Young Pin Oak Damaged by Ice Storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Split Oak

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Pin Oak I planted in my backyard in 1992. In Jan. 09 we had a snow and ice storm that snapped this tree nearly in half. I trimmed off all but approximately 6 inches of the exposed trunk and smoothed the edges of the bordering bark. (I didn't want to cut the trunk flat at the top.) It's been over a year and seven months and the tree is looking pretty good. It's sprouting new growth around the damaged area. Should I hope for this tree to grow into a normal appearing Oak? I've attached pics of the tree from after the storm and its current growth. Thanks for any comments or advice.

Frank

Last edited:
What has essentially happened is that your Pin Oak has been topped by Nature, more or less. Hopefully the next major branch, below where the trunk was trimmed, will fork upward and become the new leader, continuing that Pin Oak's height growth. Unfortunately, that new growth will be quite weak for a few years, so the tree will more easily succumb to another ice/snow/wind storm until it has had the chance to grow a few more years.

The Pin Oak came back rapidly because all the roots were still in place to send new shoots out from the trunk, the drawback is that those new shoots are brittle by comparison (simply because the new growth is much smaller in diameter) to what was originally there before that storm topped your tree. Since the tree still looks fairly attractive as a yard specimen, I'd leave it be for now and keep your fingers crossed that another storm doesn't punish that tree. If it breaks again, I'd seriously consider turning that Pin Oak into firewood.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris,

The tree has actually sprouted 4 or 5 branches straight up - more or less. A friend suggested that I chose the best looking branch and remove the others, or the tree could end up imbalanced at that weak area.

The funny thing is, in my pics your looking west. The tree would seem to be protected from wind by the taller trees in the background. Also there are taller trees in the neighbors yards to the north and south. I suppose the leaves provided extra surface for the ice and snow to latch onto, and the wind did the rest.

I'll give it some time. But I was hoping, by the time I retired, this tree would be giving me some late afternoon shade, and some squirrels to make friends with.

Pretty much what Chris said... and

I would look carefully at the new sprouts, and decide which one or two or three to keep based on the direction they are growing and how they are attached to the trunk. If this is the first season of them growing I'd tend to leave them be for now, and look to trim out the unwanted ones next year.

Something to think about, if those new shoots are really long, you might want to cut them back a bit, always keeping in mind which direction they will then grow off into from the nearest node or bud you cut to. Reducing the length now will help them toughen up and reduce the leverage from wind, snow and ice that may well break them later.

As to timing, I live in the tropics, so let a temperate person tell you when is best to do this...we can do it almost any time!

Thanks Bernie, I'll keep an eye on the sprouts. I'd be interested to know if I should trim them this fall, or wait until spring.

Meadow Beaver, you can look at that tree and see where you've been. That's great that your father planted it when he did.

Thanks Bernie, I'll keep an eye on the sprouts. I'd be interested to know if I should trim them this fall, or wait until spring.

Meadow Beaver, you can look at that tree and see where you've been. That's great that your father planted it when he did.

Yeah, it sure is growning faster then I am.

Thanks Chris,

The tree has actually sprouted 4 or 5 branches straight up - more or less. A friend suggested that I chose the best looking branch and remove the others, or the tree could end up imbalanced at that weak area.
Bermie and your friend are right--choose the best leader and reduce or remove the others.

A closeup pic when (if?) leaves fall would be good.

fall pruning produces less sprouting than spring pruning.

Thanks treeseer. I was just thinking of taking a pic of the damaged are earlier tonight. This tree holds it's leaves a long time. But once they dry up, I should be able to get a decent shot. Stayed tuned.

Whats amazing that a relatively strong healthy young tree failed from ice weight when it is surrounded by many long leggy "woods" trees that from your pics look unscaved from the ice .. Maybe something was already in place for the failure the ice just sped it up a little ..

Latest posts

Back