Young Autumn Purple Ash is getting eaten - but by what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbztreez

Reaction score
We planted an Autumn Purple Ash last fall and it seems to be thriving - except something has started to chomp on its leaves. As this is our only deciduous tree, here in the high desert of Santa Fe, I am unfamiliar with leaf-eating pests here. Any ideas?

Nice trees!There are a few in our area.Where did you buy the tree?A good nursery would know.How about your local dept of ag.?Sometimes various other pathogens besides insects can have the appearance of chewed leaves. Look closely around and under the leaves for insects/pests.Maybe try again after dark.Take a picture.If the damage is minimal it may be of no importance to the health of the tree.If it's bordering on unsightly then an ID of the insect,assuming that's what it is,will determine a course of action.

Nice trees!There are a few in our area.Where did you buy the tree?A good nursery would know.How about your local dept of ag.?Sometimes various other pathogens besides insects can have the appearance of chewed leaves. Look closely around and under the leaves for insects/pests.Maybe try again after dark.Take a picture.If the damage is minimal it may be of no importance to the health of the tree.If it's bordering on unsightly then an ID of the insect,assuming that's what it is,will determine a course of action.

Purchased at local nursery (Santa Fe Greenhouses aka High Country Gardens) - very reputable. I'll follow your suggestion and take in a few leaf specimens. It's not unsightly yet, but I do worry on behalf of my young tree.

One more thought.If you have other trees,native or otherwise in close proximity to the ash.I'ts possible the others may have spread the problem to your tree.

One more thought.If you have other trees,native or otherwise in close proximity to the ash.I'ts possible the others may have spread the problem to your tree.

The only trees nearby are pinon and juniper. There are aspens on the opposite side of the house. SF Greenhouses thought it might be a caterpillar but I have to go out at night to find them.

Oh, that's good info. At least it's not all bad news - I'll look for the little critters tonight and let you know if I find anything. We had a long, cold, late, hard spring so they may still be active. Thanks!

Back