Young Red Maple needs help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joliza

Reaction score
I have a young Red Maple 2-2 1/2 inch diameter trunk, that I put a gator bag on earlier this spring when we had a warm spell. I had noticed some small splits in the bark and had my husband take the gator bag off. There are large splits where the gator bag was and I see small yellowish bugs. Is there hope for my little tree?View attachment 238353View attachment 238354

The bugs are really teeny tiny like a mite. After removing the gator bag the area inside the split looked wet. Should I spray something for the bugs? Any bugs?

Last edited:
Those S curves are interesting, dont really look like a crack. Got a pic of the bug. Is the bark loose at the crack? Did the gator bag keep the trunk moist? Are you sure that was not there when you bought the tree? Really need pics of the bug.

Perhaps you should contact your local extension service. The "cracks" do not appear to be a typical tree injury, they look more like cracks that are presenting themselves because of some type of infestation ( insect or fungus) that is under the bark.

Tree to deep

Del hit the issue right on the head--tree to deep and I think the tree is reacting to this with dieback of the bark and perhaps roots for being to deep-------------We need to start a Plant on the surface movement, no holes needed I hate digging holes-
Bare root placed on top of the ground- cover roots with with good potting soil, mulch it, stake it for a year or two and by gosh you have nice healthy tree-happens all the time in mother nature

Del hit the issue right on the head--tree to deep and I think the tree is reacting to this with dieback of the bark and perhaps roots for being to deep-------------We need to start a Plant on the surface movement, no holes needed I hate digging holes-
Bare root placed on top of the ground- cover roots with with good potting soil, mulch it, stake it for a year or two and by gosh you have nice healthy tree-happens all the time in mother nature

I didn't know mother nature was a shlock landscaper because that's the only time I see that. I agree with not planting too deep but taking a tree that has been balled, sitting it on the ground and making a volcano of soil around it is no way to do it either. It's not going to develop a normal root system.

Thanks for all your posts.

#1 Tree is not planted too deep. You're seeing the mulch that has now been pulled back. Top of root ball is visible.
#2 Tree had been overwatered by loving husband...too vigilant filling gator bag, cracks happen
#3 Insects invaded cracks covered by gator bag which allowed area to stay moist and crack to widen
#4 Tree has been treated with Bayer tree and shrub
#5 Tree has been treated topically with insecticide spray
#6 Cracks are dry and insect free
#7 Considering wrapping cracks to allow tree to heal....suggestions on this idea?

THANKING ALL TREE ENTHUSIASTS AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Once the tree (wound) has compartmentalized the wounded area, and that appears to be the case,there is no benefit to any type of wrapping or Tree Wound Dressing, (and our company manufactures Tree Wound Dressing!) it would probably do more harm than good.

#1 Tree is not planted too deep. You're seeing the mulch that has now been pulled back. Top of root ball is visible.
YES but are the primary buttress roots visible?

#4 Tree has been treated with Bayer tree and shrub
#5 Tree has been treated topically with insecticide spray
why?

#6 Cracks are dry and insect free
how do you know? have you looked inside?

#7 Considering wrapping cracks to allow tree to heal....suggestions on this idea?
better to carefully pull off dead bark and see what is inside. Calling an arborist for all your tree needs is another option...

Attention all zebra hunters

That's the dreaded skidsteer bucket bruise.

The landscaper or nursery let the tree rock backwards and bang against the bucket when they were moving it off the delivery truck...more than once.

Let it compartmentalize on its own...10 years from now it will just be a memory.

That's the dreaded skidsteer bucket bruise.

The landscaper or nursery let the tree rock backwards and bang against the bucket when they were moving it off the delivery truck...more than once.

Let it compartmentalize on its own...10 years from now it will just be a memory.

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner! Nursery bruising it is.

Stop with the chemical attack!

If it's not planted too deep why does it look like a power pole?

Back