Your Biggest F@#k Up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can be anything saw related.
Some of mine:
(recently) Getting a 25 inch bar stuck while bucking windthrow, very embarrassing.
Sharpening a 98 driver chain and screwing both sides of it on a stone on my first cut.
Bore cutting through my hinge and bending my 16 inch bar as the tree fell (was an amateur of 2 weeks at the time)
Getting an 084 stuck in a 6 inch branch above head height. (again, was an amateur)

Can be anything saw related.
Some of mine:
(recently) Getting a 25 inch bar stuck while bucking windthrow, very embarrassing.
Sharpening a 98 driver chain and screwing both sides of it on a stone on my first cut.
Bore cutting through my hinge and bending my 16 inch bar as the tree fell (was an amateur of 2 weeks at the time)
Getting an 084 stuck in a 6 inch branch above head height. (again, was an amateur)
Never got cut did you? I wouldn't complain. The 084 thing keps jumping out at me though! Cutting overhead with that big saw is stupid you are lucky it got stuck.

Burned up my very new 461 by running it at half throttle. My theory was less fuel and air going in = less RPM = longer lasting motor plus less fuel used. What nobody told me, or nobody knew, and what me and my small engine guy figured out at the autopsy, is half throttle under load causes the clutch to slip. This caused friction, heated the clutch shoes, heat traveled down the crankshaft and heated the crank-side bearing and weakened or melted the nylon bearing cage. The bearing failed, caused a wobble in the Piston and the bottom of the Piston skirt fragmented.

****up #2 was being over optimistic with my polesaw, holding the motor end at head hight and pinched the bar solid. Shaft was at full extension. Nobody around to help. I realised if I let go, the motor end would fall and bend the shaft. Took off my belt with one hand, trying to fashion a cradle for it from a nearby branch but it didn't work out....in the end, I pushed toward the head - collapsed the saw as much as possible - and let go. The bar flexed horribly, bat the shaft was safe. Went for a hand winch and freed the saw. The bar actually sprang back true, no sign of deformation!

Well, my wife and I was splitting a bunch of white ash a couple of years ago. We were in a church parking lot (was on the church’s property and they said I could have all the wood) from 9am until dusk. We were both getting tired and I tend to get slap happy when I’m exhausted. Had the splitter set up for vertical splitting some big rounds and wife was operating the lever for me. For some reason I got it in my head that I’ll play a joke on her. She was to my right operating the cylinder lever so she couldn’t see my left hand. When got a piece of wood in place, I nodded for her to push down and as soon as the wedge hit the wood, I jumped up and yelled “my thumb!!!!! like I was in the most excruciating ever! She started freaking out and I fell down laughing so hard I was crying. She said “God hates you right now” and went and sat in the truck.
Well...I lost my help for the rest of the evening and she was not happy AT ALL.

The next day she did come with me believe it or not. Was splitting some smaller pieces horizontally and I was splitting about a 12” round piece. All of a sudden “BAM”, the piece of wood popped apart and hit my darn left thigh so hard that I fell down. Guess I deserved that. My leg was swollen for a few weeks after that.
No more pranks on my wife while cutting and splitting wood :chop:

Installed a clutch on A 455 Rancher with an impact gun instead of a breaker bar because I was in a hurry. Snapped the crank off. The one and only time I used a drill instead of a breaker bar and it bit me bad. The good news? That happened a long time ago and I have never ever used anything but a breaker bar to remove and install a clutch.

Burned up my very new 461 by running it at half throttle. My theory was less fuel and air going in = less RPM = longer lasting motor plus less fuel used. What nobody told me, or nobody knew, and what me and my small engine guy figured out at the autopsy, is half throttle under load causes the clutch to slip. This caused friction, heated the clutch shoes, heat traveled down the crankshaft and heated the crank-side bearing and weakened or melted the nylon bearing cage. The bearing failed, caused a wobble in the Piston and the bottom of the Piston skirt fragmented.

****up #2 was being over optimistic with my polesaw, holding the motor end at head hight and pinched the bar solid. Shaft was at full extension. Nobody around to help. I realised if I let go, the motor end would fall and bend the shaft. Took off my belt with one hand, trying to fashion a cradle for it from a nearby branch but it didn't work out....in the end, I pushed toward the head - collapsed the saw as much as possible - and let go. The bar flexed horribly, bat the shaft was safe. Went for a hand winch and freed the saw. The bar actually sprang back true, no sign of deformation!
Thats what happens when you overthink ****!

