"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno how you guys get all your great saws for next to nothing. Lot to learn I guess. I got non running 028 for $90 shipped the other day. Got the guy to throw in bar and chain. Not here yet but looked pretty good. I think I’ll be happy with that but dang. I gotta find those even better deals.

I dunno how you guys get all your great saws for next to nothing.
Dealers. #1 spot for scrounging. Ask for "parts units" "project saws" "abandoned saws" or "junk they're tripping over".
Yard sales. Even if there's not a saw out for sale. Ask.
Classified sites and apps.
Once people start to know you as the "saw guy" you'll get a lot of stuff sent your way.

That’s great advice. Thank you. I been thinking bout hitting up my local saw dealer but their kinda full of themselves. Only been there a couple time for small stuff hardly seemed interested in making a small sale. Although they were pretty happy to sell me $17 tube of dirko. I might check em out on the salvage side of things.

That’s great advice. Thank you. I been thinking bout hitting up my local saw dealer but their kinda full of themselves. Only been there a couple time for small stuff hardly seemed interested in making a small sale. Although they were pretty happy to sell me $17 tube of dirko. I might check em out on the salvage side of things.
You will find good and bad dealers in all flavors, but in this area the cream and orange guys are the ones most likely to smell their own farts.

Lol probably here too. No husky shop around either. Probably why they act the way they do. Maybe they drop some redemption deals my way when I get done with this one n go look for another. I’d like to get a couple bigger saws to build.

I dunno how you guys get all your great saws for next to nothing. Lot to learn I guess. I got non running 028 for $90 shipped the other day. Got the guy to throw in bar and chain. Not here yet but looked pretty good. I think I’ll be happy with that but dang. I gotta find those even better deals.
I get almost all of my saws from estate sales and farm auctions. If I see an auction listed on line I don't even search for saws. The guys that do farm auctions don't even take pics or list them. Most sell for under $20. I got 3 for $22.50 last week. One was a 95CC David Bradley with a Power Products engine. The other two are big Lombards, but I left them in WV so I wont know what they are till I get them home.

As Cuin said, tell all your friends you are collecting chainsaws. DON'T MAKE OFFERS. You will be too high. I bet I have had at least 10-12 Homelite XL12's given to me by friends, all of their grand fathers had one. I told one of my UPS buddies to keep his eyes open. Next day he gave me a running XL924 and a seized up XL12. He was delivering to the Beltsville Ag Center and they were just getting ready to throw them in the dumpster.

Last winter I got bored and asked for some of the zip codes of guys around the country and was really surprised how regional chainsaws are. Some of the guys up north had ZERO farm actions listed in the whole state till after March. I was spending 2-3 hours Sunday evening looking at the sales within a 30 mile radius of my house and my property in WV.

Oh, my neighbor in WV saw the 3 saws I got last week and said he had two old 70's Poulans I could have, and he gave me a big Hewing Ax that belonged to his BIL that passed away last year at age 65.

Once they quit running nobody wants them. Last tip. My hunting buddy and I were at a farm auction. There was what looked like a brand new Homelite in a case. No signs it ever ran, no saw dust, nothing. I don't mess with new saws, but he was looking for something for his son, so I looked at it. Came back and whispered in his ear, Buy It. He asked what I saw that he missed that made it a buy it now deal. Told him I'd tell him after he bought it. He got it for $35. I asked if he checked the gas and oil. He said yes. I asked what he saw in the gas and oil. He said gas and oil. I said I saw fresh gas mix in the oil tank, and new bar oil in the gas tank. Smoked for a while after he rinsed the tanks out, but still runs good for his son. I've found several saws with the gas and oil in the wrong tanks.

Dealers, craigslist, word of mouth, craigslist, did I mention craigslist? Always scan craigslist, be willing to get a few saws in a lot you might not want to get a few you do, and be willing to make "meh" buys to get your foot in the door. Also, be observant. One time I was asking my future boss carb-related questions and followed him into the "shop" part of the saw shop and walked out with a near mint 045 Super for $100. I noticed it hiding in the boneyard and asked what was wrong with it. "I don't recall. That and some of the other boneyard stuff will be put up on Ebay soon though." "How much would you list it for?" "Around $100" "SOLD!" I'm still slowly buying out his 2-series husky and 1128 series stihl parts, but @rupedoggy's brother has picked out most of the good Husky parts already.

Yea I’m always watching CL but so far never see saw bundles. Just a bunch of $45 wild things. And similar junk. I think I just live in a area saturated with city slicker saws. Gonna check the stihl dealer next.

Yea I’m always watching CL but so far never see saw bundles. Just a bunch of $45 wild things. And similar junk. I think I just live in a area saturated with city slicker saws. Gonna check the stihl dealer next.
Be patient. We live in a society incapable of saving, and un-willing to wait. If you fall into that crowd go get you a POS China saw. Otherwise keep your eyes peeled, soon you'll be passing project saws along or trading for models you haven't worked on because you have too many.

This is the cub i spoke of in a earlier post , supposedly it was restored 20 some odd years ago and then set for another 10 unused so carb needs to be rebuilt and it has some starter troubles so I need to source some gaskets and parts if anybody has a good source or knowledge of these things

Attachments

• 1207191736.jpg
    1207191736.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 1207191736a.jpg
    1207191736a.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 1207191736_HDR.jpg
    1207191736_HDR.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1207191736c.jpg
    1207191736c.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 1207191738b_HDR.jpg
    1207191738b_HDR.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 24
This is the cub i spoke of in a earlier post , supposedly it was restored 20 some odd years ago and then set for another 10 unused so carb needs to be rebuilt and it has some starter troubles so I need to source some gaskets and parts if anybody has a good source or knowledge of these things

Nice looking tractor. The sickle bar mower’s are handy too.

Steiner tractor parts has a lot of IH stuff but they aren’t cheap although they’ll probably have US made carb rebuild kits. I think you’ll find carb rebuild kits on amazon and eBay also. I think there is a website that is all about Farmall cubs. It’s much like this site so you’ll probably have no trouble finding answers to everything there.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this counts or not.

I picked up a Jonsered 2077 for A$50 (US$32). It turns out it has been straight gassed but i was expecting that or something similar from the pull test.

20191208_165653.jpg

The other thing was chucked in, incomplete, i think its a chinese knockoff.

20191208_180614.jpg

It also needs both top AV mounts, hopefully they are available.

What sized star driver do i need for the cylinder bolts?

So this is what I got on my 028 looks semi promising. Everything OEM. I don’t know if it qualifies for total suckage. But feels worthy. Needed only a intake boot.

Attachments

• FCBCB19E-CDEA-4C5A-B68F-41A33B487EB6.jpeg
    FCBCB19E-CDEA-4C5A-B68F-41A33B487EB6.jpeg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 24C3041F-FE9B-4FD7-B4C7-48E29AC2FACA.jpeg
    24C3041F-FE9B-4FD7-B4C7-48E29AC2FACA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • F51D7467-D6B8-4B26-BEFE-CFA3396279AE.jpeg
    F51D7467-D6B8-4B26-BEFE-CFA3396279AE.jpeg
    860.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 8E5304F7-08BD-4813-AFF8-EE4B53ACBA15.jpeg
    8E5304F7-08BD-4813-AFF8-EE4B53ACBA15.jpeg