Homelite XL-Auto
Homelite XL-76
Homelite XL-1
McCulloch PowerMac PM605AV-20
McCulloch D44
Poulan Pro

The XL-Auto and the XL-1 are now running. I have the XL-76 on the bench ready for reassembly. The Poulan was mine already so its running. The rest are waiting to be worked on.

20190614_200351.jpg 20190911_164646.jpg

Hey all. Not sure if I'm in the right place for this but I'm a new collector. Been cutting wood most of my life and one day decided hey why not collect saws. I put the word out to friends and family. Here is what I have so far...

Pioneer 620
Homelite XL-Auto
Homelite XL-76
Homelite XL-1
McCulloch D44
Poulan Pro

The XL-Auto and the XL-1 are now running. I have the XL-76 on the bench ready for reassembly. The Poulan was mine already so its running. The rest are waiting to be worked on.

View attachment 759135 View attachment 759137

2 strokes in the house! I absolutely love it, specially in the kitchen, nice touch! I once built a bike in my laundry room..... to disassemble it again to get it out of my laundry room..... and then rolled it out of my house through the living room and off the deck into my driveway

Still no pics of the 045 as it's scattered all over my workspace waiting for me to order new piston rings. But, I got a mostly complete 272 parts saw for $40, and my brother got 1 mostly complete 281, a 281 carcass, a bunch of 281 parts along with a few parts for a 65, a Homie C9 recoil, a 372 full wrap, and a runner alcohol-fueled 056 magnum II with a milled cylinder head for about $400.

Pioneer 620
Homelite XL-Auto
Homelite XL-76
Homelite XL-1
McCulloch D44
Poulan Pro

View attachment 759135 View attachment 759137
Welcome to the show. If those are all donations that is the definition of "You Suck". When guys ask where to find old saws, the first thing I tell them is let your friends know, they will start appearing. The XL12 series were made by the gazillions. I've had a bunch of them given to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back