"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to my grandpas today to drop a big dead maple that he said had been struck by lightning.

20191109_161558.jpg I jumped at the chance to cut it down to play with my MS461.

Anyway, on the way there, passed a house with their trash out at the curb. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the familiar glow of orange and white. I whipped the truck around and had my son jump out and grab it before all the neighbors looked at the weirdo dumpster diving.

This is what I got. An FS45.
20191109_180640.jpg I pulled the cord and it pulled HARD. I thought the motor seized up. But figured it would be more practice for me on repairing small engines.

First thing I did was pulled the muffler. Expecting the worst, I was shocked to see it was perfect inside. Not a hint of scoring.

Turned the flywheel by hand, and it cranked over easier. There is a small plug on the muffler where the spark arrestor is. I removed the plug, put it back together and verified spark.

Put some fuel in it, and primed it. The bulb filled right up.

Sprayed a little blast of starter fluid in the carb, and she purred like a kitten for a few minutes. Shes a runner, but I know she needs her carb cleaned. I will do that tomorrow and see how she runs.

This thing looks brand new. I'm betting it was used one season, sat with gas in it, and gummed up the carb, so to the trash it went.

$30, Homelite Super EZ Automatic. I think it’s a 1974 model. The guy I bought from said it might need a spark plug. He hadn’t tried to run it. Was his dads or grandfathers, don’t remember. Took it home, pulled the plug and it wasn’t too bad but I replaced it, checked and made sure it had spark. Put fresh fuel and oil in and first three or four pulls, nothing. Put a little two stroke mix in the cylinder and she fired off second pull. Now she starts on first pull every time. Needs cleaned up a bit and a new chain but I’m in love with this saw. Did some limbing on the willow that went down in our back yard and it did real well.

f2fd31ce64835d97057b65dab535a397.jpg
821eb3a53b283906317255fa3c32ad16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great saw , not very big cc , but has a big saw attitude!

Also would this suck? I know nothing about them but my neighbor has a 1949 farmall cub restored with plow and grader for $1,000 , would it be worth picking up ? I dont live on a farm nor do i farm anything , but i could use it to pull large trailer loads of wood out the fields ( pic is of a cub but not the exact cub , but looks identical

The old Farmalls are great tractors. Easy to work on and will run forever. Never used a Cub model but we had a model H when I lived at home and the first house I rented the owner had a model A which I used when helping him around the farm. The model A is a little bigger than the Cub.
For $1000 in restored condition, it’s a excellent price. I think they’re around 11 PTO horsepower but the way they’re geared, you’ll be surprised what it can do. I think hydraulics was a factory option and if it had them, they’d be one way and not live. They’ll plow snow fine unless it’s a large accumulation, then they just don’t have enough weight in the front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the muffler screen on that trimmer, they like to clog.

Yeah, I pulled the screen and it wasnt too bad, but not great. It still didnt want to run right.

The pumpnside diaphram was curling up. Instead of rebuilding the carb, I decided to buy a cheapy off of amazon.

Put it on just a second ago and it fired on the second pull and runs great.

Cant beat it for the $14 invested. Now I can get two kids weed eating at the same time.

Traded this unlimited coil 3120 off back in late 2010 when I got out of racing. Bought it back this week. :cool: About 5 tanks on new oem top. :cheers:

Like seeing a old friend again and boy she was loud starting it up in the metal pole barn. :eek:

View attachment 699558 View attachment 699559 View attachment 699560 View attachment 699561 View attachment 699562
Sold my 3120 same model . Wished i never. Having seen it in the back of the fellas ute i can understand how you feel . my shed just feels that little less complete now.
And man do them old 3120s with the grey choke lever sign on ! Love the saw nice one .
Here she is and she once was mine...

Attachments

• 20190714_151218.jpg
    20190714_151218.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back