"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this little top handle next to a dumpster on the way to my daughters soccer game.

Fuel line needed replaced, and the carb needs rebuilt, but I did get it to fire. I will put it on my long list of projects.

The bar is somewhat odd shaped at the end, I cant tell if it is just worn on the bottom side of the tip or if it's meant to be that way. The chain moves easily.
picture.php
It' called a banana tip bar. it's intended use is for reduced kick back.

I picked up this non running saw at a pawn shop for $50. I thought it had low compression but I pulled it again when I got home and pulled it again and it started right up and sounded good. Maybe the compression isn’t low or it needs rings. I’ll have to put a gauge on it and see. I don’t know if this classifies as a you suck deal.
f55661c66cbf1be7afe3404dd5548c6a.jpg
fb14fd13debca08019e2fe266f1f9cdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those ones look pretty good restored....

View attachment 759902

View attachment 759903
Got my David Bradley running today. Starts on the first pull, but it smokes like a freight train and makes a ton of noise. I tried cleaning the carb the other day and it still wouldn't run, today I found a pin hole I missed last time that was clogged and it started right up.

I was able to adjust the carb a little bit, it was running really rich, but the adjustment screws are in a horrible place with no way to get a screw driver or my fingers in there.

Got my David Bradley running today. Starts on the first pull, but it smokes like a freight train and makes a ton of noise. I tried cleaning the carb the other day and it still wouldn't run, today I found a pin hole I missed last time that was clogged and it started right up.

I was able to adjust the carb a little bit, it was running really rich, but the adjustment screws are in a horrible place with no way to get a screw driver or my fingers in there.
Might be an obvious question but did you check the gear oil in the gear drive? I got my Poulan Super 68 running the other day and it was quite loud with the gear case empty, kind of sounded like a race car with a gear drive instead of a timing chain. I didn't run it any more and picked up a bottle of 80W-90W gear oil. Gonna drain the case, if there is anything left, and refill with new oil.

Last year my cousin called and said he was at an auction and there was a big DB there, he misread the model number, and I looked it up as the 95CC AH58 engine. Turned out it was the smaller 77CC AH47 engine. I was still happy, think I paid $25 for it. When I was cleaning it up I found a crack in the gear drive cover, so it went on the back shelf. I plan on grinding a shallow v in the crack on the inside and filling it with JB weld. Then filling the crack on the outside with auto bondo and sanding smooth. I figured I'd do a full paint job on this as a trial run, never restored/painted a saw. I like them in as found condition, cosmetically.

Might be an obvious question but did you check the gear oil in the gear drive? I got my Poulan Super 68 running the other day and it was quite loud with the gear case empty, kind of sounded like a race car with a gear drive instead of a timing chain. I didn't run it any more and picked up a bottle of 80W-90W gear oil. Gonna drain the case, if there is anything left, and refill with new oil.

Last year my cousin called and said he was at an auction and there was a big DB there, he misread the model number, and I looked it up as the 95CC AH58 engine. Turned out it was the smaller 77CC AH47 engine. I was still happy, think I paid $25 for it. When I was cleaning it up I found a crack in the gear drive cover, so it went on the back shelf. I plan on grinding a shallow v in the crack on the inside and filling it with JB weld. Then filling the crack on the outside with auto bondo and sanding smooth. I figured I'd do a full paint job on this as a trial run, never restored/painted a saw. I like them in as found condition, cosmetically.
I did add oil to it, but I'm sure its low. Is there an easy way to check the level? Or to fill it quickly, I ok only saw one small port on top that said two drops daily or something like that.

Been quite a long time since I had anything to post in this thread, but today I picked up a 357xp for $120. Don't know what it needs yet but has good compression. Doesn't look like it has seen much use either.
View attachment 760430
View attachment 760431
Heck ya Chris that's a steal! I got the same deal on a 359 a few weeks back. How are things in the great white north?

Heck ya Chris that's a steal! I got the same deal on a 359 a few weeks back. How are things in the great white north?
Hi Dan!

Things are pretty good. Could be better health-wise for a couple family members but could be worse too, so counting blessings. I still watch the classifieds like a hawk but the deals have been scarce. Missed out on a super nice 254xp a few weeks ago that the seller wouldn't ship - that was a bit of a bummer lol. I see you are still getting some great deals down south!

How are things going with you?

I did add oil to it, but I'm sure its low. Is there an easy way to check the level? Or to fill it quickly, I ok only saw one small port on top that said two drops daily or something like that.
I'll go look at mine. The way I have it on the shelf the fill hole is to the wall. I think the Poulan Super 68 has a fill line at the level of the plug screw. sitting level you just fill it so it's not running out. I'm going to go look now, I think mine is different than yours.

Hi Dan!

Things are pretty good. Could be better health-wise for a couple family members but could be worse too, so counting blessings. I still watch the classifieds like a hawk but the deals have been scarce. Missed out on a super nice 254xp a few weeks ago that the seller wouldn't ship - that was a bit of a bummer lol. I see you are still getting some great deals down south!

How are things going with you?
Pretty good Chris! Working way too many hours though! I have come across a few good deals this year! Probably more than I shared on here! Still haven't had time to get the 281 back together. Should put a parts order in as I did sell of some parts that I was going to replace. Mainly a fuel tank!

I just pulled mine off the shelf and it's like yours. Mine has no spark and the crack in the gear drive cover. I guess it's the Super 68 that says fill to the level of the hole. It actually has a bung plug in it. Mine is a 91760016 and it has in orange 5G21 gear drive.
The DB just has the drip hole on top.20190918_142713.jpg 20190918_142637.jpg

I just pulled mine off the shelf and it's like yours. Mine has no spark and the crack in the gear drive cover. I guess it's the Super 68 that says fill to the level of the hole. It actually has a bung plug in it
The DB just has the drip hole on top.View attachment 760446 View attachment 760447
Yep, that's exactly like mine. No idea how to check the level, or how much it actually needs. I will look into it a little more when I get home.

They don't have oil filled gear cases. The drive gear on the clutch is steel, the reducer gear is a phenolic material. All you have to do is add a couple drops of gear oil through the top cap every day before using it.

The David Bradley is the only saw I have like that. All my other gear drives have oil filled gear cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back