"You Suck" Thread 2020"--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynodave

equal opportunity gearhead
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Happy New Year to the AS crew. Time for a new "you suck" thread rev. 2020
Mods please close out 2019, 886 posts..... 76661 views 23K more than 2018 wow!
Keep watching for yard sales, repair shops DNF(do not fix)piles, craigs lists and... most disliked ebay, for those all important great deals..
Almost as important is personal referrals by friends to staches of good or bad new and old saws.

Not much new here, still trying to keep as many of my now 64 chainsaws going.
Thanks

Happy New Year to the AS crew. Time for a new "you suck" thread rev. 2020
Mods please close out 2019, 886 posts..... 76661 views 23K more than 2018 wow!
Keep watching for yard sales, repair shops DNF(do not fix)piles, craigs lists and... most disliked ebay, for those all important great deals..
Almost as important is personal referrals by friends to staches of good or bad new and old saws.

Not much new here, still trying to keep as many of my now 64 chainsaws going.
Thanks

BUMP
Do any others feel we need a "you suck" thread to document those outrageous deals/scores??
Kind of like your cup of coffee in the morning...

I think in order for it to be a "You Suck", the price paid needs to be mentioned. Anybody can over pay for saws, but I don't think just getting a saw, especially if paying more than it's worth makes it deserving of suckage.

You must have patience, grasshopper. I used to read this and think all y’all had all the luck. Then I was given a nearly brand new Ms250 that needed a fuel line and carb and I picked up two MS361’s that needed fuel lines, carb work, and an av bit or two for $75. And then my good fortune just kept on coming. P.S. What defines serious?

I think in order for it to be a "You Suck", the price paid needs to be mentioned. Anybody can over pay for saws, but I don't think just getting a saw, especially if paying more than it's worth makes it deserving of suckage.
You will rarely see me put a price paid. Some stuff I repair and sell here. People expect you to hunt out the deals and repair them for $8 an hour. Rest assured if I share it it's worthy though;).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a near you suck moment. My dad saw a friend who’s a logger and told the guy that me and my brother were into old saws and liked to collect them. Now for the painful part, the guy said that her just got rid of a bunch of old saws to (I think) his son or brother in laws son who’ll probably never do anything with them. :cry:

62966360-30BD-4174-AC8C-98E9837929E3.jpeg Went to grab an old poulan Dad had in the shop forever and came home with almost all his saws! He bought the two stihls brand new back in the day. The only saws he ever used. I used the mcculloch many times in high school. Thought the poulan was a 3700 had a toasted p&c, but it is a 4000 in excellent shape! All free being dad as he knows where to go to get one. All run, just need some cleanin’. 045ave, 031av, 4000 countervibe, micro xxv, pm610

Awesome score but we need pictures of the saws you built from these piles.

Didn't want to get ya'll riled up with pics of the saws that came out of these piles but you asked for it so here ya' go....

IMG_3063.jpg
To be fair the 044 Arctic was about 70% complete from another couple of finds. These last loads gave me the last of the missing pieces.
IMG_3085.jpg
Jonsered 525, Husqvarna 262XP, Stihl 034AV, Jonsered 450, Pioneer-Partner 5000 Plus, Husqvarna 357XP, Husqvarna 266XP
IMG_3086.jpg
Just need top covers to complete the Stihl 036 Pro and Jonsered 670 Super

Forgot to mention that a box of Honda MiniTrail 70 parts came with the last load and I sold it for $50 which more than paid for the diesel fuel in my truck to go get this stuff.

You will rarely see me put a price paid. Some stuff I repair and sell here. People expect you to hunt out the deals and repair them for $8 an hour. Rest assured if I share it it's worthy though;).
I understand your point. I usually put what I paid, but I look for old rare stuff. I posted pic of a Pioneer 700D, 107CC's. I got it at the scrap yard for $12.50. Posted a pic and a member offered me $125 plus shipping. I thought that was fair and was happy. Picked up a Homelite 7-29 at an auction for $60, a member offered me $800 plus shipping. Now I actively look for saws for that member. If someone low balls me I just say no thanks. Guys ask me how I find all the deals I do find, and I share my tactics with them. It's not rocket science, I get off my butt and go look for them. I've posted pics of big Homelites that I picked up for $5 each. What I might have left out is I walked around a farm for 10 hours in the rain waiting for those saws to go on the block. If I din't consider auctions as a form of entertainment, I probably wouldn't consider standing in the rain for 10 hours to spend $5 a bargain, but I do enjoy it.

