Young Alder/closed in: Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greener

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am just beginning my tree work and have much to learn so bear with me.

I have an alder, which is only about 12 inches in diameter but is closed in by a fence on one side (within 4 feet or so) and a patio with light poles on the other. It can only fall one way in a drop zone that is about 10 feet wide. It is decayed and has lost bark. Should I risk climbing it to tie off a rope to attach to a block? There are no real branches on it. Would a throw line work to install a rope? Should I just do a good face cut and use a wedge and call it good? Any ideas are appreciated.

Sounds like a small tree, kind of hard to advise with no pics. Tree has decay already, so the holding wood may be bad. Maybe cut it and push it over with a pike pole.

Sounds like a small tree, kind of hard to advise with no pics. Tree has decay already, so the holding wood may be bad. Maybe cut it and push it over with a pike pole.

That was kind of my thinking, except a push rather than a block is a great idea. As long as I get the face cut the right direction.

Latest posts

Back