young oak and maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently dug up and moved a not so small maple (about 1 1/2 - 2 inch dia.) and a smaller oak (1 inch dia.). Any tips on helping them survive this move would be appreciated. Since the roots are shorter now I have been watering every evening but do not want to overdue it. I live in lower Michigan. Thanks

Both sugar maple and oak regenerate in the shade to varying extents. At this point, it is important to not overwater, as you said, but they should also have some shade. The roots are wounded and if the trees are in direct sunlight, the transpiration rate will exceed the uptake rate, and they may croak. They may be too tall to effectively shade, but maybe you could park a tall vehicle beside them on really hot days (I'm grasping for mechanisms here) or you could build a shade structure. I may be all wet too, but right now is the time of year that the tree's tops are actively growing, placing many demands on the roots. If the tree makes it to October, you'll have it made.

Latest posts

Back