I understand your point. I usually put what I paid, but I look for old rare stuff. I posted pic of a Pioneer 700D, 107CC's. I got it at the scrap yard for $12.50. Posted a pic and a member offered me $125 plus shipping. I thought that was fair and was happy. Picked up a Homelite 7-29 at an auction for $60, a member offered me $800 plus shipping. Now I actively look for saws for that member. If someone low balls me I just say no thanks. Guys ask me how I find all the deals I do find, and I share my tactics with them. It's not rocket science, I get off my butt and go look for them. I've posted pics of big Homelites that I picked up for $5 each. What I might have left out is I walked around a farm for 10 hours in the rain waiting for those saws to go on the block. If I din't consider auctions as a form of entertainment, I probably wouldn't consider standing in the rain for 10 hours to spend $5 a bargain, but I do enjoy it.
The collector crowd must be different than the work saw crowd:laugh:. I enjoy the hunt very much too but I just don't have the spare time to be able to justify the hobby without some sort of return on my time investment. If I paid closer attention I'd probably learn that I'd still be better off financially just coming to work but I don't have a wood stove and a nice craft beer in this shop.

My you suck for the day is like an old senile joke. You can buy yourself a present in July, and enjoy it all over again in December. I built an Echo only shelf, which got me thinking, and talking about Echos. Then I remembered the Rubber Maid tub in the garage. When my buddy retired last year he gave me two little climbing saws. A CS 300 and a CS 345. Now my new Echo shelf is too small.20200108_101326.jpg

Well, went to my honey hole auction yesterday and they only had one junk electric saw. They did have a beautiful Kelly Perfect double bit ax that I wanted bad. I figured with the crowd there I'd get it for $10. Told my cousin I might go $15-$20 it was so nice. Then this guy walks up and I go oh ratz. He has out bid me on every ax that we have bid against each other. Bidding started at $5, I went to $40, and he got it for $45.My cousins says, Are you nuts, you went double your max". He won't go 50 cents over his max, no matter how much he likes the item. I said, " I don't even know what I bid, I was just driving it up on that guy. I can't stand him, he gets every ax I want". As we were leaving the guy waved at me. The ax was in a wooden nail keg with some other junk in it. He asked what I was bidding on, if it wasn't the ax he was going to give it to me. We got to talking and he said last summer he bought a collection of axes from a guy on the Eastern Shore of MD for $10,000, 1200 axes. Turned out to be a decent guy. In another building I almost fell over laughing. In one isle were several boxes of old old hard core **** mags. Guys would pick em up and look, gals would blush and walk away. So, we are a few isles down looking at two heavy duty draw bars for a class 4 hitch. They guy next to us is rooting through a heavy black canvas back pack. The zippers were rusted and wouldn't move, so his hand would just squeeze in. He pulls out another old **** mag, laughs, and stuffs it back in. He keeps rooting around and pulls out a 3 headed soft rubber "Willy", he cussed and started spitting on his hand, wiping it on his pants. It's not uncommon to find sex toys in house hold boxes, but the way he jumped, cussed, and threw it down, I thought he grabbed a live rat. Oh Well, better luck next sale.

Read more: http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/8095/good-ideas-on-deals?page=4#ixzz6B6UbYwCp

Well, went to my honey hole auction yesterday and they only had one junk electric saw. They did have a beautiful Kelly Perfect double bit ax that I wanted bad. I figured with the crowd there I'd get it for $10. Told my cousin I might go $15-$20 it was so nice. Then this guy walks up and I go oh ratz. He has out bid me on every ax that we have bid against each other. Bidding started at $5, I went to $40, and he got it for $45.My cousins says, Are you nuts, you went double your max". He won't go 50 cents over his max, no matter how much he likes the item. I said, " I don't even know what I bid, I was just driving it up on that guy. I can't stand him, he gets every ax I want". As we were leaving the guy waved at me. The ax was in a wooden nail keg with some other junk in it. He asked what I was bidding on, if it wasn't the ax he was going to give it to me. We got to talking and he said last summer he bought a collection of axes from a guy on the Eastern Shore of MD for $10,000, 1200 axes. Turned out to be a decent guy. In another building I almost fell over laughing. In one isle were several boxes of old old hard core **** mags. Guys would pick em up and look, gals would blush and walk away. So, we are a few isles down looking at two heavy duty draw bars for a class 4 hitch. They guy next to us is rooting through a heavy black canvas back pack. The zippers were rusted and wouldn't move, so his hand would just squeeze in. He pulls out another old **** mag, laughs, and stuffs it back in. He keeps rooting around and pulls out a 3 headed soft rubber "Willy", he cussed and started spitting on his hand, wiping it on his pants. It's not uncommon to find sex toys in house hold boxes, but the way he jumped, cussed, and threw it down, I thought he grabbed a live rat. Oh Well, better luck next sale.

Read more: http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/8095/good-ideas-on-deals?page=4#ixzz6B6UbYwCp

My dad had nearly the same incident you describe. He bought a box of electrical connections at a yard sale, and wrapped in paper was a long black squishy thing he thought was going to be some plumbers tape or putty or whatever. Turned out it was a double headed deal. I wish I could have seen the look on this face when that plopped into his hand.

I don't know if this counts as a 2020 suck, I got it as a box of parts in 2019 but built it in 2020. I got it from my local saw shop for $200 with a brand new piston, but it needed a spacer for the cylinder. After making one from some gasket material and buying a $14 throttle linkage I got it to run. I put my own special touch on it too. You get bonus points if you can spot it.IMG_4820.jpg IMG_4821.jpg

Back