Doing favors for people for free.

Co worker at his moms house I just bought the 2100cd, she wanted the tree trunk cut, it had a pipe inside the tree. Luckily I bought the 404 saw chain repair kits at $5 each four kits fixed the chain, I’m minus $20+ shipping for a favor.

My neighbor here wanted a tree cut. My new 575 with a new 3/8” chain. The tree was rotten inside with a hole through it, not thinking there was a brick inside the tree. There goes that chain the sparks were flying. Another free favor at my cost.

Another neighbor not chain saw related but funny. I took my tractor/plow and leveled the dirt in her garden to plant grass. She told me she didn’t want to bother her son. Never thanked me nor paid me. I was going to tell her I like chocolate cookies but let it slide. Now her grandson gets a flat tire on her lawn tractors trailer. This happened multiple times I repaired the tire, she says she will treat me to mc Donald’s for lunch this was ten years ago I figure those burgers are pretty moldy by now? She called the dog warden on me because my dog roams the yards tracking what was around the night before. He smells the bear, then the bear scares my cat into her inclosed rear porch, the door was open. One more complaint. My other neighbors kids ride dirtbikes sometimes we have bikes too. She calls me to complain about my neighbor making the noise.

I thought moving into the rural area with the elderly would be peaceful. I gather they hate new people and change. I could care less but it’s funny.

I really don’t want anything but a thank you would be nice. Or say what can I do for you? Again I don’t want anything.

Co worker at his moms house I just bought the 2100cd, she wanted the tree trunk cut, it had a pipe inside the tree. Luckily I bought the 404 saw chain repair kits at $5 each four kits fixed the chain, I’m minus $20+ shipping for a favor.

My neighbor here wanted a tree cut. My new 575 with a new 3/8” chain. The tree was rotten inside with a hole through it, not thinking there was a brick inside the tree. There goes that chain the sparks were flying. Another free favor at my cost.

Another neighbor not chain saw related but funny. I took my tractor/plow and leveled the dirt in her garden to plant grass. She told me she didn’t want to bother her son. Never thanked me nor paid me. I was going to tell her I like chocolate cookies but let it slide. Now her grandson gets a flat tire on her lawn tractors trailer. This happened multiple times I repaired the tire, she says she will treat me to mc Donald’s for lunch this was ten years ago I figure those burgers are pretty moldy by now? She called the dog warden on me because my dog roams the yards tracking what was around the night before. He smells the bear, then the bear scares my cat into her inclosed rear porch, the door was open. One more complaint. My other neighbors kids ride dirtbikes sometimes we have bikes too. She calls me to complain about my neighbor making the noise.

I thought moving into the rural area with the elderly would be peaceful. I gather they hate new people and change. I could care less but it’s funny.

I really don’t want anything but a thank you would be nice. Or say what can I do for you? Again I don’t want anything.
You sound like a good ol neighbor.

To many boners to really count.If you have only got a saw stuck a few times in your cutting life you must be a miracle cutter.I have been cutting for 55 years and I come close tor get my saw pinched more times than I care to admit
The first day I started on a spruce pulp wood contract in 1979 I bought a brand new Husky 162 with 2 chains three feet of snow on the ground started to make a cutting face first tree I dropped went down perfect but there was butt rot I went to slice off the rotten piece cut right into a rock,I changed chains Dropped two more trees and hit an old cast iron cook stove leg sticking out of the moss.What a way to start. That stove must have been from an old lumber camps of the turn of the century.
Years ago when I lived at my Dads fishing resort I went over my 630 Jonsereds cleaned it up new muffler and clutch 2 oclock in the morning went outside fired it tuned the needles sounds like a million rev it again hear a loud whirring flying object noise . You guessed I did not have the bar and chain on it.That old clutch shot over the hill into the swamp never to be seen again.
Another expensive lesson learned.
Kash

Your neighbours sound like assh0les.

That looks photoshopped to me ,don't see any tracks in the snow

Marshall maybe it snowed after the incident and the warm tractor caused the snow to melt off of it. Anyway good observation. I can see where the tree was cut part way and he looks like, tried to push it the rest of the way with the bucket, barber chair.............. problem

Awhile back I had a toolvault site box in the bed of my truck for storage relying on god and gravity to hold her in . Trying to slack drop a buddy outa a ditch she got to shuffling around and basically jumped through my back window needless to say the back of the cab was so f$&@?d that it ended up with a custom cut sheet of plexiglass and a home built headache rack

Back